Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Core Fusion 3 LW... does anyone ride it?

Forum for kitesurfers
Palti
Rare Poster
Local Beach: No Beach near to my hometown
Favorite Beaches: Soma Bay, Agios Nikolaos, Milos Beach
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR 4 in 12/15/19, Core Choice 2
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Core Fusion 3 LW... does anyone ride it?

Postby Palti » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Hello

now my vacation in greece is nearly over and i wanna tell you what i found outabout the Fusion 3 LW 152cm.
I compared it to a RL Board Door 160x50 double carbon version.
Yes they are diffrent sizes but thats not the ig deal i think. both are dedicated Lightwind Board.
I'm around 100kg and use a Core XR 4 19m as lightwind kite. We have at my "Homespot" directly to my camping area mostly lightwind conditions with very choppy water.
There is a water current which produces waves and the wind genereates also waves, but they are not alligned to each other. so you have very short
waves an bumps during riding also in light conditions.
So its not a perfect spot, but i like it.
With the RL Board Door i can start to ride at 9-10 kts and hold or gain a little hight. With the Fusion 3 i loose round about 1 kts, so i start later to ride.
At a flat water spot i think both boards would perform earlier. But the biggest issue on my beach are the chopps and short waves.
Here the Fusion 3 shows his abilyties, due to the big Rocker ( over 5 cm) its in comparison like riding with shock absorbers, its much smoother and keeps the rail longer
when the Door starts to jump out of the edge. But i wondered how fast it gained speed and how small is the performece loss to the Door when you think about the Rocker Line which is min double.
The other possitive effect i found out was its much looser and feels much smaller. after a while you dont feel you have a gib Lightwind board under your feet.
Jumps including Pop works fine, rotations are easier due to the light weigth and turns and transitions works realy fine.
In flat water conditions i was able to hold the edge with the 19m kite in gusts up to 17kts without bigger problems.
Resuming i would buy i allways again.
the Loss of a little Lowend is nothing compared to the fun factor, loose, small feeling you have and performance you get out of this board.
Im impressed and when it lasts some years its realy worth the money.

If you think about a LW Board which behaves much smaller test this board and find out if it fits to your style.

Jukka
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn, Core, Shinn, Airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Core Fusion 3 LW... does anyone ride it?

Postby Jukka » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:56 pm

I have had the 147x44 for a while now. It has proven to be stellar allround board for me weighing 92 kg.

The thing I like most is the overall ride feel of it. Edge hold is really good, it tracks nicely to where ever I point it and has a stable smooth ride. Reminds me of some sporty Mercedes. The other thing about edge hold is that it can be slid out in an even predictable manner - the opposite of hold, hold, hold, washout.
Given the size and only little over 4 cm rocker over that length, it naturally goes upwind really really well for a "regularish" TT.

Chop handling seems quite OK. Chop handling, when taking the size and other properties in consideration, is good.
But it's not your chop eating machine like Shinn-Monk type boards.
I have not yet had a session in ugly high-wind chop, so it remains to be seen if I "need" a specialty board just for that.

The board surely is not a killer ultra-light wind TT. At least for the 90 kg and heavier kiters. Very far from anything door related handling.
It is also not the playful wake-style board. Although riding it back to back with a stiff-ish low-rocker 137x42 board in high wind, the Fusion held its own surprisingly well regarding playfulness and carving in spite of its size.

I should also mention the Carved Ultra pads. For me there is no going back from the click-ratchet adjustment. I seem to do some adjustment during many of the sessions. For example when wind picks up a lot or I start to do more jumping, I might do one click on the closer-to-toe ratched to keep more of foot connected to board. Also very comfy pads.

Now, is the board and pads worth the money? In general, I don't think so.
But there is very limited options for large, low rocker, normal shaped TT. So, to me this board gives exactly what I wanted, thus I can ride it without grimace about the cost.
It would have been nice to test boards like Shinn King Gee or Axis Vanguard, I'm sure they would have been great options.

Return to “Kitesurfing”