Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Re: Got my hands on the Quark!

Postby john a » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:01 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:59 pm
Whatever you do, don't use the Line Mount from Noir Matter. I just got my replacement one. Went out and the connection to the Quark snapped. All 3 tabs. It happened when I re-engaged the kite after slacking the lines.

The leash got cut somehow, I assume be the sharp broken tabs.

Screenshot_20181118-155801_Gallery.jpg

Gutted :-(

--
Gunnar
Happend to mine to, but only lying in the small room of mye kitebag. Lots of soft material around it. Thought it was strange it broke, but clearly hopeless plastic mix.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:24 pm

john a wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:01 pm
gmb13 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:59 pm
Whatever you do, don't use the Line Mount from Noir Matter. I just got my replacement one. Went out and the connection to the Quark snapped. All 3 tabs. It happened when I re-engaged the kite after slacking the lines.

The leash got cut somehow, I assume be the sharp broken tabs.

Screenshot_20181118-155801_Gallery.jpg

Gutted :-(

--
Gunnar
Happend to mine to, but only lying in the small room of mye kitebag. Lots of soft material around it. Thought it was strange it broke, but clearly hopeless plastic mix.
Hmmm, sounds bad...
I have now just tied the small black rope directly around the linemount base, will hold better and should work dandy if the tab breaks...

Apart from the camera easily putting itself in a strange angle if you selflaunch it seems to work just great :thumb:

This weekend first a bit of flat water foil, just above the freezing point and snow, so soon it will be winter and over with barefeet and "good" surf - but anyways, no big deal and two days with less exciting conditions, 8 and 9 m2 kites and wind very onshore in the smaller waves so nothing to show really, but how the Quark works is AMAZING, even with the flutteríng frontlines it seems very stable :naughty:

I just HAD to test it no matter conditions were not something to remember, but able to try it on a hydrofoil with slack lines and a waveboard with more power, fine.

Have to keep it out of the water it seems :rollgrin:

8) PF

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:16 pm

As my Quark is gone and Noir Matter will not replace it, I tried my Go Pro Fusion 360 in my U-Go Line mount. Works pretty well. Takes a bit more work in Post to get the result, but better than buying a new Quark and dealing with bad customer service from Noir Matter. Also the Fusion is 100% Waterproof.

Click on the video below to start it playing.

https://www.facebook.com/kitechino/vide ... 100484121/

--
Gunnar

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:17 pm

I have put the safety strap like this, so IF the mount should break at the quark base tabs, nothing will be lost - and it looks better also, very clean and nothing flapping :-)

Quark2.jpg

Will also try the Quark with my UGo linemount (and safety strap around the base in the same way), as the UGo is smaller slimmer.

The digitai gyro stabilisation is simply amazing just hope it will survive when it eventually gets in the drink :naughty:

8) PF

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:12 am

After a lot of badgering, Noir Matter have agreed to practically replace (huge discount) my Quark. I think they are finally starting to take their customers a bit more seriously. Let's see how long it takes to get here.

--
Gunnar

kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own

Postby kite_hh » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:52 am

gmb13 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:12 am
After a lot of badgering, Noir Matter have agreed to practically replace (huge discount) my Quark. I think they are finally starting to take their customers a bit more seriously. Let's see how long it takes to get here.
If they didn't change the product I will still find it dubious to advertise a product for kitesurfing that cannot withstand water properly.

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby ptraykovski » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:17 am

The u.go mount works well for Noir. I think it is much stronger and one side slides so no fiddling to get the lines equal.

For 360 cameras I have used a rylo recently and works well. It has a very good app for editing and requires no key frames for rotation control. It just does it. It is also good for filming others on the back lens. You can just tap on the other kiter in the editing app and it will track them for a while till they get too far away...very cool feature.

Main drabacks of the rylo are no remote start/stop, not as crisp image quality as GoPro/Quark especially in low light, and the protective case is waterproof but scratches easily
https://youtu.be/i3Gzw6IG3v4
This is the gopro7 / Quark for comparison
https://youtu.be/m0f344Llpfk

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:47 am

Any tip on any other line mount that could work with the gimbal?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 am

The Noir Matter linemount also have one side that slides, just like the UGo, so works really well and it seems sturdier than the UGo so I will use this for a while definetely, before trying Quark on the UGo - there is no risk using this mount as I see it.
But maybe the UGo will hold up to more bashing as it is smaller and softer and will just bend maybe? Dont know...

Safety release will also work on both of these just mount it on the right frontline of course :naughty:

Editing, trying to correct for rotations are till now useless IMO, havent seen it work except when using hours and hours on this, manually, to try to even out the errors.

If you got a horizon, it can be done quite well by software yes, but when only dark water surface and a rider that turns and rotate him/herself in moves and tricks, it doesnt work at all whatsoever, so I think it is a path with no future unfortunately, except for a few times if you got a horizon, and you want to spend time on manual extra correction too.

You lose a lot of quality also, as you have to crop hugely down, maybe you even have to use a non-linear extra wide angle mode which is simply horrible, the horizon and everything gets round and fisheye instead of looking good and natural.

Shitty if the Quark isnt as watertight as it should be, but the only downside I can see.
By far the best option yet it seems, but maybe with this problem.

How is the other linemount gimbal doing, Revl Arc, or havent it been put into public sale yet?

8) PF

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby ptraykovski » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 am
The Noir Matter linemount also have one side that slides, just like the UGo, so works really well and it seems sturdier than the UGo so I will use this for a while definetely, before trying Quark on the UGo - there is no risk using this mount as I see it.
But maybe the UGo will hold up to more bashing as it is smaller and softer and will just bend maybe? Dont know...

Safety release will also work on both of these just mount it on the right frontline of course :naughty:

Editing, trying to correct for rotations are till now useless IMO, havent seen it work except when using hours and hours on this, manually, to try to even out the errors.

If you got a horizon, it can be done quite well by software yes, but when only dark water surface and a rider that turns and rotate him/herself in moves and tricks, it doesnt work at all whatsoever, so I think it is a path with no future unfortunately, except for a few times if you got a horizon, and you want to spend time on manual extra correction too.

You lose a lot of quality also, as you have to crop hugely down, maybe you even have to use a non-linear extra wide angle mode which is simply horrible, the horizon and everything gets round and fisheye instead of looking good and natural.

Shitty if the Quark isnt as watertight as it should be, but the only downside I can see.
By far the best option yet it seems, but maybe with this problem.

How is the other linemount gimbal doing, Revl Arc, or havent it been put into public sale yet?

8) PF
Hmm I must of threaded my strings wrong as my front line wouldn't slide on the noir mount. will try again.

On the cropping issue, for 360 cameras this is always an issue. The fun part is they film everything so very cool that you can focus on a target in any direction, but there is always a crop and fisheye optics. Sometime it is more fun to have a nice clip of someone else on a wave rather than the same boring footage of myself. It you get the other ride just downwind of you keeping his kite lowish and keep your kite high it can work well. The rylo just boosted the resolution to 5.8k to help with the crop, but still isn't nearly as crisp as a gopro7. The rylo gets leveling almost perfect with no editing for the user. from what Gunner said this is not the case with the gopro fusion 360 camera.

The is also a new sports 360 camera from insta360 that would be interesting to try.

The revl has been out for almost a year now. of the the three that I tried (noir, rylo, revl) the revl is the worst as does a poor job of keeping the horizon level, off by 45 to 60 degrees quite often. It is not too bad for twin tip riding if you keep the kite level most of the time, but for waves when the kite is moving lots it doesn't really work. They have promised a firmware upgrade to fix this for 6 months but no sign of it.

Here is revl footage for comparison to the rylo and quark/gp7 I posted earlier

Return to “Kitesurfing”