Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epirb? flares? 2 way radio set to maritime channel, cell ph in a waterproof case?

Forum for kitesurfers
plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Epirb? flares? 2 way radio set to maritime channel, cell ph in a waterproof case?

Postby plummet » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:31 pm

Whats your guys thoughts on a spot meter?
https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=120

I guess you are right raging grandpa. There is emergency recovery. IE you will die in a short amount of time. There is zero chance of getting back to shore. And non urgent recovery where the you are not injured and you will eventually drift back to shore. For non urgent you dont want to pull an epirb. but it would be nice to notify someone to come and help. Perhaps the spot meter can notify a nominated person who can come and look for you, maybe action another kiter at the beach to come drag you in?

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Re: Epirb? flares? 2 way radio set to maritime channel, cell ph in a waterproof case?

Postby Bletti » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:09 pm

I use to use a spot tracker years ago on my motorcycle (and later a Delorme tracker sailing that does two way satellite text messages) but I think a semi waterproof phone inside a waterproof pouch is far more useful to coordinate with people that might be able to react (at least in most kitesurfing spots). Spot would be too hard to know whether anyone is reacting and I'd rather just carry my plb to be fully cover along with a phone.

Flares are a good option to get the attention of anyone that happens to see.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:18 pm

Side note. I also mountain bike and kite buggy in remote lccations. So my solution has to be work on land in the mountains and with in places that cell ph does not work

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:56 pm

I bought a PLB. Then it fell off my harness and was lost.
I think I was hasty buying it. It's such a big deal to use it, I don't want to use it...

VHF radio is a better idea. But requires a licence in Sweden. You can get the licence, but you have to go on a course first.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:09 pm

Foil wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:30 am
Anyone who has been on this forum or the old flexifoil kite forum for many years(I used to be "kiteing colin" until I could not log in anymore) know that I have used pains wessex personal mini flares, a pack of 9 magnesium red mini rocket flares that give off an ear splitting bang and a bright red rocket flare which flies up to around 100 ft,

I'm looking at the wessex flares, the Pains Wessex Para Red MK8A Rocket is $40 and the handheld mini flares MK8 are $11 so that's about $150 worth of flares? Not bad compared to the radio and cellie options. I know if I took my cell out with me it would be at the bottom of the sea in two sessions.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:16 pm

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:26 pm

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Wide range of peoples personal perception of safety.

Darwinism in effect.

If you insist on kite-boarding in offshore wind then you should have boat support.

Do not kite-board alone.

Carry a VHF handheld radio.

Wear a PFD and Helmet.

My opinion of foil kites is that the manufacturers could beef up the bridles and lines, at my local sailing venue they seem to be breaking too frequently.

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Postby RagingGrandpa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:00 pm

plummet wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:18 pm
I also mountain bike and kite buggy in remote locations. So my solution has to be work on land in the mountains and with in places that cell ph does not work
I have an older model of this InReach device- it really does work, great battery life (>24h), truly waterproof. This type of device is a PLB w/ GPS + satellite SMS text messenger, with both receive and transmit capability.

What I think it's good for:

+ Having the coast guard, ski patrol, or other emergency responder reach your disabled body within 2 hours or so in mainland areas (longer in remote areas), with worldwide coverage independent of cellular service.
If you're downhill skiing and fall into a tree-well and cannot get out, this will get you found on the same day. (But if you're caught under an avalanche while skiing, you'll asphyxiate long before emergency services will arrive.)
If you're kiting offshore and get injured, activating the SOS using its dedicated button is easy (emergency use only, regarded the same as dialing 9-1-1).
If you're powerboating many miles offshore and your engine dies (and it's unsafe for you to be out there overnight ie: jet ski), this is also good option (and, the main reason why I have it).

+ If you've discussed your plans with a friend ahead of time, this is a good way to ping them to request a pickup, and sends them your exact location. (Thinking: shoreline bailouts for long kitesurfing downwinders.)

Downsides:

- Difficult and slow to enter new text messages from the builtin keypad- the only easy way to write a text is by using your smartphone, through its inreach bluetooth interface app. A good solution if you've got no cell service, a working smartphone, and this inreach device. But I don't think it is practical to do this while swimming.

- I haven't found a reliable way to strap it to my PFD yet. I've tried using the flotation case while kitesurfing, but its velcro sometimes pops open when I crash into the water. (The lanyard tether left it dangling but still attached to me, thankfully)

- $14 monthly fee (annoying)

I think it's the wrong type of communication to request non-emergency boat pickup though- it would be like calling for a tow truck in an unfamiliar area using SMS only... voice communication would be much better.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:19 pm

pretty much every capable boat and skipper have vhf and most monitor it, so do all emergency services.
You do have to learn a little bit to use it most effectively.
Key is that somebody who is nearby will hear it, as well as listening shore stations with high antenna masts.
Would be my first choice.

Return to “Kitesurfing”