Favorite Beaches: Le Morne
Style: Freestyle Wave
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mauritius - intermediate waves?

Postby Fritz&Ivan » Tue May 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Would not disagree with above. However, there are a lot of horror stories around this place from the good old days. Meanwhile there are several boats picking you up when you have a problem. Just check the flag on the point and dont go out if its red. That means the boats cannot go out of the channel. At least it will be expensive. And of course, Manawa and one eye can be pretty big waves... so its not the wave to start with. But the nice thing on the island is that there are smaller waves just a few hundred meter away for those ones who start with waves.
Here is an overview of the waves:
https://www.surfcampmauritius.com/surfing/

KVL
Medium Poster

Postby KVL » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:29 am

Strekke wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:59 pm
Although Manawa on a small day could work as an intermediate wave, it is very far from shore, and "too popular" imo. I was there last year and the wave can be nice, but the distance to the shore and especially the ridiculous amount of people who try to catch it without any respect for other riders / not knowing the right of way/priority rules, kinda ruined the experience for me. It's like a frickin' traffic jam where everyone is fighting for the wave, super annoying. There is a smaller break closer to shore where it gets less crowded, and some sets come through on bigger days. But even then there it gets crowded.
I am here now, and fully agree.

The Manawa is such a great wave, but what a disaster to be out other there on a normal day. The initial post is 4-5 years old, and now you can just add the foils. What a traffic jam. If you are lucky you can get two turns on a wave where after you have to instant stop up because of too many crossing upwind in the wave get back. Too lazy to surf down and cross back on the outside.
Very short rides on the wave due to people's selfishness.
It's like throwing meat to the lion - a pure fight.

As mentioned, if wind dies its a long way in....
I was on the way with 6m2 when the wind suddenly died, completely turned off. That would have been a disaster out there.

Nice, "easy" and mellow wave, but surely not a safe sandbox to learn and f*** up, due to the distance, direction, and amount of people out there.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:42 am

Had my best wave experience there back in 2013.. One Eye & Manawa.. not too crowdy back then but after reading this topic I will not return there too ruin my sweet memories

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:59 am

But there are some more spots with waves. Check the spot section, I basically covered all spots on the island.

Return to “Kitesurfing”