RustyChain
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: None

Kiteboarding kit advise (Heavy rider)

Postby RustyChain » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:20 pm

Hey all,

I’m in the process of taking lessons and am looking to the future for what I need to ride. I’ve done a ton of reading and got some advice from my instructor, but I wanted to lay out my plan here in the hopes that you guys will help my save my money by not wasting on the wrong setup.

Me: Beginner, 105kg

Locations: I live in a light wind region, Wisconsin, USA. I plan to ride here maybe 60% of the time. I also plan to snow kite. Other times Florida, western Caribbean, Yucatán, or other destinations.

Boards: Twin tip, start with a 150x45 and add a 138x43 for travel later.

Kites: 17m Turbine to start, then add a 12m (not sure what yet)

I’m not stuck on the turbine, but options are more limited in the larger sizes and turbines seem to be inexpensive.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read this and offer input.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kiteboarding kit advise (Heavy rider)

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:35 pm

Sounds good so far. Board sizes make sense.
17 and 12 too.
Depends on the wind...if you only have light wind to learn, a 17 is a must to get you going. And its slow, so easier to predict.
Make always sure to have one hand on the quick release when launching and landing. The using a big kite is no problem.

Let us know how it all went with learning and processing. Always interesting to read how people started and progressed with their gear and conditions.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:45 pm

RustyChain wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:20 pm
Boards: Twin tip, start with a 150x45 and add a 138x43 for travel later.
I'm 100kg.

If you are looking at a standard sidecut (like a wakeboard) 150 length is a bit long. You can have more fun and almost exactly the same LW capabilities with a shorter (144-146cm) light wind specific board. I recently advised a new kiter to pick up a 150 Progressive "Manta" as he was also buying a smaller board at the same time. It was bad advice from me and the 2 other 144cm Progressive "Manta's" around here are much more comfortable to ride, while still having the same LW capability up to a 115kg rider. And the shorter length allows less swing weight and seems to handle chop better because the board can avoid or fit into the chop under more control. I am pretty bummed that it is my fault that this guy bought this board on my advice.

Overall, tail width is where you gain the LW capabilities, Though the trade off is less control over that wider tail vs a longer (narrower) tail at high speeds. But since you are getting a smaller board too, you can just change boards once you can't hold down the wide tail.

Reverse sidecut (snowboard) boards are not my expertise, but they work. Just do not necessarily take the above advice and apply it to them.

RustyChain wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:20 pm
Kites: 17m Turbine to start, then add a 12m (not sure what yet)

I’m not stuck on the turbine, but options are more limited in the larger sizes and turbines seem to be inexpensive.
During your lessons, get on a 17m and make sure you get some time with it while you have an instructor on hand. Or ask for a "rain check" for a half hour of flying one (or yours later) with an instructor there would do you good if you do not encounter winds safe for that kite while your are still taking lessons.

But yes, in a location with regular light winds, you will need a 17m anyway.

That said, it is still recommended you use a 12 (14m at your weight) for a while before going down or up from that size.
Last edited by Matteo V on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Sounds good to me too, 17 and 12 will get you through probably 90% of kiteable days in florida at your weight.

The only thing I might suggest to do differently, and it totally depends on your wind, is to start with the 12m and add the 17 later. A 12 is still a large kite and pretty slow, and a 17m may be too slow and heavy to really help you get the hang of how the kite operates. A 12m is more of a "normal" size so it may be easier for you to control to really dial in your water starts and transitions when changing direction. A 17 is totally doable too, though, and if your wind is fairly light I'd definitely start with that so you can at least get on the water and get riding.

If you're looking for input on a 17m to buy, I just tried the new Best Roca and am amazed at how nicely it flies, almost no bar pressure and feels as light in the turns as my current 12m, just slower... 2017/2018 Roca, or whatever the Eleveight light wind kite is called would be my vote. I haven't flown the new turbines though so I can't compare the two.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:12 pm

105 isn't heavy.

It'll depend on your wind, the Florida guys will know. 17 when it's light sounds fine cos it'll be a while before you have technique and finesse to suit a 12. Or maybe 14, depends on how you feel the next step down will be, relative to your wind.

My opinion is still bigger boards for learning, then light wind, then sell them or keep them for shits 'n' giggles.

RustyChain
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: N/A

Postby RustyChain » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:39 pm

I really appreciate everyone's help and advice.

I'm looking at a more square, door style, light wind board in the 150 range. I figure I'd use it to to learn with and keep it later for light wind days in Wisconsin. I would want to get a split twin tip for traveling. Mainly due to the fact that I can can bring it with me on work trips to warm weather. A regular board might be a deal breaker on that front.

My last lesson was in on a Cabrina 18m kite. During the lesson. It was about 9-10kts and built to about 17kts I would guess. People were out on 12m kites.
It was slow but manageable. I'm working on waterstart. I can reliably get up both directions, but was having trouble losing momentum. I guess i didnt understand what I needed to do with the kite after I got up. I did get in one fluke ride of about 100 yards.
I'm hesitant to start with the 12m because I don't think I'll be able to ride at home except for the somewhat rare windy day. I will able to travel and ride, but over the next several months, the only real consistent time I have to practice will be Wisconsin

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:20 pm

Sounds like you have it figured out. With your last statement, though this is rare for me to give, go with the 17m.

Have fun, and stay safe.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Slappysan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:09 pm

If you plan to snow kite why waste your money on a huge $$$ LEI kite?

Get a FlySurfer Sonic 2 15m or Soul 15m. Sure they are expensive but you are getting 2 kites instead of 1. Make sure you DO NOT get the Soinc 2 FR though, just get the regular version. And you could go with 18m or 21m if you wanted but I'd advise 15m because of my next piece of advise.

I know you are just beginning but sounds like a hydrofoil will be in your near future. 15m is pretty much as big as you want for foiling so you wont be wasting money if you take to foiling.

If you are set on an LEI I would stay the hell away from heavy LEI kites. We are talking 9 knots here so get a kite that still flies well in 9 knots. Single strut kites are the way to go here. LF Solo, Airush Ultra, North Mono, Naish Boxer, etc (all the foil kites do as well). [Airush Ultra 15m is a beauty of a kite]. Again all these kites foil well too.

Now if you want a LW door board to progress on, get an A Boards Glider http://www.aboards.eu/public/?Products:Boards:Glider or maybe LF Libre http://liquidforcekites.com/product/twintips/libre/

If you want a great all around TT for bigger guys then pick up a Shinn King Gee.

Windigo1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Aylmer
Style: Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:35 pm

I'm a 100 kg too and also living in a crappy wind area.. 17 and 12m sounds like a good plan and the board size sounds good too you could even go bigger my biggest board is a Spleene Door 164x50 I started foiling so I don't use it that much anymore but it was great for riding in sub 10 knots for many years.

I'm not a huge fan of the Turbine myself I find it very slow turning it's better to demo a few kites if you can before dropping a few grands on a quiver. I also own a bunch of foil kites and I've had many Flysurfers if you're just getting started I don't think it's the way to go swimming in with a deflated foil kite all wet and tangled when the wind died on you is not going to help your appreciation of this sport! That's something to look into when you get better and you want to push the limits of light wind kiting.

GJibb
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1
Gear: kites and boards

Postby GJibb » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:09 am

Don’t listen to anyone about kite size UNLESS they are your weight or higher and learned on that size kite.
I’m same weight and learned on a 16m. Had I started with a 12 I would have never learned and probably just quit the sport.

Return to “Kitesurfing”