Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which bar for petite person / shorter arms

Forum for kitesurfers
Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Which bar for petite person / shorter arms

Postby Skywalker7 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:06 am

Flysurfer Infinity 3.0 bar has one of the shortest chickenloop and the bar throw can be set to whatever size. Usually smaller people have smaller weights, so they can use smaller kites, so the shorter bar throw can work for them on smaller kites. The barstick is also one of thinnest bar in diameter.

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Wed May 02, 2018 9:04 am

grigorib wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:13 am
Anyone with personal experience?
I have short arms myself being 160 cm tall. I have done some research looking specifically for bars that would help and found that airush and naish has bars models specifically designed for small persons. However I'm using a core sensor pro, the clamcleat height is adjustable, but you need to ajust the line lengths after move the cleat. Also moving the cleat will reduce the depower capability, and the person need to be more carefull when trimming (reducing the power) the kite, as the “fat grey line” that is part of the trim/ safety system can go trought the metal rings and possibly get stuck in the advent of QR activation. I am not sure if this is a general weakness of the sensor bar design or it is specific from my bar.
I have tried the slingshot with below the bar trim system, i found a bit tricky, but with few sessions i would get used I suppose.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Wed May 02, 2018 7:26 pm

grigorib wrote:
My wife is 5'2" and uses F!reball with a Recoil control system. She can reach the trim and this system doesn't have any loose lines or tails whipping around. She rides in a waist harness. As stated above, a seat harness will make it even easier to utilize the full range of a control system if you have short arms.

One thing of note, using a rope slider while on toeside really INCREASES the distance the bar must be pushed to depower or to reach the trim. Just an FYI.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed May 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Get rid of the chicken loop then I’ll bet most bars will work. Both north and SS have this option

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed May 02, 2018 11:14 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:26 pm
grigorib wrote:
My wife is 5'2" and uses F!reball with a Recoil control system. She can reach the trim and this system doesn't have any loose lines or tails whipping around. She rides in a waist harness. As stated above, a seat harness will make it even easier to utilize the full range of a control system if you have short arms.

One thing of note, using a rope slider while on toeside really INCREASES the distance the bar must be pushed to depower or to reach the trim. Just an FYI.
We rode along launching/staying at Kirk’s 4'th week of January didn’t we? Swiss socks and Apollo, right?
Last edited by grigorib on Wed May 02, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RosItalia
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Toscana (Italia)
Gear: Peterlynn Swell 12 9 7
Bws aenema 5,5
Gong strutless 17m
Been thanked: 0

Postby RosItalia » Wed May 02, 2018 11:19 pm

If your bar have a clamcleat you can decide where put it. You can move along depower line and choose lenght you prefer. I prefer clamcleat near than 10 cm of bar's stroke.

Makogirl
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lac st-pierre, Quebec
Favorite Beaches: chapin ,ma,
Style: waves
Gear: firewire and Ozone Reo

Postby Makogirl » Sat May 05, 2018 9:23 pm

very good question but no one really answered it.... we have the bar and we don t want to change it, we don t want to wear sit harness. any real solution ???

how about a stopper ball ? I can t reach the bar if I let go, I haved send a message to Cabrinha,, I don t beleive there is no kid or womens on the circuit that haven t found a solution.... just bought 4 drifters and trim lite bar and this problem got to be solve... riding waves and loosing your bar makes a catastrophie..
thanks for your help..

Makogirl
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lac st-pierre, Quebec
Favorite Beaches: chapin ,ma,
Style: waves
Gear: firewire and Ozone Reo

Postby Makogirl » Sat May 05, 2018 9:25 pm

RosItalia wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:19 pm
If your bar have a clamcleat you can decide where put it. You can move along depower line and choose lenght you prefer. I prefer clamcleat near than 10 cm of bar's stroke.
Hi,,, can we buy clam cleat ? if yes where ?

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sun May 06, 2018 2:26 am

A plain stopper ball will do fine - Remember, if you shorten the throw your windrange will be less also and have to be extra careful in stronger winds..

Look up the "Bye Bye chickenloop" thread also - for your best Options..

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun May 06, 2018 2:29 am

Makogirl wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:23 pm
very good question but no one really answered it.... we have the bar and we don t want to change it, we don t want to wear sit harness. any real solution ???

how about a stopper ball ? I can t reach the bar if I let go, I haved send a message to Cabrinha,, I don t beleive there is no kid or womens on the circuit that haven t found a solution.... just bought 4 drifters and trim lite bar and this problem got to be solve... riding waves and loosing your bar makes a catastrophie..
thanks for your help..
My conclusions from hearing all the advice are following:
1. You can use a bar with ajustable position of clam cleat above-the-bar (also serving as a stopper) (e.g. Slingshot Sentinel)
2. You can use a bar with a stopper ball and below-the-bar depower
3. You can use Cabrinha bar with Recoil or North Click or Ocean Rodeo Stick Shift bar
4. You can use seat harness
5. You can use shorter chickenloop (e.g. Slingshot Talon, North, etc) to shorten overall assembly

Many of those I don't like and wouldn't suggest but #1,#2,#5 and #4 for kids specifically sound pretty reasonable.

Return to “Kitesurfing”