Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Repair Hack

forum for kitesurfers


kiterocky
Frequent Poster
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:25 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Re: Naish Repair Hack

Postby kiterocky » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:07 pm

Agree boycott until they change system....by the way top kite...but octopus really shit system hope they will change soon so i ll buy only naish

User avatar
Gonzolinho
Medium Poster
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:11 pm
Kiting since: 2050
Gear: too much

Re: Naish Repair Hack

Postby Gonzolinho » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:40 pm

tautologies wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:44 pm
OP looks like a nice solution. Good post.
Granted I have not had much problems with the Octopus, but it doesn't take much more time to fix than any other system. I like it because it works, it is clean and you do not have hoses rotting / popping off. I much prefer a one-pump system over a multi-pump system.
Also Naish did have kites with multi pump systems and if they had sold, they would probably put out more of them. I just think people prefers a one-pump system.
I think you are missing the point. None of them is talking about a multi pump system..... Please try staying objective. This is not profanity.
Can you name some kites where you saw some hoses rotting or popping off?

I really appreciate your input to the forum but regarding octopus sys your arguments start getting ridiculous.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 553
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:26 pm
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Varna,Bulgaria

Re: Naish Repair Hack

Postby Ludmil » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:14 pm

Gonzolinho wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:40 pm
tautologies wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:44 pm
OP looks like a nice solution. Good post.
Granted I have not had much problems with the Octopus, but it doesn't take much more time to fix than any other system. I like it because it works, it is clean and you do not have hoses rotting / popping off. I much prefer a one-pump system over a multi-pump system.
Also Naish did have kites with multi pump systems and if they had sold, they would probably put out more of them. I just think people prefers a one-pump system.


I think you are missing the point. None of them is talking about a multi pump system..... Please try staying objective. This is not profanity.
Can you name some kites where you saw some hoses rotting or popping off?

I really appreciate your input to the forum but regarding octopus sys your arguments start getting ridiculous.
I wonder what are your arguments...
L.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:11 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth
Gear: Naish Pivots, F-One Mito 5.8,
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Repair Hack

Postby jonysan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:43 pm

I was being sarcastic when I suggested Alexeyga should boycott Naish Kites, as if this forum even with all it's active members could alter the global sales of a Kite manufacturer by a boycott is ridiculous.
Also it seems the complainers don't seem to have Naish kites, do they want them and are upset that their prejudices stop them from purchasing, or is it something more subliminal.
I have kited since 1999 and only owned Naish kites, from the original two line AR 3.5, up to the 2018 Pivots, can't remember when the Octopus system was initiated, but, I have never, repeat never had a leak or problem with the Octopus system.
and that is on kites I have kept for up to three years, and in the case of two Helix kites ( the funky leading edges ones) I used them for two years, and then keep them in the shed for four years, then used them for a few months before selling them , no leaks.
Other experiences may vary.
I use them because I like the build quality and performance, but mostly because the graphics are nice, I'm shallow that way !

User avatar
kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:42 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: uk
Contact:

Re: Naish Repair Hack

Postby kjorn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:54 pm

cglazier wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:24 pm
The octopus system has been easy to access for years now (although is was a pain before that). We rarely see a failure of the octopus strut connections. It is certainly more durable than systems with exposed hoses and nipples.. which we more often have to repair.
This. I've had a few nipples break. I've also had splits in the little black hoses. Naish kites have been fine, everything is tucked away and protected. If anything I'd prefer it if all kites used octopus.

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 10146
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Naish Repair Hack

Postby tautologies » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:39 pm

Gonzolinho wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:40 pm
I think you are missing the point. None of them is talking about a multi pump system..... Please try staying objective. This is not profanity.
Can you name some kites where you saw some hoses rotting or popping off?

I really appreciate your input to the forum but regarding octopus sys your arguments start getting ridiculous.
Hi. Obviously I do not think my argument is ridiculous just because it is different from yours. :-) I also like learning about other viewpoints.

Anytime there is an argument over the single inflation we all fall into 3 camps. One camp who likes the octopus system, one camp who likes the external single inflation system and one camp that prefers multipump systems. Personally I prefer the octopus system because it is simple, it works and to me it is easy to work with. It would not be highest up on my list for kite purchasing decision, but kind of on the secondary list of features I want.

I was arguing to the people say they just want a multi pump system with individual bladders that Naish had a kite like that and they removed it.

Secondly I have seen a ton of kites with external multi-pump kites have problems. There are a few things that happened that will not happen on an internal system. The first is accidental disconnection. The rubber hose would just come off...if the kite crashed the probability of that increased. It canpt happen on an internal system because the the pressure in the bladder keeps the system connected. The second was that the hoses themselves would become brittle over time when exposed to sunlight. Another issue was that people would not clamp the hoses so the kite would deflate if there is a leak.
Some of this has been mitigated with covers etc. My point is not so say that the external system is horrible, but to say it has its own idiosyncrasies. I also wanted to make sure people who prefers multi-pump systems understand they might not be representing everyone. Definitely not trying to be ridiculous tho. :-)

winduser
Rare Poster
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:24 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: 2014
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Repair Hack

Postby winduser » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:56 pm

I had problem with Ozone, North and Wainman kites never with Naish kites. Alexeyga shall will boycott all of these makers....

duncan1981
Rare Poster
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:47 am
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Sandy Bay Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Cruden Bay
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone C4
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Repair Hack

Postby duncan1981 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:34 pm

Ridden naish on and off for 12 years they can make great kites but.... Boycott them let’s make naish great again ;0)

User avatar
Gonzolinho
Medium Poster
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:11 pm
Kiting since: 2050
Gear: too much

Re: Naish Repair Hack

Postby Gonzolinho » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:05 am

tautologies wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi. Obviously I do not think my argument is ridiculous just because it is different from yours. :-) I also like learning about other viewpoints.
OK, so it will be interesting to see if you can walk your talk.
Didn´t say your arguments are ridiculous, the fews you have, but the WAY you argument is so, if somebody says something about Naish products in a negative way. That´s a difference but ok, I understand you are protecting your company. "Brand affiliation: none" - should be changed.... :)
tautologies wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:39 pm
Anytime there is an argument over the single inflation we all fall into 3 camps. One camp who likes the octopus system, one camp who likes the external single inflation system and one camp that prefers multipump systems. Personally I prefer the octopus system because it is simple, it works and to me it is easy to work with. It would not be highest up on my list for kite purchasing decision, but kind of on the secondary list of features I want.
OK, got your point but you were talking about only two groups before and forgot about the priority ones of external single inflation.(see my answer about your way of argueing above) Nobody mentioned mutlipump before except you.(if so, please help me find the passage in one of the posts). Of course there is still a small group of fans of this system, too. But I think we can neglect them if disussing the pros ond cons of Octopus Sys. :wink:
tautologies wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:39 pm
I was arguing to the people say they just want a multi pump system with individual bladders that Naish had a kite like that and they removed it.

Secondly I have seen a ton of kites with external multi-pump kites have problems. There are a few things that happened that will not happen on an internal system. The first is accidental disconnection. The rubber hose would just come off...if the kite crashed the probability of that increased. It canpt happen on an internal system because the the pressure in the bladder keeps the system connected.
OK, theoretically right. But when did you see this happen in the recent years? Not 10 years old kite models please. I asked you before what fabricat you saw hoses rotting and popping off. Still waiting for your answer...
tautologies wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:39 pm
The second was that the hoses themselves would become brittle over time when exposed to sunlight. Another issue was that people would not clamp the hoses so the kite would deflate if there is a leak.
Good point! What happens if you have a leakage in a strut (bladder or valve leakage) - right! The whole pressure of the kite will find its way through the Octopus into freedom. Good saftey issue by the way :thumb:
The hose I CAN close if I want and/or don´t forget the Octopus will remain open in this direction at all times.
tautologies wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:39 pm
Some of this has been mitigated with covers etc. My point is not so say that the external system is horrible, but to say it has its own idiosyncrasies. I also wanted to make sure people who prefers multi-pump systems understand they might not be representing everyone. Definitely not trying to be ridiculous tho. :-)
Another point which you sure will make a joke of as with all other points is that due to the strong webbing of the "service opening" for the Ocotopus sys the kite tends to invert more easily at that point compared to other kites. (predetermined breaking point)
Especially the two strut models "Fly" and "Ride". Of course this does not happen to a professional like you but for school and teaching usage it happens more often with Naish kites than with other fabricates. It is also a result of the fact that the Octopus valve only opens with a differential pressure so the pressure in the struts will never be the same as the main front tube. The pressure is always lower of the amount of the differential pressure. This is why Naish kites like to invert easier, especially the Ride. None of our instructors prefer them for teaching any more, tough it would be a great kite for that.

Don´t misunderstand me I am not trying to personally attack you but you are so "blindfolded" to obvious problems that I could easily call you "Robby" himself :lol:

There is a reason why you have to look very closely to find schools that have Naish in their range any more and also the same occures with kite repair centers. Why is more than the half of them not repairing Naish or the Octopus system any more? Ok, maybe your sailmaker in Maui still repairs it, so your world is still a good one :wink:

last point - regarding UV damaging the external rubber hoses. When did you see a kite lieing inside up on the beach? Otherwise the cloth of the canopy will protect it more than enough from UV ray :wink:


and to all the other fanboys: have a nice day :bye:

User avatar
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2332
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: Naish Repair Hack

Postby cglazier » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:39 am

What silliness.
Naish makes great kites that hold up well and are widely used including in schools.
Naish kites are as easy to repair as most and much easier than some of the cheap brands. (I have helped repair hundreds of kites at my local shop.)
The Naish octupus system is very robust and works very well. Some people are still critical of its shortcomings from many years ago.. which have long since been fixed.

I was out today in gusty conditions on my Naish kite and I felt most confident that I was riding one of the best quality reliable kites available. (I also fly other top brands like North and Ozone)
All other things being equal I prefer the octupus system over exposed tubes on a kite as do thousands of other happy Naish riders.

:-) CG
(been kiting for 19 years, owned 53 kites from 10 different companies ..all of which I paid for)


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alford, Bing [Bot], BOEMIX, flipper231, Flyboy, Jukka, jyka, Lemonma, or6, Ramkiter and 17 guests

cron