Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Improve Kite Drifting Technique

Forum for kitesurfers
or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Improve Kite Drifting Technique

Postby or6 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:20 pm

I have started to build in some downloops when dong this "switch stance front side windswell riding" but the boost is so hard that I always have to abandon my wave. Any thoughts?

I'd say either your timing is off (initiate the turn first, then follow up with the downloop), or you have a kite that simply generates too much power in a loop.

Do you depower when downlooping? I tried it yesterday; my kites don't deliver much power when downlooping (or even looping all the way) when depowered.

Or6

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JustAGirl » Mon May 14, 2018 1:46 pm

or6 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:20 pm
I have started to build in some downloops when dong this "switch stance front side windswell riding" but the boost is so hard that I always have to abandon my wave. Any thoughts?

I'd say either your timing is off (initiate the turn first, then follow up with the downloop), or you have a kite that simply generates too much power in a loop.

Do you depower when downlooping? I tried it yesterday; my kites don't deliver much power when downlooping (or even looping all the way) when depowered.

Or6
First turn then loop, yes, no need to depower, just sheet out, that’s enough... from my observations... practice practice practice... I don’t do nearly enough...

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks or6

could be a mixture of several factors:

- it was quite gusty, so maybe when I did the looping a gust just hit the kite,
- as the wind is nearly 100% onshore maybe the kite was positioned too deep in the power zone of the window (this way of "surfing" waves is more of an exercise than anything else in the absence of better conditions),
- in general the kite was quite powered up and I build in down loops when the wind started to drop and as a consequence the whole exercise started to lose momentum,

Maybe I need to down loop with the bar less pulled in. Right now I am not sure how I do it but focus at keeping the radius small.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon May 14, 2018 3:02 pm

vela99 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:04 am
I do not understand what you are trying to say on the wave behavior. Could you please summarize the essence in different words? I am interested, in particular about the peak getting behind.

Words and pics won't do it. You need an animation.

Anyone with a link to one is welcome to beat me to the punch.

And where do you kite?
Attachments
WaveSet1.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”