Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Re: Cabrinha PU mainline depower tube

Postby bragnouff » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:58 pm

evan wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:00 am
All the bad experiences come from brands like Cabrinha,
(...)
^^^
I truly believe in gear that you can maintain with basic supplies from a local shipshandler, and where inevitable wear can be seen and assessed on a regular basis.
Too bad some companies went the opposite path.

gator1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 4
Gear: TT, surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby gator1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:45 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:14 am
gator1 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 am
dragnfly wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 am
I dismantled mine as part of the line replacement programme. I don't do any maintenance, or washing, and treat my kit quite badly.... (sorry!).
There was no sign of any sand in it and the new line threaded through really easily.
My two mainlines in the black PU tube looked really worn, so if its not sand, I'm guess just rubbing against each other in the tube. The lines are not thick or strong enough and just a timebomb waiting to happen.

Change every two seasons to be safe. Also Cab doesnt sell the mainlines by itself so have to buy the tube and top of spinner.
Broke mine in February and so did a few other people. Seems the 2016/17 main lines weren't spliced into themselves and the shop guy reckons they're rubbing on each other and shredding themselves. The 2018 bars have the main line with almost a half of their length spliced...

I was leaning towards preferring PU tubes as the uncovered Amstel on my other bars really chews into my fingers...then that happened :lol:
Seems like the weakest point in the chain. Cabrinha should have used thicker rope, or just one thick rope, its because so much of interior of the PU tube is designated for the knot in the safety line to pass through that they could only use skinny mainline rope. My 2016 bar failed after 2.5 seasons, the lines looked worn where the bar usually sits sheeted in.

I've got a cab bar thats 10 years old, so I never thought twice about servicing the mainline rope. Its under the PU tube so one cant tell the condition it is in.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:16 am

gator1 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:45 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:14 am
gator1 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 am

My two mainlines in the black PU tube looked really worn, so if its not sand, I'm guess just rubbing against each other in the tube. The lines are not thick or strong enough and just a timebomb waiting to happen.

Change every two seasons to be safe. Also Cab doesnt sell the mainlines by itself so have to buy the tube and top of spinner.
Broke mine in February and so did a few other people. Seems the 2016/17 main lines weren't spliced into themselves and the shop guy reckons they're rubbing on each other and shredding themselves. The 2018 bars have the main line with almost a half of their length spliced...

I was leaning towards preferring PU tubes as the uncovered Amstel on my other bars really chews into my fingers...then that happened :lol:
Seems like the weakest point in the chain. Cabrinha should have used thicker rope, or just one thick rope, its because so much of interior of the PU tube is designated for the knot in the safety line to pass through that they could only use skinny mainline rope. My 2016 bar failed after 2.5 seasons, the lines looked worn where the bar usually sits sheeted in.

I've got a cab bar thats 10 years old, so I never thought twice about servicing the mainline rope. Its under the PU tube so one cant tell the condition it is in.
Can't use thicker rope... Has to be a "double" rope to loop around the BTB swivel. Pretty sure...

Return to “Kitesurfing”