Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Morocco tips

Postby juandesooka » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:20 am

Looking for any tips, suggestions, and first-hand reports for Morocco travel.

My wife and I are thinking of going in March 2019 for a couple of weeks. We both surf, I kite as well (mostly in surf, foil too, but not really interested in flat water). My wife likes mellow point break type waves without silly crowd levels. My hope is to find somewhere fun and easy for surfing, with some windy moments for me on top. Also if no surf/wind or tired of the beach, we will want to explore some local sights and culture too. Kind of 2/3 beach, 1/3 "travel" kind of trip.

Dakhla is the famous place of course, but not so sure about the Western Sahara....seems more about wind chasing only, vs the other aspects.

Taghazout: she found this place that looks nice ... not into yoga, but the scene looks mellow.
http://www.zensurfmorocco.com/the-location/

I've seen some mentions on here of spots near Essairou ... that a good bet?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Ideally hope to find a home base to start at and head out for adventures.

John

TBBUK
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Morocco tips

Postby TBBUK » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:20 am

A group of us comprising kiters/windsurfers have made the trip to Essaouira in June for the last couple of years, mainly because the wind statistics are so good at that time of year and its a pretty cheap trip all up. One thing it certainly isn't is mellow based on our experiences, the wind is generally howling! Main recommendation would be to get a local to take you to the best place to kite (or surf, on the one day in two years that wasn't windy) each day depending on the wind strength / direction. The other option is to go with a local centre in the bay at Essaouira - this is the more convenient option but it can be busy in the bay.

If surfing more of a priority, an early morning surf before the wind kicks in might be your best option, again consider getting a local to take you to the best breaks or get a hire car to head south from Essaouira (Sidi Kaouki or Cap Sim are recommended).

The town in Essaouira would definitely tick the local sights box for most people.

Lots of kiters make the trip regularly from Europe, I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions. Good luck.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:52 am

Thanks Tbbuk. As much as I'd be stoked on the endless wind, my wife would not be. Ha. Maybe Essaouira isn't the spot for us, or maybe we visit for a few days, on route to elsewhere. I get my kiting in, then carry on to the mellow surf spot. :-)

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:36 am

Essaouira is the only place we've been in Morocco. Stashed my kite gear at Explora in the bay who also gave my wife some surf lessons - really nice people. But not a place for a mellow beach holiday for sure! The shore break can be pretty big and the wind can nuke silly in the afternoons. I liked it, wife less so.

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Postby Barryg101 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 am

Just returning from a 4 month trip in Morocco and after reading what your looking for I’m not sure if it’s the spot for you . Dakhla is absolutely amazing spot and we had 90% windy days but the big lagoon is flat water and much more fun with a TT , there’s some nice things to do around Dakhla but it’s pretty much all about kiteboarding there, the wave spots around Dakhla are actually not as good as advertised and the wind can be very gusty from the newly constructed buildings close by. We spent a week in Essauira and didn’t get to kitesurf once it was after heavy rain and the water was filthy .

Tafraoute is a stunning inland destination and really beautiful to visit with friendly local people and nice food too at a cheap price , Sidi Ifni was the best spot we found for surfing and even had a few small bars where you could buy a few cold beers which was nice.

Hope this helps ,
Attachments
AB79DDD4-2DD5-46B3-A161-F073A5EB4487.jpeg

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:58 pm

Hey guys. I’m actually heading back to London to catch a flight to Morrocco where ima be stopping in a few places and one will be Essaouira and possibly Casablanca I’ve googled but any first hand experience or recommendations on a local shop where I could rent gear from and or general advice?

Tnx in advance.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:53 am

In Essaouira I've used Explora who have a small shop in the Medina (city) with the main storage, rental, and tuition centre on the beach just south of the city. Very nice friendly people, recommended. Only a 5 minute taxi ride from the city (taxis everywhere).

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:21 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:53 am
In Essaouira I've used Explora
Cool! Tnx @iriejohn gonna get in touch with them tomorrow am it’s freaking nukkn over here.

Return to “Kitesurfing”