downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Woo 1.0 vs 2.0 vs 3.0

Postby downunder » Wed May 23, 2018 2:33 pm

deniska wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:43 pm
Do you have a better solution? if so, please let us hear it!
please no idiot proposals like GPS, atmospheric pressure measurement, lasers on sharks, etc..
Oh.. you don't.. Okey then!
I don't. Do you?

But, we can have an objective conversation and remove subjective thoughts, don't you think?

Or u saying we need to stfu coz no better device exist? Just wondering, no hard feelings...

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Wed May 23, 2018 3:11 pm

davedej wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:45 pm
A few comments;
The data from Evan (start post) is coming from jumps on a hydrofoil (seen the video from Leo of WOO this may be problematic).
Time stamps after the full hour is missing seconds data, which means tricky to link jumps.
Personally I think Evan's findings are not really different from ours.
As for who is how riding or if the placing of the WOO is critical for every millimeter (which I don't think so) is interesting for understanding why things deviate, but ideally this should be irrelevant (if WOO's are in the middle of the board as advised etc, we even made sure all buttons where facing one side). Jumps missed due to soft landing for example are understandable, but that is not the discussion here.
Our test has limited (17 jumps over 5m) data for the 2.0-3.0 versions, as every test has its limitations. Sadly we do have results we simply didn't expect after we tested them in 2015 (1.0 vs 1.0) with excellent results at the second test (first test had different software version, but still had a good correlation).
Dave
We Test Kites
Your test leads to incorrect conclusions as your data sample is too small. Just like Evan's. So even though you make it look very scientific, you're misleading people reading this or who are interested in the Woo and come here for more info. That's a shame.

See my comment above about how you could improve your test to come to valid conclusions.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Wed May 23, 2018 4:20 pm

downunder,
No, I don't think that there is a better solution (as combination of convenience, cost and precision).
A bunch of companies looked at it and they all took the accelerometer path.
There are obviously problems with calibration between different HW versions and about 5-10% fluctuations in reading within the same HW/FW group.
So you are pissed at woo 1.0 for showing lower jumps - fine... but are you still buying iPhones after that drop call fiasco a few years back? I mean a $600 toy that could not make calls reliably? This is the stuff that you get in to when you invest in to bleeding-edge tech.. It's a hit or miss.
Many people seem to be pissed about 5-10% fluctuations in readings.. well sure, bring a team of 10 people with expensive photo-surveying equipment and you "may" get better results. There is still bulk of it left to a chance though: did you boost of tip of 2 meter wave or caught a lucky gust or updraft to beat your more experienced friend on one lucky jump? The only way out of it is to have more high jumps than your opponents to make statistical deviations work in your favor.
This works fine with woo sessions too..

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Wed May 23, 2018 4:42 pm

Well, just out of curiosity it would be fun to make a woo test. My homespot seems fine to do such a test. Its summer now, if we get a windy day I might ask my friends and make a photo based survey. We have two woo3s and a piq.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Wed May 23, 2018 6:27 pm

They Will never do a test...😁😁the true its not good for business

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu May 24, 2018 7:18 am

evan wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:15 am
Had the opportunity to test all three Woo versions on my foilboard yesterday, wind peaked at 18-21kn and was on my 15m Aero. Enough 10m+ jumps to make a comparison, but judge yourself:
Could you share the original excel sheet with me?

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 am

kiterocky wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:27 pm
But users and customers can ;)

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Thu May 24, 2018 10:32 am

wrogu wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 am
kiterocky wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:27 pm
But users and customers can ;)

the self-centered boys want to continue believing in the heights of woo ... and deserve to be judged by an incorrect tool that is worth 5 euros in the factory 😁😁😁

davedej
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zandvoort, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Table view Capetown
Canos de meca Spain
Style: freestyle
Gear: North Dice 2016 5/7/9/11 m
Ride clash 140 2.1
Brand Affiliation: We Test Kites

Postby davedej » Thu May 24, 2018 11:53 am

joriws wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:18 am
evan wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:15 am
Had the opportunity to test all three Woo versions on my foilboard yesterday, wind peaked at 18-21kn and was on my 15m Aero. Enough 10m+ jumps to make a comparison, but judge yourself:
Could you share the original excel sheet with me?
I did a search to Evan his sessions, download and edit on his data (which is a few hours of work). I put it on dropbox.
Mind you:
- it is on a hydrofoil board
- Firmware is a partly different from our test.
To be short;
- Evan's data looks much better (something which is quite a surprise considering what Leo mentions in the FB video of WOO about hydrofoil boards) as ours, R-squared wise.
- Woo 2.0=3.0, WOO 3.0 = 1.0+30%

We are quite a fan of the WOO device and we deliberately stated a " ?" on our title as we hope our deviations are explainable and fixed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljjpyv5prvwq1 ... .xlsx?dl=0

Dave
We Test Kites

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu May 24, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks Dave, saves me some work!

I don't think the woo 2.0/3.0 are that much off, mostly exactly what I was thinking that I should have jumped where the 1.0 felt always way off.

As of hydrofoil jumps, isn't the woo measuring them correctly and it is obvious that you can jump way higher on a hydrofoil in moderate winds than even the best tt-riders can ever achieve? Instead of complaining at woo, what keeps you from joining the boosting foil-club?

Return to “Kitesurfing”