Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slider construction - surface material?

Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slider construction - surface material?

Postby Matteo V » Sun May 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Any recommendations for a lightweight coating over anodized aluminum that any one has actual experience with using on sliders? I have pounded a piece of PVC (electrical conduit, schedule 40) over aluminum extrusions before, but that added lots of weight to a 20ft rail. I am trying to keep this one light for transport.

I am currently experimenting with Graphite impregnated friction reducing paint, but I am not sold on it yet. I am also thinking about trying "Rust-Oleum Peel Coat" paint and waxing the surface with Collinite (really good and thick buildup wax). Still, fins would be in constant contact and I would be worried about scratching into the underlying aluminum and having a sharp protrusion gouging the next board or cutting a line that contacts the rail.

US availability required, but I would like to hear what has been used internationally also.

hajvar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, NY
Gilgo Beach
Robert Moses
Democrat Point
Tobay
Gear: 2016 Naish Park HD 7m-9m-12m
Switchkites Legacy 2 12m
Tona Flow 140 x 43.3
Ronix Park Boots

Re: Slider construction - surface material?

Postby hajvar » Mon May 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Rule number 1:
No fins on sliders... you will damage the slider, your fins and maybe your board.

Best thing I ever found for sliders is white HDPE sheets.
http://www.eplastics.com/HDPE-sheet

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon May 07, 2018 6:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. Seems like very little is known on this subject. HDPE, or even UHMW(PE) would be preferred, but PVC is just so cheap.

And the thing I love about grey electrical PVC is that it will come off onto your board. This might seem like a PITA, but I would rather have it on my board than some of my board on it. Planning on trying the 303 protectant as a friction reducer (works great on the sewing table too).

Still, I would love to find a paint as that is way easier than getting PVC on to the structure.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TheJoe » Tue May 08, 2018 1:09 am

No real need for anything over it if you have a good grind base board. One of the cable parks I ride has a 4inch carbon pipe flat rail that works fine. All so VWC has a few straight metal rails. The 2" square tube hand rail in to the pool gap is one of the sickest rails out there.

If you really want to coat it though look for a coating like Gator Glide or anything similar to it for mud boats. The stuff is really slick and pretty durable but expensive.

Return to “Kitesurfing”