Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kitesurfing Inside World Sailing is Illegal

Postby Toby » Sat May 05, 2018 2:51 pm

there is good and bad with IKA.

Luckily not my problem. And for 99% of the kiters neither.

Let the 1% figure it out :bye:

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat May 05, 2018 3:12 pm

It is pretty significant that the worldwide authority of sailing that worked with ioc and sports accord in 2008 said that a kite powered craft cannot be recognised as sailing regardless of their change in stance. It shows the history leading up to this point.. it will be a very important piece of evidence in court regardless that shows there was no relationship between sailing and kiting before 2008 in respect of sailing thinking kiting was a discipline of sailing. There were 2 world championship kiting tours running prior to this also before ika/ world sailings involvement.

Time doesnt change one sport into another, it was kiting not sailing pre 2008 and still is. Respect your sports history.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat May 05, 2018 3:31 pm

it has already had a big effect, no freestyle tours left, a small waveriding tour that is sanctioned by sailing via gka ( absolutely rediculous), kite companies put in limbo by uncertainty of the future ( many joined gka because they didnt trust ika with their businesses), plus potential for national kiting regulations controlled by sailing and not kiting, then if you like to compete in events that have been running for say almost 20 years ( merimbula comp for example in aussie, or even red rull) and it is on ikas/world sailings banned list.. you cannot compete in nationals/ worlds, also if you critisize ( disrepute) the organisation you can also be banned fron competing. an example would be competitors making a public statement that they think it is not safe for world sailing to be running an event, they don't have the safety knowledge. and then what are kiteboarders going to say to a sailing club, hey there.. you know nothing about my sport of kiting but i am joining because soneone decided kiting is a sailing discipline and i intend to conduct freestyle and wave events out of your club.. it is just rediculous!

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Sat May 05, 2018 4:04 pm

How’s the view from up there?

In your world you want to be governed by people that have done NOTHING for kitesurfing apart from sow discontent and lies.

They feel they should have control of every type of kite sport, ice snow water land etc

And then they also want to tell people that NO you are not allowed to take part in the Olympics because they say so?

Really what right do the IFKO havevyo tell people that they cannot compete In the Olympics? Because that’s exactly what they are doing.

The anti kite sailing media have grabbed it and are running down kites in a spectacular way.

Racing is a tiny part, wave and freestyle are tiny parts,

None of them have more tight than the other, you want to go to the Olympics then fine go, you want a wave comp? Go get on with it.

Why do kitesurfers always find a way of fucking each other over at every turn?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat May 05, 2018 4:22 pm

what about invent it... bruno leganeaux does that count?

what about franz olry... did he do anything for kiteboarding? does he count?

one does have more right than the other when it comes to potential olympic kiteboarding anyway.. the one that GAISF decides is legitimate... that is their job they do for IOC.

i know the history of foil racing well because mango carafino( first ever production kite specific foil ) told me.

he spent time in france helping build foiling and it turned to racing, the french started producing their own foils and having their own racing... long before world sailing/ iko. this was over 10 years ago, when i first kitefoiled. this is pre san francisco yacht club.

Know and respect your sports history, slingshot were a big part of it too ( i saw you are a slingshot brand manager).

slingshot fuel 2001. are you aware that over 50% of severe injuries and deaths from kiteboarding are from being slingshot/ thrown by a wing onto land... and that is the stats for kitesurfing/ kiteboarding on water.. sailing much? nope its kiting .. its a wing .. we are pilots with great responsibilty.

james
Very Frequent Poster

Postby james » Sat May 05, 2018 5:23 pm

OMFG people were racing before bloody foils, before course race boards,

Bruno and frank, yep they did lots, but they did it all well before the IFKO was dreamt up.

How is mango by the way? Still threatening people and stealing their money?

Please let’s not turn this into a I have been kiting longer than you, it’s a pathetic way of getting your point across.

I haven’t worked for sling for over 5 years, aside from one pump they ain’t exactly set the world alight in terms of progressing the sport..

But back on topic, you are totally fine with telling people you can’t go to the Olympics because I (ifko) say so?

Why is that any better than people being told you can’t attend x y or z non sanctioned event?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat May 05, 2018 6:45 pm

This is the worst thing an organization can do ... Tell the athletes to be banned if joined a different event.

Whoever does this is not a representative of a sport, just interested in one thing ...

james
Very Frequent Poster

Postby james » Sat May 05, 2018 7:35 pm

And that is the issue

Ifko does t actually say what they are interested in apart from ensuring that kitesurfing cannot go to the Olympics.

What are thier actual goals? Why should kitesurfers join thier organisation? There is nothing, just the repeated kitesurfing is illegal in sailing?

Grammatically that doesnt even make sense let alone logically

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat May 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Why wouldn't they want Kitesurfing to be part of Olympia?

Also doesn't make sense.

What's wrong with all these people?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat May 05, 2018 10:52 pm

listen to the podcast for their goals, go back and read brunos own reasoning on this forum... by kiters for kiters

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/wwwsti ... e/51586955

it is that ban threat that basically destroyed competitive freestyle. ika also destroyed other race events by putting them as banned events.. all because of a small chance of kiteboarding in the olympics, which it still isnt.

you have to be cautious with any kind of organisations as greed can fast becomes a motivational factor

i agree it is a big mess right now, but more than olympics, more than ifko, i consider by kiting for kiting more important.

kiting is far from the only sport going through this when potential olympic $$ greed shows its head, the banning issue has actually been to court once in the eu and been declared illegal.but that is not the end of it unfortunately. ika/ world sailing decided themselves it was a good idea to apply banned events.......

no one is going to the olympics kiting wise right now - that isnt even a current choice, the best world sailing have is a suggestion of a gender mixed kiting triathlon involving convertable board racing and wave riding.... what planet are they on? i say what is wrong with these people. they have absolutely no idea. the olympic dream carrot from ika was formula directional racing.. a discipline that no longer exists.

have you been involved in or competed in events?

Return to “Kitesurfing”