Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kitesurfing Inside World Sailing is Illegal

Postby Toby » Sat May 05, 2018 11:50 pm

I competed. Luckily not anymore.

And planning to do my own events, far away from any Organisation. No world champion needed, they all can have that.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun May 06, 2018 12:10 am

was question for james

imagine you do your events, make it successful, world sailing/ ika takes your ideas/ development/ growth from your hard work... then bans your competitors from competing at your event... they can. they simply need to put it in a list of banned events.. it doesnt need to say world championships

this already happened.

i think the future of freestyle should more variation and a flow element / overall impression.. one that takes into account back to back tricks and transitions. back to footstraps tour... cheaper ( no $500 bindings) and allows more trick freedom. wakestylers should continue their path as they want but i reckon they should look at more action in the same way as i suggested too.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun May 06, 2018 12:21 am

there you go, a world sailing statement just released... world sailing are the governing body of airstyle too...

""World Sailing is recognised by the IOC Associations of Summer Olympic International Federations and Global Association of International Sports Federations as the world governing body of the sport of sailing in all its forms, including all forms of kiteboarding on the water, and seeks to protect the rights of all kiteboarding stakeholders,"

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... g-position

if you get in the way of their stakeholders expect trouble regardless of if you use the term world championships. get in the way basically means if you are successful and they can leverage off your success.

they are the governing body of wave riding with a kite
hydrofoil freestyle, airstyle, downwind racing, kite wakeskating, kiting on water skis... it is just rediculous.

pop down to your local sailing club and ask them to organise an airstyle/ wave riding event, they have the stakeholders to defend. ... what a joke.

i sympathise with the kite racers too, led down a path by snakeoil salesman, and now some want to battle their fellow kiters simply because their olympic dream is fading. Priorities.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun May 06, 2018 12:51 am

All you need is more prize money than their tours...and the riders will be there no matter any bans.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun May 06, 2018 1:29 am

yes that is absolutely true, consider though that ioc is the richest non governmental organisation of its kind in the world, a private organisation based in switzerland ( 6 billion dollars+), world sailing wants a piece of it, olympics will give them that $ and then your event is even more at risk. world sailing has made an financial investment in competitive kiteboarding.. they will fight hard to get a financial return any way they can.. they need that ioc money.

kiting stakeholders, not sailors, working with ioc will benefit kiting so much more.

world sailings motivation is now to keeping the funding flowing to try and grow sailing again ( no doubt most are passionate about sailing, trouble is the carrot effect has on some ) , so they see another sports attractiveness as a way to keep tje funding essential to regrow their sport ... as they have threats of being taken out of the olympic games completely( all sailing)

look at the history... a kiteboarder could not hold a world speed record for sailing as they are being powered by a kite.. their own words at the time.

send an email to ika / world sailing letting them know about your events asking for assurance they will not interfere/ take your intellectual property on behalf of their stakeholders in the future.. no chance

i went to one of the first sailing kiting meetings, it was basically an intellectual property theft exercise is the guise of an olympic carrot. they didnt even know if a kite would relauch from water, if you could be injured, or understand why you cannot ride in gusty winds... its a kite! with lines.. its flying.. it falls out if the sky into the water when there us no wind.. because it is a kite/ flying wing not a sail lol you cannot make this stuff up!

People can make up their own minds but at least we can let fellow kiters know what is going on and how it may effect them. prior to this thread i expect very few knew a lot if this information, if any. This information will benefit kiters . Ask questions now, don't wait to see what happens.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Sun May 06, 2018 11:57 am

The first one, and not so obvious, might be an International license for kiting. Meaning, we will need to register no matter what if do not want to deal with the Water police when overseas.
Second, what's needed for sailors will be enforced on us, ie safety.

It might not bite us everywhere on this Planet, but it is a revenue machine so just wait.
Think of the small manufacturers who can't afford to pay huge fees, they will never be able to compete on Global scale. Etc etc

This will also push the prices up, not down, for already very expensive hobby.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun May 06, 2018 8:19 pm

Ok, I can't stand it anymore. I hate to get political, and yes - I did say I would not do that before, but this has got to be said.

Is there anywhere that people are free to organize, or participate in individual activities without governmental or quasi-governmental permission? It is like leisure and leisure-competitive activities are now only allowed by will of some authority.

This issue is not a problem with the IOC or any other organization. It is a problem with all organizations, and most importantly, the courts that are their attack dogs. Sure, you may prefer X-organization over Y-organization, but that still tends to work out the same in the end and there is virtually no question that you will be disapointed by the result. And if you listen to the Sailing Anarchy podcast, the tendency for EVERY organization to eventually "be lead by money" is explicitly stated by the head of an organization saying that he will be benevolent in his cause. And history is rife with examples of this very thing going very badly before the end - in and outside of the political sphere.

What advancement was made through the expansion western values is being washed away by the new "correct think", "correct behavior", and "correct speech", as enforced by the courts and the influence/money funneled to them via corporate interests. Kiteboarding, and every leisure or outdoor pursuit should be regulated only when the utmost and most desperate need for safety and the environment can be DEMONSTRATED.

Not only does this make me specifically not want to support WS anymore, but I really do not want to support any "organization". But with the way things are going, someday you may need a permit just to take a walk in a public park with your significant other.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon May 07, 2018 12:51 am

i reckon it is best without anyone making legal claims based on upholding authority for their stakeholders.

ie no " worldwide authority" of kiteboarding

trouble is, it is going to happen, we cannot stop it, so choose kiter stakeholders or sailor stakeholders?

so the choice is world sailing ( in charge of iko/gka) or IFKO ( not controlled by sailing)

world sailing has taken a big gamble investing in another sport and it sounds like it may bite them in the ass big time, imo they should concentrate on things like affordable optimists, parent built. I took a laser out not too long ago ( first time for decades!).. was super chilled out and fun. Concentrate on promoting your own sport, and for the right reasons.

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bri7 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:38 pm

To qualify for the Olympics one must first of all complete Form 1 A, Subsection 1.1 to 2.65X, Item B23 - 34, Parts 1-64. also, enclose 32 forms of identity including a sample of armpit sweat. All of this must be done standing on one leg, in a room no more than 1M Square, with a luminous green pen. At no time shall daylight enter the room or a light be used. If upon entering the room you do not have a small giraffe the participant shall be disqualified.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed May 23, 2018 7:07 am

The court of arbitration for sport have been trying to mediate to sort out the mess between the International Canoe Federation and the International Surfing Federation.

The ICF says SUP is Canoing despite not having been involved with SUP previously until mention of poddible olympic funding ( ISA has been running races and world championships for years.)

The court failed to come to a conclusion of who was in charge.

Next stage is legal action by both sides.

Thought this was interesting because it has similarities to kiting vs sailing, athough neither canoes, sups or sailing vessels can actually fly!

What next.. the World Surfing League claim that canoing is surfing..

The world has gone bonkers SUP is SUP, canoing is canoing, sailing is sailing and Kiteboarding is Kiteboarding. The corruptive effects of $$ huh!

Return to “Kitesurfing”