Cabrinha PU mainline depower tube

Forum for kitesurfers
gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Cabrinha PU mainline depower tube

Postby gator1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:29 am

Has anyone taken apart the black PU tube for the depower line on a Cabrinha bar?

Just wondering how much sand gets in there and if anyone flushes it out.

My lines failed so I used silicone to seal the mainline tube.

cleepa
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha PU mainline depower tube

Postby cleepa » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:39 pm

I'm now pretty averse to line covered by tubes. Last season, I had a bar fail because over time, sand got down through the tube on the back lines into the foam bar ends. Eventually, this wore through the line where it attached to the bar. And because you can't see what's going on in there, you have no idea how your bar is holding up. Because of how sealed up it was, it wasn't even possible to flush out.

So now I prefer to use a bar where all rope is exposed so that you can see how it is wearing. I customise my bars, a side effect of which is to make all the rope parts really easy to replace. I find that wear on the depower line is primarily dictated by how abrasive the hole in the bar is. But generally for me, wear is pretty slow. When sand gets on the lines, it is easy to rinse off if it doesn't just fall off of its own accord. I never have to worry about abrasion from sand accumulation anymore.

If you stick with the sheathed line, I would definitely recommend keeping sand out of it. Sealing with silicone might not be as reliable as you may think. Line and tubing will move differently, so the silicone may not remain properly bonded to either the line or the tube. This would allow sand in, but make it pretty hard for the sand to get out. Which is basically the situation that cause my bar to fail.

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:46 pm

Yes I did change out the main line in the tube . Not the easiest task but doable. Do not leave your bar in the sand with tube ends into the wind and wash the bar off and flush and dry ,make sure your safety can move freely in the tube. About all you can do unless you go tubeless.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:58 pm

I have two 2010 bars with the PU tube. I always rinse/soak my bars in a 5 gal. bucket of fresh water and flush the tube and bar ends with a hose end sprayer. No problems so far.

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer

Postby dragnfly » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 am

I dismantled mine as part of the line replacement programme. I don't do any maintenance, or washing, and treat my kit quite badly.... (sorry!).
There was no sign of any sand in it and the new line threaded through really easily.

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:41 pm

ELI wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:46 pm
Yes I did change out the main line in the tube . Not the easiest task but doable. Do not leave your bar in the sand with tube ends into the wind and wash the bar off and flush and dry ,make sure your safety can move freely in the tube. About all you can do unless you go tubeless.
So i have a fireball 2017 bar, and threw my release the other day to land my kite. The line stuck in the tube. I yanked on it super hard and it came undone. but it was definitely not easy to get it to move.

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard

Postby gator1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 am

dragnfly wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 am
I dismantled mine as part of the line replacement programme. I don't do any maintenance, or washing, and treat my kit quite badly.... (sorry!).
There was no sign of any sand in it and the new line threaded through really easily.
My two mainlines in the black PU tube looked really worn, so if its not sand, I'm guess just rubbing against each other in the tube. The lines are not thick or strong enough and just a timebomb waiting to happen.

Change every two seasons to be safe. Also Cab doesnt sell the mainlines by itself so have to buy the tube and top of spinner.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:14 am

gator1 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 am
dragnfly wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 am
My two mainlines in the black PU tube looked really worn, so if its not sand, I'm guess just rubbing against each other in the tube. The lines are not thick or strong enough and just a timebomb waiting to happen.

Change every two seasons to be safe. Also Cab doesnt sell the mainlines by itself so have to buy the tube and top of spinner.
Broke mine in February and so did a few other people. Seems the 2016/17 main lines weren't spliced into themselves and the shop guy reckons they're rubbing on each other and shredding themselves. The 2018 bars have the main line with almost a half of their length spliced...

I was leaning towards preferring PU tubes as the uncovered Amstel on my other bars really chews into my fingers...then that happened :lol:

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:00 am

PU tubes are perfect if the lines are a tight fit with sealed ends so there can't get sand inside or the lines rub themselves to pieces.

All the bad experiences come from brands like Cabrinha, where it is all too loose fitted inside the tube. If designed properly, the tube weares out before the inside line gets damaged.

Evan - Infexion bar/line repair

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:01 am

evan wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:00 am
PU tubes are perfect if the lines are a tight fit with sealed ends so there can't get sand inside or the lines rub themselves to pieces.

All the bad experiences come from brands like Cabrinha, where it is all too loose fitted inside the tube. If designed properly, the tube weares out before the inside line gets damaged.

Evan - Infexion bar/line repair
I've got 2011 Cab bars that are still fine. I've had only 1 bar that snapped a depower line -- at the triangle below the trim strap. It's the looped, thin depower line :(

Return to “Kitesurfing”