Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hammanosett beach
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fiberglass with PVC foam board

Postby BatmanIsABeast » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:22 am

I am in Milford Connecticut and looking to build a fiberglass twin tip kite board with a PVC foam core. I have a general idea of the process but would like to know if anybody is willing and able to help me build my own set of boards

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Re: Fiberglass with PVC foam board

Postby fluidity » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:58 am

BatmanIsABeast wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:22 am
I am in Milford Connecticut and looking to build a fiberglass twin tip kite board with a PVC foam core. I have a general idea of the process but would like to know if anybody is willing and able to help me build my own set of boards
There are some DIY instructions on line for plywood boards.
Also have a look at the board builder threads on here. I have one I'm currently working on, you could get the A0 sheet printed and use it for a template to position your ABS and composites, and to mark out some fins, handle and foot pad T-Nut inserts. It should work pretty well, it's my 4'th design and I've been stoked with how designs #2 and #3 turned out.

Or make your own shape, profiles! I use Openscad to design but it's a programmer's CAD tool, If you use some sort of CAD tool you can export DXF slices into inkscape (set to A0 sheet size) and then print 1:1, it will come out exactly as you design. This one I've designed: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2399306 should suit a rider of around 70 to 100kg and have good pop and upwind capability. Fine tuning of which T-nuts are used for the footstraps together with how flexible it's made will affect the handling considerably.

Be careful cutting your PVC foam core, I've heard that it releases noxious fumes when cut with a hot tool.

I also designed this one which I ride at the moment and love. It's designed as a freeride that can blitz through chop and also hold a very good edge. I've upped my top jump from 8.7m to 9.1m on it and the only thing I think is missing from it for jumping is that the tail narrows a bit much for that last bit of POP. Lets it ride softer and carve better though. For a board like that though, it has to be strip built over the formers to get the correct concave. Could be achieved with your foam PVC and electrical PVC cement but I use Paulownia wood. viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2398790

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fiberglass with PVC foam board

Postby rynhardt » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:19 pm

BatmanIsABeast wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:22 am
Building your own boards is a fun thing to do, if you like that sort of thing. But if you don't enjoy the build process then it's probably cheaper and easier to just buy used.

There are quite a few build threads on this forum. It may be worth your while to read through them first and then ask specific questions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”