Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot SST vs Ozone Reo

Forum for kitesurfers
mmeyers12
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I wish I had a local beach....
Style: Freeride, Waves, Hydrofoil
Gear: 10m Fone Diablo
8m Orbit
7m GTS
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot SST vs Ozone Reo

Postby mmeyers12 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:34 pm

I've just thought of something. We should also consider line lengths. Ozone flies on 25m lines standard while slingshot is on 20m lines. This is going to make a big difference in the looping of the kite!

Has anyone flown both kites with the same line lengths?

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 am

I´ve had Reos V3 in 5 / 7 / 10
Swapped to the V4 in 5 & 7.
The V4 in 7 is a dream! Super fast, light bar pressure, no power peaks no matter how fast you throw the kite around. Very stable in the air (drift). Even if you totally ride into the kite and all lines go totally slack, the kite simply sinks down in a stable position. As soon as the lines tighten again, the kite continues to fly like normal with instant power delivery.
The V4 in 5 was a nightmare for me, however. Totally no low-end pull unless you move the kite A LOT and/or ride very fast (which is nearly impossible in our messy choppy conditions). Brutal power peaks when you move it fast, very on/off. There is a HUGE difference in every aspect between the 5 and the 7 V4.
I changed the 5 m Reo V4 with a 5 m Wave SST (2017). Have only ridden the SST once and rather underpowered, but I liked it a lot. Very, very smooth power delivery and still fast enough (clearly slower than the Reo V4, though). Lowend seems to be much easier accessible than with the Reo V4.
Recently I´ve purchased the SST (2018) in 9 m² and plan to sell the Reo V3 10 m² (I want a faster kite with less bar pressure than the 10 m Reo). Couldn´t test the SST yet, will report here asap!
The Reo V3 in 10 m² has good low end and very nice depower potential, no problem to switch from the 10 to the 7 at around 20 kts. The 10 then still feels comfortably. But it is a bit slow and the bar pressure is rather high. I really hope the SST in 9 won´t let me down...

petato2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: la manga
Favorite Beaches: la manga
Style: freeride
Gear: airush, evo,
Has thanked: 0

Postby petato2 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Hi Onda what you day seems aligned with Ulx with regards to SST in smaller sizes.

I am looking a 7m, but have not enough budget for a new Reo v4, I am between Reo 2015 V3 or SST 2017.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)

Postby Onda » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:03 pm

The difference between the 7 m Reo V3 and V4 is not huge. The V4 compared with the V3 has slightly lower bar pressure, is a bit faster and has a bit more high end / better depower.
I cannot comment on the 7 m SST, sorry.

magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster

Postby magic%20Ed » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:49 am

The difference between Reo And SST has always been the same: Reo flies smoother in the turns, but with hardly any power, while SST can give you power in the turns if you need it. For me, the Reo is just not enough power when I need it, but I'm a heavy guy (94 kg). So if you are used to a bit more power or are on the heavier side, SST is your kite. Mind you: saying that the SST always has power is not true in my opinion, you can choose to send it with or without power.

About sizing: 8 m2 or smaller is great for every wave kite, for SST as well, where 5,6,7 are my absolute favorites. Any bigger than 8 and the kite is not bad, but wavekiting with a big kite is just difficult, specially with onshore winds.

All sizes float rather well, specially when you pull in the bar. It is a kind of floating backstall option.

My conclusion: two very good wave kites with personal riding style between them.

mmeyers12
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I wish I had a local beach....
Style: Freeride, Waves, Hydrofoil
Gear: 10m Fone Diablo
8m Orbit
7m GTS
Been thanked: 0

Postby mmeyers12 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:46 am

ciscokitesurfer wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:15 am
I had 6,8 10 and 12 2016 sst kites. I sold them because of to much power when looping but the drifting is amazing.
also
1-very well built
2-easy relaunch
3-medium bar pressure
I like them a lot but for surfing, you need to loop the kite and not being pull of the board.

I ride NEOs and I am not going to change kites again.
When you flew the SST, do you remember what size bar and what length where the lines?

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:49 pm

I had 20 , 23 and 27 on small medium and large bar. I like the 20 line with the small bar (17 inches) on all my kites but on the light wind, I used the 27-meter lines on the 23-inch bar. Also I used the 27 meter in a spot that has a lot of wind shadow. cheers

Onda
Frequent Poster
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)

Postby Onda » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:34 am

Update on the 9 m² SST:
I´ve flown it exactly 3 times. Totally useless for waveriding from my point of view! This sluggish monster generates way too much power / pull for me. Veeeery slow, veeeeeeeeeery much pull. Nice drift, though...
Sold it again, staying with the 10 m Reo V3. Still searching for an alternative...

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:56 am

@ Onda, give an Ozone 10m V4 a testride...you will be amazed how it feels / flies against the V3!
I had V3 in 12/9/7/5 and changed them last year into V4....Now I am very happy, I did not like the V3 i many ways...the V4 is a dream to me, smooth, stable even in gusting wind, where the V3 had a way to jellyfish its tips a bit the V4 does not move, it absorbes the gusting winds, it tunrs so well you can do anything you like without getting punished.

It hangs in the air when others are just falling down.
In its lowend, just give it like max 3 sining strokes and your gone.

I will not buy the new V5 which is coming soon now, as I am totally happy with what I have , but I will test it as soon as it is here, but it will have to be a whole lot better ( how?) for me to get rid of my V4.

Btw I have 82kg, I ad 3m extensions to the 12m V4 so totalling in 28m use an Airush sector V5 54 and am mowing the lawn together with the guys on their big flysurfers... the lowend of the 12 goes up quite a bit...on 25 m it is also a kite with a big high end.

The 5 m I fly with 23m which seems to be the perfect match for me, I tried it on 20m it stays too far back getting pretty direct...on 25 m it flies to far forward if you let it, 23M meter on a 45cm bar seems to do the job.
( I only use directional boards)

cheers, dude :cool2:

marioparacuru
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 60
Local Beach: Northeast, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Best wave spots in Ceará
Cape town
French Polynesia
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: More than 10 kites from different brands

Postby marioparacuru » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:35 am

I have the 7m v4 reo and tried the 2017 7m sst. For me it's obvious they fly differently but I had no problem at all using the sst for wave riding. The construction looks good but sst uses a simple ripstop material while reo uses double ripstop. Off course if we consider the same price range I would go with Ozone always due to its large experience in wave kites construction. I have also v3 and for me the kites are perfect, a bit more bar pressure. Especially the 10 flies amazingly good for the size. But I'm somebody would say exactly the opposite. Good for me may not be good for you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”