Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: SW Ontario
Gear: LF/Gong/Slingshot Kites
Duotone TT/SB
Gong HF

Bridle Modification to LEI Kite

Postby GJibb » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:16 pm

Question: Can you modify the lengths of the bridle on the kites leading edge to change the position of the kite within the wind window? As in adding or subtracting to change position within window.
The example in my mind is how to Ozone Enduro has the three settings (I've never flown one, I'm just working on theory right now). Does each setting push the kite further back in the window allowing the better drifting and slack?

Basically I want to see if I can make a kite sit less deep in the window, at this point I'm even just looking for design theories. You know, a textbook of what does what and why but past the typical users common knowledge.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Re: Bridle Modification to LEI Kite

Postby GregK » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:23 am

Yes, by modifying the bridle with any combination of front bridle segment length changes or the location of bridle attachment points that shifts the tow point slightly aft and close to the centre of lift will make a kite park slightly deeper. The trade-off for this deeper position is reduced de-power.

Move the tow point completely aft of the centre of lift and the kite will always be at a significant positive angle-of-attack, the bridled SLE ability to massively de-power will be lost, and the kite will fly like an old 4-line C-kite in terms of de-power.

However IMO the most effective way to improve kite drift is to dramatically reduce its weight. Weight is often reduced by eliminating struts, which also has the added bonus of softening the luff profile. The drag from a collapse of the luff profile at near-zero angle of attack can contribute greatly to making the kite hang back and/or drift.

GJibb
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: SW Ontario
Gear: LF/Gong/Slingshot Kites
Duotone TT/SB
Gong HF

Postby GJibb » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:46 am

In my case I am assessing if it can move more forward in the window at the cost of drift.
With what you’re saying if the bridle was shorter at the front (as a whole) it would bring the tow point more forward. Almost as if it is widening the distance between the rear lines where a full C kite the connection points are close together.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:40 am

If the kite sits somewhat deep and still has a lot of front line pull with the bar sheeted way out ( back line slack ) then the front tow point is slightly aft of the centre of effort and it will fly closer to the edge of the window if the tow point is moved forward.

If it sits back but depowers well, then form drag is the culprit, and changing the bridle will have no effect on its edge position.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:21 am

The Griffin AX kite - now the 'Buzz' kite.. is a great example of what can be done with bridals to completely change the position and way a kite performs.
It's not just changing to the next knot. There is another bridal set up they called pro bridal - that you put on.

Very interesting what the designer achieved and I'd like to see it on more kites - now that I've flown the difference, it huge compared to the Normal knot move.

I suspect companies would rather sell 2 or 3 different kites $$$$ than show people what really can be done..

Return to “Kitesurfing”