Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Is Wakestyle dead?

Postby Osprey1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:36 am

I’ve kited for 14 years and after a brief period of people trying boots and handlepasses that no one in my area rides wakestyle any longer. It seems that nearly everyone including younger riders have moved onto strapless surfing, strapless freestyle, air style or foiling. Has anyone else seen this trend in thier regions? Is wakestyle dead?
Last edited by Osprey1 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Is Wakestyle dead?

Postby edt » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:52 am

Wakestyle isn't dead, it's just difficult. Surfboards, foils and such are a nice break from working on your wakestyle moves. Don't worry people will go back to wakestyle.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:26 am

There are people for everything.

But, I assume less "I want to be pro" guys will train for wakestyke but Big Air now.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:48 am

The young fellas here are doing the wakestyle but they're also doing comps. The old guys who used to do it are now riding surfboards exclusively.

And weirdly, in NZ the local wakestyle/new school boys don't surf but do foil.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:15 am

edt has it right. It’s the most difficult branch of the sport. Most people don’t have the time to progress in it, and the vast majority even if they did would find that there is quickly a level beyond which they cannot progress, and where the risk of injury becomes increasingly high. Anyone who has tried gymnastics will probably have had a similar experience!
All of the other disciplines in the sport are accessible and fun, so naturally us average Joes choose to spend our time doing these - we do do it for fun after all...

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:24 am

That deserves an upvote.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:18 pm

andylc wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:15 am
edt has it right. It’s the most difficult branch of the sport. Most people don’t have the time to progress in it, and the vast majority even if they did would find that there is quickly a level beyond which they cannot progress, and where the risk of injury becomes increasingly high. Anyone who has tried gymnastics will probably have had a similar experience!
All of the other disciplines in the sport are accessible and fun, so naturally us average Joes choose to spend our time doing these - we do do it for fun after all...
Agreed. I started riding boots to progress with wakestyle, because I lost my board too many times when trying rotations, but I haven't really progressed that much since then. Too much pain...
Last edited by Faxie on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:06 pm

i have met a few younger riders getting into it and they are inspired and love it, but generally i would say not only wakestyle died, kiteboarding overall died down a lot too.( aussie)

had a session this week on my own... 20 knots+ , perfect swell.. no one else out.. been happening more and more.

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:17 pm

Wakestyle covers just a very narrow bit of what Kitesurfing really can be, and you need specific conditions for it.

I would not say it's the most difficult style in Kitebsurfing, but certainly the most demanding on your body.
Look at me, I'm over 40 now, would consider myself really fit, but my body can't take the punishment of unhooked progression anymore. At a certain age you heal just a bit slower. And that's the moment to move on.
And with strapless surfing, you can push yourself as much as you want on a technical level, it's just so much more flow and less hurt ;)

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:07 pm

mede wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:17 pm
And with strapless surfing, you can push yourself as much as you want on a technical level, it's just so much more flow and less hurt ;)
Yup, just hit 40 and I was averaging 1 "month recovery +" injury a year with straps on the surfboard. Gonna be hard to tone it down and go strapless again.

Hopefully I can talk myself into the surfboard rest home of strapless before I really hurt myself......but maybe I can keep driving for one more year.

Return to “Kitesurfing”