Local Beach: Bermuda
Style: freestyle
Gear: cabrinha switchblades
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing holiday Germany/ Denmark

Postby PeteB86 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:56 pm

Looking for suggestions... Planning on a 3 week holiday with the family of 4 this coming August. Kitesurfing will not be the focus of the trip , but I am planning on bringing equipment. At the moment deciding between flying into Hamburg or Copenhagen. Sankt Peter-Ording looks like it would be worth a stop, but maybe Rugen/Wiek is as good or better? Also looking at Fehmarn. Looking primarily for flat water/ good fun vibe. My plan is to bring a 7,10 and 12m kites. My preferred wind range is 16 knots to 24 knots. Will accommodations need to be all planned in advance? What do you think about renting a camping van versus a car? Thanks in advance! Pete

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Re: Kitesurfing holiday Germany/ Denmark

Postby Dirk » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:26 pm

August is not the windiest time, but with a bit of luck you can score good days. It is peak holiday time, so planning in advance would be good.
St Peter Ording is worth it, Hamburg, where I live, is also worth a visit. You could also go to Sylt from Hamburg for a couple of days. Germany‘s most beautiful island and no crowds on the water.
Fehmarn is good for kitesurfing, the island itself is boring. Don’t know about Rügen, kitesurfing can be good, but not sure if it is exciting for the family.

The westcoast of Denmark is great for kitesurfing and not far away from Hamburg: Blavand, Hvide Sande or Cold Hawaii aka Klitmøller. It is pretty rural though, the sea, dunes, landscape but not much cultural stuff around. Copenhagen of course is a different story.

Wind can vary from nothing, to 10 - 30 knots (if there is bad weather/a storm which can happen in summer). Your range of kites should be fine, if you can also pack a larger kite you might maximize your days in the water. But then as you wrote that is not your main focus.
Last edited by Dirk on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:31 pm

If you want to travel around Denmark a camper van might be a good idea. There are not many hotels, at least on the west coast. People usually rent holiday homes at the coast and the minimum duration you can rent usually is a week.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dirk » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:35 pm

Don‘t forget a full wetsuit. Weather can vary, but it is never boardshorts and hardly ever shorty weather. I mostly use a 4/3 or 3/2 full suit in August. Traveling to the North of Denmark I would take my 5/3 with me as well.

PeteB86
Rare Poster

Postby PeteB86 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:56 am

Thanks Dirk! Great advice. Sounds like flying into Hamburg is a good choice. I'll start with booking tickets , then ask you later for more specific advice if you don't mind. Will definitely pack the 4/3 :-)

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dirk » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:09 am

No problem. Happy to give you more details.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dirk » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:18 am

Not sure how much sightseeing your family and you want to do, but you can take a 2 hours train from Hamburg to Berlin. Berlin as the capital is Germany‘s largest city and a very exciting place (maybe you can arrange leaving your kitesurfing gear in Hamburg). My favourite budget hotel chain for city trips is Motel1.

PeteB86
Rare Poster

Postby PeteB86 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi Dirk. Flights to Hamburg are now booked. We plan to explore Hamburg , Berlin and Bremen to start (thanks for that suggestion!) then rent a camper van for the last 2 weeks. Do you know what the rules are for parking a campervan in St Peter Ording / Sylt ? Can you drive it near the kitesurfing launch sites and stay overnight?

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Hi Pete,
staying overnight on a parking lot in a campervan is generally prohibited in Germany (and almost all other EU countries). Fines are acceptable, though (ca EUR 50).
My suggestion would be to visit the so-called "South Seas of Denmark". This is the Baltic Sea region with hundreds of small to large islands at Denmark´s east cost - some beaches look like where you´re coming from. There are countless spots for flat water kitesurfing (your requirement), and most places are not crowded at all (and no kitesurfing bans).
The Danish people might seem a bit unemotional, however, you might not get into many deep exchanges there. But the same is valid for the Northern-Germans :wink:

Get yourself the "Wind- and Kitesurfing Guide Europe" of Stoked Publications (App or book). An excellent overview of most spots here.

PeteB86
Rare Poster

Postby PeteB86 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:55 pm

Too Funny about the unemotional Danes! We have quite a few surly Germans here in Bermuda that are great friends of ours. We have learned how to handle them. lol
Looking up the book you recommended

Return to “Kitesurfing”