deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Drysuits circa 2018

Postby deniska » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:50 am

go Soul. Can't go wrong.. I got mine on sale for $450 3 years ago.. and still using it after 200 sessions..
It does start to develop slow leaks at the seams (easy fix with aquaseal).. so I think I'll change it for next season.
Gonna get another Soul for sure!

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:22 am

I have 4 dry suits now, all Soul, however 2 are Gull Soul Heat , one is Gull Soul Classic,also badged Fugitive, and the other is an Ocean Rodeo Soul, the last two have pee zips, and many more little pockets in the jackets,all have the Horseshoe type neck entry with waterproof plastic zipper YouCan easily zip up yourself, all are ankle seals, I would never recommend the full bootie type for our sport as the rubber bunches up under your foot, horrible ! But great for sub aqua.
All my suits are under 2 years old and the Gull Heat are a year apart but exactly the same with black jacket, these are slightly lighter with less material around the neck area with thinner materials in general, and these are the two I keep in rotation for regular use as they feel just right for me,I don't like the Pee zip as it gets in the way with my Ion B2 shorts harness,
As with all my dry suits, past and present I cut off the internall shoulder straps as these are totally unessary and add weight and bulk and the hoods that came with the last two suits I have had them removed for the same reason flipping to much bulk around the neck area,
My undersuits are the thin 2-3 mm one piece undersuits from Gull, developed for the sailors in the 2012 Olympics, alllmost skin tight but warm and you don't know they are on, thicker diver ones are awfully bulky and get far too warm.
Drysuits have come a long way since my first ones from typhoon in the late 70s, now they are dry! Comfortable, easy to get on and off yourself, stylish, but now cost a fortune, but well worth it as they seem to last forever now there are cuffs around all the latex parts to stop sunlight degrading the seals.
My last two suits mentioned above are both as brand new worn once, rinsed and kept in my wardrobe, both I would sell for £300 each, I weigh
90kg 5ft 9inch and they fit great if a little long in the leg,.(my normal size is Xl)

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot KeyHD 2010 10
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Boardriding Maui Cloud 1st Gen 17
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Liquid Force Solo v2 2016 6.5
RRD Obsession Mk9 2017 12
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Liquid Force Fish w/Foil Fish
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:36 pm

I ended up picking up a used Patagonia Kitesuit drysuit for cheap. However there are some leaks in the knee areas that I'm trying to fix. Post is here if any of you drysuit veterans are willing to chime in: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2401301

@Foil: can you shoot me a link to the Gul undersuit you speak of? I see a couple of "onesie" type Gul suits online. I believe the one I was looking at had "radiation freece" in the name. One thing about it that I was concerned about was the exposed zipper and if it could poke through the drysuit cause that would be very bad.
Foil wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:22 am
My undersuits are the thin 2-3 mm one piece undersuits from Gull, developed for the sailors in the 2012 Olympics, alllmost skin tight but warm and you don't know they are on, thicker diver ones are awfully bulky and get far too warm.

blu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift Sabfoil Gong

Postby blu » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:49 pm

NP Lucifer is working fine for me, but I'm not going out in less than 10C. Always prefer wetsuit like XCEL Drylock. Safer to swim in and don't feel like in the balloon.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:33 am

Jake-Skymonster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Longniddry, Scotland
Gear: Cabrinha FX / Moto / Contra
Core GTS / XR / Nexus
Ozone Edge
Peter Lynn Swell
Brand Affiliation: www.skymonster.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Jake-Skymonster » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Each to their own, just like with wetsuits dude. NP Lucifer had some issues in the past, I'm using it for teaching when the weather isn't playing the ball and it works well - no issues with leaking and I really suck with maintenance. Not a big fan of kiting in a drysuit - a mix of Mystic Legend / Majestic / NP Recon (depending on which one is the driest on the day / session / time of the day haha) works well for me in Scotland in the winter. We've sold a number of Mystic Volcanic and you really need a cold-cold weather for this as most of our clients were massively toasty in them in 5C - sweet if temperatures drop below 2C and it's a bit less baggy than the most.

Return to “Kitesurfing”