Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: biggest regret purchase

Postby andylc » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:38 pm

That wins the prize for crappest purchase so far - not only rubbish but tried to kill you...

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Postby RedSky » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:14 pm

andylc wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:38 pm
That wins the prize for crappest purchase so far - not only rubbish but tried to kill you...
I wouldn't say its crap, far from it. I'm sure its awesome on a large lake but there is nothing like that near me. I only regret the purchase because it was a lot of money and now sits in my garden collecting moss.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:55 pm

Get it on eBay!!

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:58 pm

Carifino anyone?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 pm

RedSky wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:49 pm
Peter Lynn KiteCat. Had wanted one for years. Finally got the chance. Paid £2700 cash. It was okay, kinda fun but never used it on flat water. Waves slow it down and the hulls splash water in your eyes until they sting and googles steam up. The craft can tip up easily if you apply too much power too soon. Its sat in my garden exposed to the elements for more than 5 years. The seat is starting to turn green with moss but other than that its clean.

This one time I dared myself to head far out to sea. I got about 3/4 mile from the beach but then the wind dropped to nothing. It then dawns on me that if you have no forward speed then you can't turn the craft.
Kite falls out of the sky, craft turns side-on to the waves but the worst bit, I drift over the lines. Wind picks up, kite repeatedly tries to launch but lines are caught around the fins. Takes me an hour to drift to shore. The whole time praying the kite does not hot launch. Walk a mile back to the carpark, carrying 100kg KiteCat.

Another time I decide to try flat water in an off-shore wind. Was doing well but wind was very low, so I looped the kite. The power capsizes the craft and now I'm ejected and out of reach. Can't launch the kite as wind is almost non-existent but there is just enough to pull me directly offshore and out to sea. I try swimming to shore but I make no progress and quickly tire. Decide there is no other option but to release and swim back exhausted. Phone coast guard to let them know about the kite. Watch kite drift into shipping lane from car while eating snacks.
Sorry Redsky, I couldn't help but giggle then openly laugh at your plight as it unfolded in the story.
What you need is a foil. The foil is the kite buggy of the sea. Similar up wind angles. Good speed (not as fast as a buggy) and allows for adventuring around like what you can do on long beaches on the buggy.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:09 pm

kitecat1.jpg
kitecat1.jpg (37.92 KiB) Viewed 2836 times

Giggle? I sort of intuitively knew where this was going from the start... Laughed my ass of...

On topic... BRP: Owning a Kite buggy as a student and trying to get it to the beach by bus connection and a 2km walk was not such a practical succes. I would probably have enjoyed it better when I would have spend the money on women and beer....;-)

cosmo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby cosmo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:29 pm

the no wind option...inflatable sup...booooring!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:26 pm

SalmonSlayer wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:58 pm
Carifino anyone?
I dunno. I think Carafino started the foil revolution. It got me to try to get a SUP foil made 6 years ago (even contacted several fin designers to get one made). It made me understand that raceboard would lose if someone could figure out a design that could handle speed. I was assuming it had to do with A/R but I am not a foil / fin designer.

I had multiple and although delivery time was looong he delivered products and the one time I had a vibration he replaced it.

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:48 pm

One of the best kites I've ever owned is a Switch Combat v1 7m (still have it). I was so amazed with this kite that I decided to buy a Switch Nitro II 10m.

Sadly, the Nitro is on top of my worst purchases... only behind a 2005 Takoon Skoop. Sold it after one season.
- A total crap in low wind and pulled like a truck when the wind was a bit strong. Its real comfortable range was between 17 and 21 knots.
- Slow and susceptible to back stall when over sheeted.
- Decent jumps but difficult to get the correct timing.

Seawolf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wolfbeach
Gear: Elements 5

Postby Seawolf » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:38 am

Everything from Pro limit, harness, wetsuits, board bags. Not very sustainable!

Return to “Kitesurfing”