Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

If you can get rid of any style of kiteboarding, what style would you possibly get rid of and why?

Forum for kitesurfers
HellYeah
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras SC.
Favorite Beaches: South Padri Island, Aruba, Maui, Cape Town Africa
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Cabrinha
Slingshot
Naish
Brand Affiliation: Starbucks
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: If you can get rid of any style of kiteboarding, what style would you possibly get rid of and why?

Postby HellYeah » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:56 pm

LOL no, this is for a college assignment. I am writing a report about kitesurfing and some of the challeges we face like bans, danger, and problems within our own community. Trying to give a real life demonstration of the situations we encounter.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: If you can get rid of any style of kiteboarding, what style would you possibly get rid of and why?

Postby edt » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 pm

for sure there are problems in the kite community and it mainly has to deal with self enforcement. So for instance, there might be a beach where the kiters are buzzing the beach goers and generally scaring the tourists. The local kite crew, instructors and those who have been there a while give a talk to the hot shots say "Cool it" but then they don't listen and just keep bombing the beach, tourists get scared call the police and pretty soon the entire beach is shut down. the main reason is that we are bad at self enforcement. Everyone goes "Not my problem. He's the idiot why do I have to tell him what to do" and enforcing rules on the beach is difficult. Who wants to be the bad guy? Nobody wants to be that guy that says "Shut it down. You can't have fun here." Lot of beaches get shut down because of this problem. Self enforcement of a local culture is tricky especially for kiters who generally feel that the sport is about freedom so if you want to enforce a culture suddenly you become "The Man" and don't get respect. It's a quite difficult problem.

I don't think any kiters care about styles, there's no friction there. But there is a huge amount of friction in the community where kiters hate being told by "Some Guy" what he can do and what he can't do. that shit happens all the time. I hear from kiters talking about how they bombed the beach area and got chased out by the sheriff and then laugh to me about it, like they were proud of it. What are you 12 years old?

I think that will make a good topic for the paper because it's basically an unsolvable problem.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:24 pm

Tow ups. Any discipline that uses a fixed point to yank on a kite and send people hundreds of feet in the air. Not how the equipment was designed, and an irresponsible use of public spaces that could result in sweeping bans.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:45 pm

HellYeah wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:56 pm
LOL no, this is for a college assignment. I am writing a report about kitesurfing and some of the challeges we face like bans, danger, and problems within our own community. Trying to give a real life demonstration of the situations we encounter.
Okay, HellYeah, you get the benefit of the doubt. But Hatteras is in NC, "Padri" is spelled "Padre", and Cape Town is in SOUTH Africa. Call me a stickler for details, if you want. You'll gain more credibility in life with more attention to detail. :thumb:

Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Postby Kykeon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:35 pm

All styles are fun.No need to eliminate any!

:evil: :roll: :D :) 8) 8) 8)
Last edited by Kykeon on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jackie Treehorn
Medium Poster

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Strapless freestyle. It just looks awkward - why use a surfboard when a wake skate will do the job better?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Wakestyle.

tkachuk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 75 kilos
Local Beach: Squamish, Nitinat (formerly: Cherry Beach, Allanwood, Presquil)
Favorite Beaches: Presquil (Ontario), Long Bay Turks, Silver Sands Barbados, OBX, Key Biscayne Florida
Style: boosting, carving my jibes, waves on TT
Gear: CORE, Shinn

Postby tkachuk » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:52 pm

showboating close to shore with crowded egress

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada
Been thanked: 0

Postby JustAGirl » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:35 pm

Foiling! Please get a catamaran instead... I have a ton of good friends who foil, but I don’t get it. That board is just so un-sexy. And all that swimming. What’s the point? Sorry!

As far as 12 year olds go, edt, that’s the wakestyle crew: creepy prepubescent stuff.

You asked!

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:03 am

edt wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 pm
for sure there are problems in the kite community and it mainly has to deal with self enforcement. So for instance, there might be a beach where the kiters are buzzing the beach goers and generally scaring the tourists. The local kite crew, instructors and those who have been there a while give a talk to the hot shots say "Cool it" but then they don't listen and just keep bombing the beach, tourists get scared call the police and pretty soon the entire beach is shut down. the main reason is that we are bad at self enforcement. Everyone goes "Not my problem. He's the idiot why do I have to tell him what to do" and enforcing rules on the beach is difficult. Who wants to be the bad guy? Nobody wants to be that guy that says "Shut it down. You can't have fun here." Lot of beaches get shut down because of this problem. Self enforcement of a local culture is tricky especially for kiters who generally feel that the sport is about freedom so if you want to enforce a culture suddenly you become "The Man" and don't get respect. It's a quite difficult problem.

I don't think any kiters care about styles, there's no friction there. But there is a huge amount of friction in the community where kiters hate being told by "Some Guy" what he can do and what he can't do. that shit happens all the time. I hear from kiters talking about how they bombed the beach area and got chased out by the sheriff and then laugh to me about it, like they were proud of it. What are you 12 years old?

I think that will make a good topic for the paper because it's basically an unsolvable problem.
I don't recognize this. Probably works a bit different in the Netherlands.
In general kitesurfers feel free to share info that can save their spots. Borders, local rules...
Yes many kitesurfers do not inform themselves very well, but I rarely get a big mouth when I kindly point someone out how we should behave to retain spots...

Cultural differences perhaps? You have more Dheads locally?

Return to “Kitesurfing”