Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epirb? flares? 2 way radio set to maritime channel, cell ph in a waterproof case?

Forum for kitesurfers
foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Epirb? flares? 2 way radio set to maritime channel, cell ph in a waterproof case?

Postby foilonfoil » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:39 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:05 am
foilonfoil - which marine radio models would you recommend?

I also saw another reason for marine radio over cell phone: "You can only call one person with a cell phone. With a marine radio, you can call everyone in range. Those who hear your signal can home in on your exact location—unlike with a cell phone."
Any waterproof 5W+ radio is a good start. As an example, west marine have the following unit https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... ecordNum=2 The best of the best hand held radios also have GPS and likely DSC which allows you to "flip a button" to send out an automated distress call which will get everyone's attention. My boats chart plotter would alarm and come up with a big alert showing location if anyone close by activated their radio's Emergency DSC.

Purchase a radio drybag for it and stuff it down your wetsuit. I am a huge fan of the Icom radios... M72's and M73's as the battery seems to last forever while this unit is off.

For everyone suggesting anything other than a marine radio... In the USA and pretty much every other western country, marine radio is the primary means of emergency communication on the water. Coast Guard and every other vessel around you is monitoring Channel 16 all the time... Its a legal requirement of boat ownership. A quick call on channel 16 will get a local boat, Harbor Patrol, or Life Guards depending on where you are. Local boats will relay your request for help if you cannot talk to the Coast Guard directly You can communicate directly with any boat nearby.

EPIRB's, PLB's, Spots are for imminent death and they work via Satellite relay and require registration (PLB's/EPIRBS) or subscription (Spot). You will get a delayed but massive emergency response (helicopters) and the guarantee of ditching all your gear.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Re: Epirb? flares? 2 way radio set to maritime channel, cell ph in a waterproof case?

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:48 am

Foilonfoil thanks, also have you looked at any multiband handhelds that could do marine and land communications, I think more of a HAM radio? This would also require a license test but would be useable on land.

On Spot, anyone considering should be sure to check their satellite coverage since it is not worldwide as with PLB’s, for example it doesn’t cover Maui. I verified this a few years ago on a phone call with the company and just checked their web site and it hasn’t changed. I think this has to do with the satellite messaging capabilities and the need to link them to specific satellite systems and the higher expense involved than a non-messaging PLB.

On Inreach, Garmin bought Delorme a year or two ago, and they have been improving the design so they keep getting better but are pretty pricey, and then there are the monthly service charges.

We had a guy up in Boulder, Colorado, a skier that got a PLB as a gift. He thought it was an avalanche beacon and he would test it before he would go out, which drove the emergency people nuts because they would be alerted each time and it took a long time to find him and tell him to stop it.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:45 am

This seems a good simple and robust solution for individual to local boating and ships. http://uk.nautiluslifeline.com/Marine-R ... _p_18.html

In Europe it will send AIS, but problem where I kite, and I looked at AIS marine traffic in my area...theres big ships, but they won't leave shipping channels.
And do small boats have AIS?

What a jungle....

The Captain
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby The Captain » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Personal strobe light. Small and light if you go out in the evenings.
You can get personal waterproof flares too. size of a marker.
The rescue beacons keep getting smaller. I am sure this watch is reasonably priced!
https://www.breitling.com/us-en/emergency/
But I get the hesitation in using it. And search and rescue isn't immediate in most areas. Local responders are who you need to call.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:08 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:45 am
This seems a good simple and robust solution for individual to local boating and ships. http://uk.nautiluslifeline.com/Marine-R ... _p_18.html

In Europe it will send AIS, but problem where I kite, and I looked at AIS marine traffic in my area...theres big ships, but they won't leave shipping channels.
And do small boats have AIS?

What a jungle....
There are two Classes of AIS - Class A and B. All ships greater than 300 Tons are required to have and operate AIS Class A. Optionally AIS Class B is available to recreational boaters... An AIS transceiver or receiver is designed for traffic areas collision avoidance. AIS transceivers or receivers use power! Struggling to come up with where AIS would be beneficial for kiting.

Nautilus is Junk! On the original Nautilus, attempting to use the buttons on the water is a real pain. USB port is protected by a small unattached rubber plug easily misplaced. Gasket can fail. Mine flooded with kiteboarding use. This unit you linked is using standard marine radio DSC (selective calling emergency) and response could be overwhelming. For less money you can get a standard heldheld marine radio with the ability to talk to someone as well as DSC Emergency calling if needed.

Again, sometimes you just need to get back to the beach and not a helicopter and the need to abandon your gear.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:57 pm

I researched further and the original nautilus is discontinued due to regulations that made it illegal.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:13 am

Garmin came out with a smaller inReach Mini $350 plus satellite subscription fee for text messaging and interactive SOS function:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/gener ... om-garmin/

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu May 10, 2018 3:36 pm

foilonfoil wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:39 pm

EPIRB's, PLB's, Spots are for imminent death and they work via Satellite relay and require registration (PLB's/EPIRBS) or subscription (Spot). You will get a delayed but massive emergency response (helicopters) and the guarantee of ditching all your gear.
good point f on f.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu May 10, 2018 4:53 pm

an impact/floatation vest and a whistle at lest

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:42 pm

Inreach Mini uses a subscription satellite system (with 2 way messaging), on Iridium. Inreach requires a cell phone like contract to have any functions including SOS.

Also called the parent company of Ocean Signal (PLB1), Artex and asked about their new version that looks like PLB1 and it is bigger and the battery is to be replaced at 5 years, vs. 7 for PLB1.
Last edited by Dave_5280 on Sun May 13, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”