Local Beach: Monifieth, St Andrews and Pettycur Bay
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Winter Wetsuit Help

Postby Col348 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:27 am

Hi

Im very new to the kitesurfing world and looking to buy a decent wetsuit to see me through the Scottish Spring, 'Summer' and Autumn. Have settled for a 5/4 and I've narrowed it down to 2....

ONeill Epic 5/4 and the Billabong Absolute X 5/4

I'm happy that they are rear and front zip respectively.

Can anyone give me their words of wisdom. Both are same price online right now (around £165)

Thanks in advance!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Re: Winter Wetsuit Help

Postby iriejohn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:07 pm

I always use ONeil because their wetsuits fit my shape, and I have a 3/2 Epic for summer use. Don't know about Billabong but whatever fits best I guess.

Rob_85
Rare Poster
Gear: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rob_85 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:28 pm

As Iriejohn says, whatever fits best. Try them on, or try on whatever your local surf shop has. The best fitting suit will be warmest and most comfortable as different brands tend to aim at slightly different bodyshapes.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:06 pm

I'm a long time fan of Xcel suits ... the hooded 5/4 front zip, either Infiniti, Revolt, or Drylock. You can sometimes get really good deals off amazon, particularly if you're an odd size -- particularly big and small people get cheap wetsuits. ;-)

Ripcurl flashbomb also a good suit.

I just got a Patagonia R4, worn it once, may be best suit I've ever had. Always wanted one, they are on sale right now, at least in Canada/USA.

I don't trust wetsuits that say "entry level". To me, that seems code for "not as warm as our line of good wetsuits, but cheap". Not sure how cold your water is, but you wouldn't get away with that surfing around here (Canada). However, kiting a little different, aren't in the water as much, unless gear failure and a swim.

Return to “Kitesurfing”