knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How hard?

Postby knotwindy » Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 pm

I think that says more about the gauge accuracy than the actual pressure. It is damn near impossible to hand pump above 10psi unless you are 230lbs and are willing to really work at it. Is it possible yes, is it likely no. Luckily it is also quite unnecessary. 8-9 is perfect for most kites.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:11 pm
I checked the gauge on my yellow Naish pump, one of the newer taller variety, yesterday when pumping my 9m Naish Pivot, and the top of the red zone is indicated as 12 PSI, and that's where I pump it to, and it is as hard as I can get it. Passes both the ping and wingtip fold tests with flying colors.
Are you not concerned about the stitching? Ozone was getting some negative publicity on the forums a while back when some kites were being pumped to normal (for kiting but higher than the recommended 6psi) pressures and over a short period of time the stitching between the panels of the Leading edge was pulling apart. That would probably be my primary concern if I was to pump to a very high pressure. I think it happens because of the twisting that takes place on the leading edge when you steer the kite (could well be wrong).

That said, if you live in a cold climate and are dropping the kite in the sea regularly (e.g. because of practicing new tricks) its probably about spot on.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:02 pm

No concerns about stitching, and this is a 2015 v1 Pivot that I ride a lot. The only kite I ever had blow up on me was my first kite, a well used and abused North Rhino 12m. Pumped it up at Langebaan back in 2005, put it down on the sand, turned around, and a Big Bang left the leading edge fully opened up. Nothing that Paul at Second Wind Sails could not fix though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”