Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: SupaEZ Where have you been?

Postby andylc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:36 am

I wasn't really spending time on this forum until recently, but it has to be pretty unlikely that whatever is discussed on here has a big effect on the way the sport in general is going.
My personal feeling about freestyle kitesurfing is that although I occasionally try it a bit, it is just too hard for most of us to get really into, so naturally it doesn't get discussed that much. I can count on one hand how many people I've seen unhooking at my local spots. The only ones I have ever seen doing it properly are the Bridge family, and they are all competing professionally.
Other disciplines of the sport ie strapless riding, 'airstyle', wavering, foiling - these are accessible to the average to good rider so naturally there is more discussion about them. Equally professional sportsmen as a rule are not going to spend their time chatting on forums - they are too busy training and competing. I don't think riders at that level really care much about the opinions of people like us, and rightly so.
That said I do agree at least about the judging of KOTA - far too much value was put on doing a board off, and the really powered and crazy stuff done by Jesse Richman was not properly scored, especially the round he went out of. Why this is I'm not sure, but it seems pretty unlikely to me that it is anything to do with kiteforum!
The other problem that freestyle kitesurfing has (I would think) is that it is always going to struggle to be a spectator sport. Tricks are low down and fast, from a distance probably difficult to see, and your average Joe Blogs probably has no way to tell just how difficult they are. Do a huge jump on the other hand and even from a distance anyone will be impressed. Hence KOTA has much more appeal.

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sandras » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:57 am

Starsky great to see you still here, whatever username you use .
You’ve done many many very informative posts and great contribution.
Respect and appreciated!

Can’t agree with your last post though.
Yes, the forum is the sum of its contributors, so if there is a huge interest in unhooked freestyle this area will grow.
(as it happened to hydrofoiling that I believe Toby has not ever touched one…)

And since we are talking about unhooked freestyle and this is the podium for bottom up feedback to the companies:
* I personally do not have any interest in unhooked freestyle.
It’s a combination of :
a) I don’t like it enough
b) I find it too difficult/ unreachable for my skill and fitness
c) I don't want to risk injuries for it

* I personally find the hype of it overproportional.
I feel stupid to know that when I buy a North Evo or Rebel I'm paying teamriders to make videos in fancy locations or to tour the world to compete in a discipline unrelated to my riding and to develop a kite I don't ride.
(And I'm sure that it's not Vegas sales that support it but Evos and Rebels subsidize it)

I would be very happy to buy from smaller brands that specialize in what they are doing and have teamriders that ride that particulary style. (BRM, Zeeko, Gong, Storm etc)

And this forum lets me voice my opinion

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:52 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:24 pm
Hey Laughinman have you ever kited with Starsky ? You are both from Ontario.
No he's from Kingston and I am from the Sarnia area, we are basically at opposite ends of the province and Ontario is pretty big... I bet it would be 6 hours driving to get there. It is possible he has kited at KP with me without knowing. Day 2 of 20knots NW is worth the drive at my home spot.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:12 pm

Thanks

Big Wally
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tanzania
Favorite Beaches: Wherever there is Blue water
Style: Ocean only
Gear: Undecided
Has thanked: 0

Postby Big Wally » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:11 pm

Now we are learning some Geography! Amazing what you can learn on here.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:53 am

Laughingman wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:52 pm
PullStrings wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:24 pm
Hey Laughinman have you ever kited with Starsky ? You are both from Ontario.
No he's from Kingston and I am from the Sarnia area, we are basically at opposite ends of the province and Ontario is pretty big... I bet it would be 6 hours driving to get there. It is possible he has kited at KP with me without knowing. Day 2 of 20knots NW is worth the drive at my home spot.
If we all chip in you can go on assignment and report back to us,maybe a long weekend would work.Pics and an informative interview. If that works out maybe head southwest and find the cave fokiten is hiding in.Road trip! :dance:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:45 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:53 am
If we all chip in you can go on assignment and report back to us,maybe a long weekend would work.Pics and an informative interview. If that works out maybe head southwest and find the cave fokiten is hiding in.Road trip! :dance:
For sure I would definitely like to visit Sandbanks on a SW. Its on my bucket list... but isn't fokiten land locked now? I thought that was why he quit kiting.... I'd need a final destination which included water and wind to really make it a road trip worth taking.
Last edited by Laughingman on Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:13 pm

I see that NW building today, who's hitting Kettle Point?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:24 pm

Capture.JPG
edt wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:13 pm
I see that NW building today, who's hitting Kettle Point?
HAHA edt I live here and I am not going... 25 knots and 2C or 35F... No thank you... hell I could literally get dressed in the house and walk down and I ain't even thinking about it.... :jump: There is no ice though so if you coming up let me know I'll come launch you.
I even saw the sun come out a few times this morning....

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:54 pm

Laughingman they will yank your Canadian card if you think it's too cold. 2C it's practically summer.

https://youtu.be/NO6eScGF9fI

Return to “Kitesurfing”