Re: Offshore Wind

Postby plummet » Fri May 11, 2018 7:49 pm

6742523.jpg
1146983_10152165603689832_960119416_o.jpg

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Foil » Fri May 11, 2018 9:38 pm

Cross off today, very gusty, 10-35 knots, 6 MTR kite,
5 ft waves, or some would call swell,
3 jet ski rescue guys on hand, as this is an off shore,mega windy holiday location.
Had a blast,
so strange,as gybing back out was so easy, smooth ,and felt so good..
Rescue was not used, so my 50 euro rescue cover is still intact for another 364 days, or 3 pick ups, whichever comes first!

But sailing back to shore in the gusty winds was easy,
Why?
I was using my Foil Board.

Welcome to the future.😎

kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.

Postby kitegirls » Sun May 13, 2018 8:32 am

Foil wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:38 pm
3 jet ski rescue guys on hand, as this is an off shore,mega windy holiday location.
Had a blast,
Rescue was not used, so my 50 euro rescue cover is still intact for another 364 days, or 3 pick ups, whichever comes first!

Why?

Welcome to the future.😎
I don't know about "the future". My spot's been overrun with foilers which seem to be always in the way for a few years now. Foiling's definitely fun but super limited. Foiling'a good for just cruising, light wind or super chopped out water but that's about it. There's nothing like a good hard top and bottom turn with a big 'ol spray catching the sunlight just right or a nice floater on a surfboard or even a twin tip for that matter. Nothin like launching 50 feet into the air off a 15 foot wave and landing it clean and riding off smoothly either. Foil-shmoil. ;-)

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JustAGirl » Sun May 13, 2018 10:54 pm

kitegirls wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:32 am
Foil wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:38 pm
Had a blast,

Why?

Welcome to the future.😎
I don't know about "the future". My spot's been overrun with foilers which seem to be always in the way for a few years now. Foiling's definitely fun but super limited. Foiling'a good for just cruising, light wind or super chopped out water but that's about it. There's nothing like a good hard top and bottom turn with a big 'ol spray catching the sunlight just right or a nice floater on a surfboard or even a twin tip for that matter. Nothin like launching 50 feet into the air off a 15 foot wave and landing it clean and riding off smoothly either. Foil-shmoil. ;-)
I really like you! We gotta meet somewhere... you sound experienced enough to tackle the conditions you describe... Don’t know abt you but I trust my kite upwind way better than I trust it downwind, where you need to loop it to keep it powered, plus you got the wave powering you. Offshore sounds like a blast.💥 Oh, and as Plummet says, be ready to ditch your gear & swim if need be. Have fun & tell us about it...

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Mon May 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Punta San Carlos has the perfect offshore wind. You need to be confident when riding there.

You would think for $3,000 a week, they would have a rescue boat there but they do not.

Saami
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Saami » Tue May 22, 2018 3:25 pm

As Plummet wrote, it's all about wind direction. You asked:
kitegirls wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:18 am
Is it hard to catch waves with dead offshore wind?
...and the answer is that yes, it's almost impossible to catch waves if the wind is dead offshore (meaning straight offshore). You would have to edge like crazy to have any hope of staying on the face of the wave and you probably won't succeed. Basically, there is no kite in the world that "drifts" well straight upwind / into the wind, which is the direction where you would like to go to speed down the face of the wave to make a bottom turn. So, with dead offshore wind like that, what you will have to do is to dig in your edge and basically drag your kite upwind with you, so to speak. Forget about trying to make any turns on the wave in those conditions - the best you can hope for is to not get dragged over the shoulder of the wave by your kite. It's not what anyone would call fun waveriding.

Similarly, dead onshore wind also makes for less-than-ideal waveriding conditions. With that wind direction, you will be riding towards your kite every time to catch a wave. Unless the wind is strong or you have a kite that drifts really well, your lines will tend to go slack and your kite will threaten to hindenburg. Sometimes your only hope of keeping the kite in the air will be to loop the kite in order to try to keep some tension in the lines.

Cross-offshore wind is a whole other ballgame! Slightly cross-off wind can make for awesome wave-riding where you can choose to basically park your kite in the air and more or less forget about it while you ride the wave. Under ideal conditions the kite will just hang there without pulling on you, and the slight cross-off direction of the wind is enough to ensure that the lines won't go completely slack - so no risk of the kite hindenburging. If you like the feel of prone surfing, meaning riding the wave as in regular surfing with no pull from the kite, this is often the best wind direction. If you do want power from the kite, it is available at a moment's notice so this wind direction basically allows whatever style of wave-riding that you prefer. Once you are done riding the wave, the cross-off wind means that it will be very easy to get back to your starting point and catch another wave - often one single straight tack is enough to get back. This means that less time is wasted tacking just to get back into position. Instead you can spend your time catching wave after wave after wave.

A good 7m kite in smooth cross-off wind and long, peeling, glassy-faced, high-period waves... The thought is enough to make me drool :lol: :cool2:

Return to “Kitesurfing”