Gear: a couple Cabrinha's
a couple Switch's
some slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Airush, Nobile, Trampa blah blah
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Any paragliding pilots around here?

Postby FrontRangeJeff » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:53 pm

I started pg in 2007 - flew a lot until 2012...when I switched entirely to kiting. I haven't pg'd since.

As many have stated, pg risks can be mitigated and most accidents are indeed pilot error...I simply decided for me kiting was more fun and although yes, kiting too has risks, they don't rise to pg level.

With anything though - one person's risk is another person's challenge so your mileage may vary :)

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 pm

FrontRangeJeff wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:53 pm
I started pg in 2007 - flew a lot until 2012...when I switched entirely to kiting. I haven't pg'd since.

As many have stated, pg risks can be mitigated and most accidents are indeed pilot error...I simply decided for me kiting was more fun and although yes, kiting too has risks, they don't rise to pg level.

With anything though - one person's risk is another person's challenge so your mileage may vary :)
That's interesting. Where do you kite in Colorado? It would seem to be more suitable for PG than kiting. Where I live is not suitable for PG, as it's flat, but I would like to be able to fly in other parts of the world & not always choose a "water destination" for traveling.

PG strikes me as requiring less athletic ability & skill than kiteboarding? Is that true? This is not including more aggressive flying, which presumably requires much more skill ... & a greater level of risk. On the other hand, I am assuming that PG is inherently fun because it's "flying". Does the appeal of simply being airborne eventually wear off?

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East
Has thanked: 0

Postby chemosavi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:50 pm

Hoping for a decent 3D VIrtual Reality version of this to play around with before taking any further steps.

FrontRangeJeff
Rare Poster
Style: unfolded lawn chair maybe?
Gear: a couple Cabrinha's
a couple Switch's
some slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Airush, Nobile, Trampa blah blah
Been thanked: 0

Postby FrontRangeJeff » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:23 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 pm
FrontRangeJeff wrote:

That's interesting. Where do you kite in Colorado? It would seem to be more suitable for PG than kiting. Where I live is not suitable for PG, as it's flat, but I would like to be able to fly in other parts of the world & not always choose a "water destination" for traveling.

PG strikes me as requiring less athletic ability & skill than kiteboarding? Is that true? This is not including more aggressive flying, which presumably requires much more skill ... & a greater level of risk. On the other hand, I am assuming that PG is inherently fun because it's "flying". Does the appeal of simply being airborne eventually wear off?
I used to PG in Boulder and Lookout Mtn (Golden) mostly. Colorado is certainly more suitable for PG but it didn't make it more enjoyable (for me). I had some amazing flights but also terrifying flights in Golden - with strong thermals and odd wind patterns due to multiple canyons.

I personally know of 4 people who died along the front range, some beginners to experts. PG can be totally zen-chill, it can be peaceful and the flying around - including sharing a thermal with a hawk was amazing - but for me it just didn't do it-for others it does. (my 2 cents) Aside from hiking up, pg had no benefit exercise-wise - which is also important for me.

Typically I'll KB in Wyoming if I need a fix around here - but I try to get a trip to Maui every year :) KB is just more my thing is all.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:02 am

^
There you go. You know 4, and I personally knew 4 as well. Plus many many more broken limbs.

Put this into perspective of kiting with a hundreds of incidents and none fatalities (well, I personally know one).
Does the appeal of simply being airborne eventually wear off?
Absolutely. You WILL try to push it, and than the consequences are much higher. Knowing the US medicare systems, my recovery would cost about $200-300k.
It did not cost me anything in the EU ;)

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:19 am

I took a tandem paragliding ride at the Torrey Pines Gliderport (near San Diego, CA, US) and it was fun and seemed pretty safe with the strong wind coming in off the ocean and hitting the cliffs and going straight up. It was a beautiful view along the coast.

It was a great way to experience PG.

Adolfo
Medium Poster

Postby Adolfo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 pm

PG strikes me as requiring less athletic ability & skill than kiteboarding? Is that true?
You don’t need any athletic ability to fly a ppg. You just sit there and enjoy de view.
But you need to be in decent shape to takeoff and land on some situations.
To takeoff on nil wind days, you have to run up to flying speed with a 60 pound backpack over uneven terrain while steering the wing.
And on landing, sometimes you land like a butterfly. But there are other days, that the wind misbehaves and you land faster than expected. On those situations you need strong legs to hold your weight + the motor hitting the ground at speed.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:19 pm

Turns out there is a Virtual Reality Experience for ballooning so a PPG version is probably already in the works.
Just the landing on your feet with 60lbs of crap on your back is enough to keep me away after years of windsurfing, kitesurfing, and running everyday for forty years. Bad for the ankles and knees.
The in-house equipment is starting to wear out and would like to avoid being in a wheelchair for the duration.

Digdawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Snowkite:
Lemon Reservoir, Durango
Rito Hondo, Creede
Favorite Beaches: Key West
Outer Banks
CorpUs Christi
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
- Aluula Flite 17m
- Flite 12m, 14.5m & 17m
- Crave 12m
- Mako 150 & 160
Ozone
- 14m
Epic
- Renegade 7m
Slingshot
- Crisis 140
Crazyfly
- LW 154
Ride Engine Harness

Postby Digdawg » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:31 am

FrontRangeJeff wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:23 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 pm
FrontRangeJeff wrote:

I used to PG in Boulder and Lookout Mtn (Golden) mostly. Colorado is certainly more suitable for PG but it didn't make it more enjoyable (for me). I had some amazing flights but also terrifying flights in Golden - with strong thermals and odd wind patterns due to multiple canyons.

I personally know of 4 people who died along the front range, some beginners to experts. PG can be totally zen-chill, it can be peaceful and the flying around - including sharing a thermal with a hawk was amazing - but for me it just didn't do it-for others it does. (my 2 cents) Aside from hiking up, pg had no benefit exercise-wise - which is also important for me.

Typically I'll KB in Wyoming if I need a fix around here - but I try to get a trip to Maui every year :) KB is just more my thing is all.
FrontRangeJeff, where do you kite in Wyoming? I'm down in the four corners area and have been trying to find something in or near Colorado.

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:53 pm

I finally did a powered paragliding course and after some months I have some flight hours. Still a total newbie.
First things first... I wouldn't consider paragliding as a sport.
The learning curve is VERY steep, much more than kiting. Once you can properly control the wing on the land (and take some theory hours) you are ready to take your first short solo flights.
Regarding safety, powered paragliding is much safer than free flight. There's no need for thermals or soaring winds, so the flights are usually performed during the first or late hours of the day. Even so, every pilot must always know their limits and how to act in rough situations.

Return to “Kitesurfing”