Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Liquid Force Fish w/Foil Fish
Dakine Pyro Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Drysuits circa 2018

Postby KitingPolak » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:45 pm

While I'm OK kiting in my 6/5/4 wetsuit into the teens (oC), I'd like to be able to stretch my season here in the great lakes just a little bit further. Doesn't seem like there are many up-to-date reviews around drysuits suitable for kiteboarding. I would like to get one if I can find something for ~$500 or less. For the $1k+ price that some go for, well, I'd rather get another kite. I also think I'd rather go with the thinner goretex type suits rather than the neoprene options for the extra flexibility (I could also use it kayaking). The obvious options are:

1. O'Neil Boost: Inexpensive but quite a few poor reviews regarding zipper failure, etc.
2. NP Lucifer: Not sure if I want to kite with :evil: Also, people on AMZN complain that it leaks. Price is right thought..
3. Ocean Rodeo Soul: Expensive; but perhaps I could find 2017 model for ~$500?

There are a few other brands of wetsuits available on Amazon, etc. such as Gul, Crewsaver, and Stohlquist, but I'm not sure how well they'd work for kiteboarding. The minimal list of things I think I need to look for includes:
1. Breathable
2. Non-integrated booties
3. Not too baggy, so I can still retain some degree of directional authority when bodydragging
4. Pee zipper (added)
Anything else?

Does anyone know if there's a list of drysuits that are acceptable for kiteboarding that I could refer to? Appreciate any other suggestions/lessons-learned.

Thank!
Last edited by KitingPolak on Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Drysuits circa 2018

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:11 pm

You get what you pay for. Go with the Soul, by far the best for kiteboarding and a great dry suit for anything.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:03 pm

If you haven't tried one, just so you know, while a loose fitting suit is super flexible and supple out of the water, they get squeezed against you with lots of wrinkles on any parts submerged (mostly the legs) and are nowhere near as flexible under water. They're still good suits, but be aware of that. Swimming a long way in a baggy suit would not be great.

Peter

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:54 pm

Get one with pee zipper. I had a mystic drysuit years ago. I think I used it 10-15 times. Inevitably I'd get the thing on, be ready to kite or out there on the water and have to take a pee. What a hassle to get the back zip off and pee.
If you don't get a pee zip, then get some sort of front zip so you get the thing on and off yourself.
Overall on/in the water I didn't find it warmer. Actually colder in the water due to compression.
Benefit is once out and changing you are almost dry and it's warmer to change.

I'm now using a ripcurl flashbomb 5-4 with a Np wind shirt thing underneath. Separate hood and booties +gloves. Impact vest over it. Been out once this spring in 3c. Working good, Super warm.
Recently got the xcel drylock 7mm boots. Fantastic - best boots ever. I was out an hour and my feet were toasty warm!
So I went and bought the Xcel drylock 3 finger 5mm gloves.

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot KeyHD 2010 10
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Boardriding Maui Cloud 1st Gen 17
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Liquid Force Solo v2 2016 6.5
RRD Obsession Mk9 2017 12
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the wetsuit sizing, do they take into consideration additional layers that will need to be worn in the sizing charts or is it wise to "size up"? I suppose I should confirm with the manufacturer of whatever suit I decide to go with but it would be good to know for preliminary stock recon.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:57 pm

KitingPolak wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:09 pm
Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the wetsuit sizing, do they take into consideration additional layers that will need to be worn in the sizing charts or is it wise to "size up"? I suppose I should confirm with the manufacturer of whatever suit I decide to go with but it would be good to know for preliminary stock recon.

Sizing is usually pretty good, meaning there is room for the sufficient "inner clothing" underneath :D

But if so much in doubt, I would buy the drysuit in a shop if possible, a bit more expensive yes, but you can try it and find the best fit for you.
There is HUGE difference, believe me.
Have used drysuits since the 80s windsurfing, so tried many of them.

This winter, loving my GUL GCX4 EVO (Code Zero U-Zip), and I always choose latex socks, SO much warmer than without (you just wear your normal socks underneath), absolutely no comparison :naughty:

8) Peter

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:48 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:54 pm
Get one with pee zipper. I had a mystic drysuit years ago. I think I used it 10-15 times. Inevitably I'd get the thing on, be ready to kite or out there on the water and have to take a pee. What a hassle to get the back zip off and pee.
If you don't get a pee zip, then get some sort of front zip so you get the thing on and off yourself.
Overall on/in the water I didn't find it warmer. Actually colder in the water due to compression.
Benefit is once out and changing you are almost dry and it's warmer to change.

I'm now using a ripcurl flashbomb 5-4 with a Np wind shirt thing underneath. Separate hood and booties +gloves. Impact vest over it. Been out once this spring in 3c. Working good, Super warm.
Recently got the xcel drylock 7mm boots. Fantastic - best boots ever. I was out an hour and my feet were toasty warm!
So I went and bought the Xcel drylock 3 finger 5mm gloves.
I use a 3/2 ripcurl flashbomb w/5mm booties and 5mm flashbomb 3finger gloves, a Hyperflex Playa neoprene hoody and an impact vest over it all. And a cheap oneill hood.
Literally sweating kiting in 35* water and 35* air. I'm sure with a 5/4 you could go extremely cold.

It really depends on your kiting setup, if you kite in side-offshore or far from land or in deep water requiring a potential swim then you will need a thick suit (ie. not a 3/2 in frigid conditions like me).

The neoprene hoody is really the trick to going ultra-cold.

BrunoC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: various
Has thanked: 0

Postby BrunoC » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:15 am

I have an ocean Rodeo soul and can be comfortable as long as the water is still liquid. I have ridden plenty of times right at freezing, with wind chill in the low teens. Just call the folks at OR and give them your measurements; they will sort you out. Key thing is to get the seals right; there will be plenty of room for lawyering. When it is really cold I have 3-4 top layer and 2 bottom layers. Never had to swim in and don’t want to...so I only ride when there is some kind on onshore component to the wind when I am in the drysuit.

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot KeyHD 2010 10
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Boardriding Maui Cloud 1st Gen 17
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Liquid Force Solo v2 2016 6.5
RRD Obsession Mk9 2017 12
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:14 am

For those who have a drysuit with integrated "socks" how do you try the suit? Inside out? Seems like there could be potential for funk if you can't blow air through it....

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:02 am

Very easy to dry the inside of the suit by just inverting the suit. Also the new breathable drysuit fabrics dry quite quickly compared to wetsuits.

Return to “Kitesurfing”