Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing Inside World Sailing is Illegal

Forum for kitesurfers
foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kitesurfing Inside World Sailing is Illegal

Postby foilonfoil » Tue May 01, 2018 3:27 am

Last edited by foilonfoil on Thu May 24, 2018 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue May 01, 2018 3:32 am

Blah, blah, blah...For sailing vs kiting I simply state that kiting works the opposite as sailing as your sail goes above you and lifts you and occasionally pulls you sideways as in sailing.

I fixed it for you. You’re welcome.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Tue May 01, 2018 3:35 am

Last edited by foilonfoil on Thu May 24, 2018 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue May 01, 2018 3:40 am

Still has more lift than a sail even if it is just through the turns which it is not.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue May 01, 2018 4:56 am

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:09 pm
downunder wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:36 am
Matteo V wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:09 am

Flying is solely reliant on engine, gravitational speed, or thermals to move and position the aircraft.

OMG, as a Paraglider pilot for years, flying paragliders is NOT "solely reliant on engine, gravitational speed, or thermals to move and position the aircraft."
I am having trouble putting my previous explanation in a simple way, but for you, I will give it another go. And to head this one off at the pass, gravity is a constant, not a media, in both explanations.

And updraft is what? People call that a wind. When we fart, sometimes it's called a wind ;) Do you call air we breath a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen?

downunder wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:36 am
How do we define a para skiing? Is it a pilot or a skier? Is Ragnarok sailing or skiing/paragliding/boarding/? Is a foil kite a paraglider when launched from a hill? Would you need a piloting/sailing license?

Another key concept, which I did not mention before, is that a kiteboarder loses the capability to move in a preferred direction after the water's surface is disengaged in a jump.

Sorry for being so long winded, but you started this dumpster fire. I am just throwing my used motor oil on it, along with some empty paint cans, and a propane tank that I 'think' is empty.

And as always, thanks for your post.

Not really me started "dumpster fire". I'm not the only one responding to your posts and not even going way back to 300 AD :) You do. Think of this for a sec...We're doing the kiteboarding here, not the theoretical science. Unfortunately, the decision makers (God save us), are mostly pen pushers. Or the keyboard warriors.

You'll get my respect when you show me your jumps, or your awesome hf skills. Can we change the direction when jumping? It's called a transition. Simple really.

I wonder if you are kiting for real or just pulling our legs?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 01, 2018 9:02 am

i just dont see how world sailing / ika can win the court case. Kitesurfing/ kiteboarding is clearly a different sport to sailing despite different definitions of sailing.

i would describd myself as skating when i skateboard, but they are still different sports.

you know that the surfing association claimed kitesurfing as surfing too in nz?!.. just as potential grant money came on offer from potential olympics.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 pm

What the hell is this thread about? Are a bunch of airstyle and surfboard riders complaining that the IKA wants a production class kitefoil class to race in the olympics?

How about stop hating on hydrofoil racing, organize a viable competitive circuit of whatever nonsense discipline you want to support, then when you've got something as good as Formula Kite or the Hydrofoil Pro Tour, then we'll talk about what Olympic federation you belong to.

Until then, let the sailors/racers that want to compete on a hydrofoil do their thing. Is it somehow an insult to the rest of kiting if hydrofoil course racing becomes the first kite discipline to get a medal under the sailing federation? What's so bad about that? I don't see how that stops the massive throngs of competitive kite landboarders or the enormous snow kiting leagues spread all over the globe from having their own crack at it....

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue May 01, 2018 2:33 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:32 am
Blah, blah, blah...For sailing vs kiting I simply state that kiting works the opposite as sailing as your sail goes above you and lifts you and occasionally pulls you sideways as in sailing.

I fixed it for you. You’re welcome.
I also occasionally breathe air.

Making what is at best an intentionally misleading statement is of no help. Let me fix it for you, "For sailing vs kiting I simply state that kiting works the the same as sailing as your sail goes above you and lifts you occasionally but but mostly pulls you sideways as in sailing.

Maybe I am not grasping the motivation of others in this forum to deny reality. I mean this is straight up obvious to kite users that you spend the majority of your time tacking (engaging the water).

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue May 01, 2018 3:00 pm

downunder wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:56 am
And updraft is what? People call that a wind. When we fart, sometimes it's called a wind ;) Do you call air we breath a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen?
Just had to quote you on this one. I really do not know where to go with it other than the explanations I have already given. So try to look at differences I examined in my previous posts between flying and kiting with regards to the number of medias that are interacted with. And specifically, can you fly if the ground wind speed goes to zero if you are already up in the air when flying? Can you still kite when the difference between the water and air speed goes to zero? Are you willing to give me an answer to those two questions?

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:09 pm
Another key concept, which I did not mention before, is that a kiteboarder loses the capability to move in a preferred direction after the water's surface is disengaged in a jump.
downunder wrote:
Can we change the direction when jumping? It's called a transition. Simple really.
Yes, I jump and loop my transitions all the time. It is not a way in which I get to the other side of the lake or back into the break. I sail there by engaging the water. That is the only way in which you can significantly change your location on the water or "move around".

downunder wrote:
You'll get my respect when you show me your jumps, or your awesome hf skills......
I'll have to regretfully decline your offer to "prove my skills to you". I do have some respect for you as you give your time on this forum and put your thoughts out there for others to scrutinize. But I believe your combative nature may be somewhat a liability to my local kitesurfing locations. My local spots have seen 2 separate combative kiters almost ruin our access. Still, should you get a chance to kiteboard in the central US or the West coast, look me up and I will help you out as much as I can.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 pm

This thread is simply about did the ika/world sailing illegally declare kiting... sailing after kiting had been its own sport for many years. We had kite racing long before these $ grabbers were involved too. Always happens when potential olympic $ is up for grabs!

I support by kiteboarders for kiteboarders and see it that kiteboarding/ kitesurfing was stolen. for non racing disciplines of kiteboarding things have really gone downhill since world sailings involvement.. it is way harder to make a financial sucess of an event if you are not allowed to call it a world championship because world sailing lawyers with plenty of $$ will sue you. Even for racing.. the numbers youth, 3rd world country and female participants involved is still incredibly low.. and this was a mission statement of world sailing. take for example the youth olympics.. in all of asia and oceania 4 girls turned up to try and qualify... what an absolute joke.

The actual inventor of kiteboarding/ kitesurfing agrees with me too.. so there is a great key witness right there!

You cannot rewrite history.. let's see what happens!

Return to “Kitesurfing”