Local Beach: Oahu
Style: Surfing
Gear: Switch and Firewire
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Switch Lineup

Postby kitesurfa808 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:08 am

First post here as I don’t usually hang out on these forums but I think it might be helpful to provide an "average joe" review on the Helium 3 as folks would be interested to hear from someone who has actually ridden the kite. I've got the 8 and 10m Helium 3, with about an hour on each so far. I’m a weekend warrior mostly, and not affiliated with Switch in any way and pay for all my own gear (always have). I'm 162 lbs and ride strapless surfboards in the waves. My main (only) interest is surfing with a kite so I can't comment on its jumping or foiling characteristics.

To cut to the chase, in my opinion the Helium 3 is the best wave kite I've ever used (and I've used some good ones). I came from Element 5's (9 and 11m) and before that Element 3's and both of those kites were game-changers for me, making surfing with a kite so much better and allowing me to push my limits. I really loved the E5's and now, I can honestly say that if you liked the way those worked in the waves, you will LOVE the Helium 3.

Comparing the Element 5 and Helium 3, the H3 turns much quicker and is more nimble, but still gives you good power through the turn. As far as drift, it is better than the E5, and because it is so much lighter and quicker, if the lines get slack, it just hangs there and doesn't want to drop at all. Then just a flick of the bar and its flying again down the line. Really the kite to me is just perfect for riding waves. It doesn't need to be perfect side or side-off wind either. Even on Oahu, we get our fair share of onshore, junky surf and a quick turning, nimble, good drifting kite just plain works for those conditions.

The bar feel is significantly lighter than the E5, and initially I needed to watch it more closely because it turns so fast, but after just a few minutes, it felt perfect. If you prefer more bar pressure, you can change the bridle settings. I'm flying on the factory settings so far (lightest BP), and thought I would change for more bar pressure but for me so far the light bar feel just makes the kite feel super, quick, nimble and just right. You almost forget you have a kite in your hands, and can really focus on the surfing, which is really the ultimate goal in my opinion!

Its no secret that the kite is built a lot lighter than the Elements so time will tell how it holds up to getting dropped in the surf, self-launch/land, etc. But if you liked the Element 5, you really owe it to yourself give the Helium a try. Its definitely another game-changer

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:31 pm

Aloha :bye:

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:57 pm

I'm still considering a LW wavekite, so maybe the H3 12m is an option, but I think I'll experiment losing the sidestruts of my old E3 13m first. Some other guys did it, and mentioned no real difference in stability. Will make the kite a lot lighter though. Because of the weight the minimum wind neccessary is not low enough to my likings, killing the range on a surfboard. Starting to feel overpowerd from 16 knots onwards. Can ride it to almost 30 on twintip, but that's completely different.

I affraid the H3 won't survive multiple drops in the surf... especially the LE.

felixp
Frequent Poster
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Switch, Firewire

Postby felixp » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:10 am

Hi Faxie.

"I affraid the H3 won't survive multiple drops in the surf... especially the LE."

L.E will survive fine. I have on purpose put the kite through the washing machine at a few different spots. Still flying.. No issues at all. Not saying it is indestructible but like any kite keep a close eye for any nicks in the canopy or any fractures to the dacron from sharp objects and you will be fine if maintained.

Rocking or Dragging the kite on hard surfaces self launching will shorten any kites life span. Of coarse a kite with bumper protection will slow some wear down. But then you start putting on weight.

I have a 12m H3 that has been tested by a 120 kg for the past 3 months. Still looks tasty .

Regards
Felix.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:16 pm

Element 6 is this now

Helium 3 is this

What Switch is now? I don't know but it's got to be the first. Good price for other company's designs. Problems: No continuity, no predictability.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:52 pm

Maybe. Have you flown both back to back?

But bear in mind that bridle changes to the same kite can make a world of difference (see Buzz kites with their standard and pro bridle offerings), even if the panel sizing and LE diameter were identical, you could still have a different feel and characteristics that is better suited.

I actually like the Element 6 design brief. The old elements used to feature landboarding across the beach to the water and then riding out into the waves to represent the all around style. The evolution of the kite was away from that all around style.

Sure it left a hole in the range for the pure surf kite (possibly now filled by the H3) but the Element wasn't originally a pure surf kite. Maybe switch should do a run of E5s and rebadge them with the Method name as their surf range?

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:52 pm

kitesurfa808 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:08 am
First post here as I don’t usually hang out on these forums but I think it might be helpful to provide an "average joe" review on the Helium 3 as folks would be interested to hear from someone who has actually ridden the kite. I've got the 8 and 10m Helium 3, with about an hour on each so far. I’m a weekend warrior mostly, and not affiliated with Switch in any way and pay for all my own gear (always have). I'm 162 lbs and ride strapless surfboards in the waves. My main (only) interest is surfing with a kite so I can't comment on its jumping or foiling characteristics.

To cut to the chase, in my opinion the Helium 3 is the best wave kite I've ever used (and I've used some good ones). I came from Element 5's (9 and 11m) and before that Element 3's and both of those kites were game-changers for me, making surfing with a kite so much better and allowing me to push my limits. I really loved the E5's and now, I can honestly say that if you liked the way those worked in the waves, you will LOVE the Helium 3.

Comparing the Element 5 and Helium 3, the H3 turns much quicker and is more nimble, but still gives you good power through the turn. As far as drift, it is better than the E5, and because it is so much lighter and quicker, if the lines get slack, it just hangs there and doesn't want to drop at all. Then just a flick of the bar and its flying again down the line. Really the kite to me is just perfect for riding waves. It doesn't need to be perfect side or side-off wind either. Even on Oahu, we get our fair share of onshore, junky surf and a quick turning, nimble, good drifting kite just plain works for those conditions.

The bar feel is significantly lighter than the E5, and initially I needed to watch it more closely because it turns so fast, but after just a few minutes, it felt perfect. If you prefer more bar pressure, you can change the bridle settings. I'm flying on the factory settings so far (lightest BP), and thought I would change for more bar pressure but for me so far the light bar feel just makes the kite feel super, quick, nimble and just right. You almost forget you have a kite in your hands, and can really focus on the surfing, which is really the ultimate goal in my opinion!

Its no secret that the kite is built a lot lighter than the Elements so time will tell how it holds up to getting dropped in the surf, self-launch/land, etc. But if you liked the Element 5, you really owe it to yourself give the Helium a try. Its definitely another game-changer

How does it handle when sheeted out or trim pulled in?

trickcoach
Medium Poster
Style: Unhooked
Gear: Switchkites Legacy

Postby trickcoach » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:52 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:16 pm

What Switch is now? I don't know but it's got to be the first. Good price for other company's designs. Problems: No continuity, no predictability.
man you obviously have some anger issues with switch that you need to deal with , have you considered therapy ?
I don't think I've ever seen so much negativity from someone who has actually never flown the kite he's badmouthing ...

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:15 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
I'm getting Déjà vu from when Best made the last "waroo" not a "waroo". It ticked lots of people off too. I agree Switch maybe should have changed the name.

But I am not convinced just the difference of wing tips in a pic is enough to bash them up so bad. Save that till you can say "they pulled another Best Waroo".

Still, I like delta kites and I am more interested in this new Element 6 (have not flown) than the 3,4,and 5's I have actually flown.

And number 2.......

Will there ever be a kite company with the guts to make a year model for as many years as it is the best design. STOP CHANGING WHAT YOU GOT RIGHT, unless it pleases me. Yup, I said it. All of us have a bit of inconsistency to our logic.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:28 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:15 pm
marlboroughman wrote:
I'm getting Déjà vu from when Best made the last "waroo" not a "waroo". It ticked lots of people off too. I agree Switch maybe should have changed the name.

But I am not convinced just the difference of wing tips in a pic is enough to bash them up so bad. Save that till you can say "they pulled another Best Waroo".

Still, I like delta kites and I am more interested in this new Element 6 (have not flown) than the 3,4,and 5's I have actually flown.

And number 2.......

Will there ever be a kite company with the guts to make a year model for as many years as it is the best design. STOP CHANGING WHAT YOU GOT RIGHT, unless it pleases me. Yup, I said it. All of us have a bit of inconsistency to our logic.
The E6 is mostly better with jumping and hangtime, a bit better depowered steering too. Other than that, the V4-V5 were better imo.

I noticed the exteme similarity with the Storm Voyager too, but didn't want to mention it. It probably behaves a tiny bit different because the construction is not exactly the same. But it looks like the shape and bridle are identical, same for the E6 and Peak. The Krypto that was teased looks a lot like the Ikon Blind, but different bridle if I'm not mistaken. I might bite, because I want an 8m for looping and jumping, but maybe I'll get an 8m Legacy2 instead. Not sure yet.

That being said, even if the kites are similar, you still get a good price (H3 cheaper than H2), excellent quality (I don't like the LE's though, but oh well, seems to work fine on most brands), available spare parts and very good customer support :thumb:

I'm in for a new board too, but not sure yet if I'll get the new Switch boards, or the Ozone Code (designed by ex-Switch) because it looks like a refined MJCompV2.

Return to “Kitesurfing”