Stem Cell Treatment for Shoulder?

Forum for kitesurfers
Eurus
Frequent Poster

Re: Stem Cell Treatment for Shoulder?

Postby Eurus » Sat May 19, 2018 4:18 am

SaltWaterDog wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:33 pm
Stem cell looks like it could be a holy grail of medicine along with things like immunotherapy. If you’re in the US your options are probably limited thanks to the pro-life crowd preventing much needed research. Here’s a talk with Joe Rogan and Mel Gibson..
You're clearly a liberal idiot. Take your political vitriol elsewhere and get your facts straight. Pro-life movement has nothing to do with it. There is more than $1.5 BN per year invested into the research so stay on topic or STFU.

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Osprey1 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:07 am

Can people please get beyond their political associations and keep this forum on point? We visit this forum to have fun, make connections and share the stoke of kiting.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Sat May 19, 2018 3:50 pm

This is a great topic for the forum.
Already had full open surgery on one shoulder and the tendon on my other one is about to rip off from the bone.
The tricks kiters perform are almost guaranteed to result in many bad shoulders as these athletes get older.
Politics or no politics.
Mel Gibson was at my home last summer and I started to talk about global warming. He stamped his foot down and said he'd never seen anything with HIS eyes that proved it. That was the end of that discussion!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat May 19, 2018 6:50 pm

chemosavi wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 3:50 pm
This is a great topic for the forum.
Already had full open surgery on one shoulder and the tendon on my other one is about to rip off from the bone.
The tricks kiters perform are almost guaranteed to result in many bad shoulders as these athletes get older.
Politics or no politics.
Mel Gibson was at my home last summer and I started to talk about global warming. He stamped his foot down and said he'd never seen anything with HIS eyes that proved it. That was the end of that discussion!
But Mel makes some great movies.....If you have never seen Apocalyto I would highly recommend......I am Jaguar Paw, this is my forest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkYY_aL42H4

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Sat May 19, 2018 6:55 pm

He was here with his 26 ish old wife and newborn child.
Man has left quite a brood in his stead.
Like any good Scotsman would.
Old seeds die hard.
Very nice guy in person.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Sun May 20, 2018 12:43 pm

Osprey1 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:24 pm
After 3 knee injuries from snowboarding I have no cartilage left in my knee and I plan on having stem cell therapy performed after the summer kite season. My doctor (who also works on the Seahawks) says he’s seen improvements in 75% of patients two years on after treatment. Can any doctors weigh in on using stem cells to regrow carriage in knees?
i'm no doctor, but after my experience getting stem cell therapy (SCT)which did NOTHING for me, i'd advise you to use caution if you have little to no cartilage in your knee. after i got no relief whatsoever from SCT, i went to two other ortho outfits. both do normal surgical procedures and SCT as well. Both told me i was NOT a candidate for SCT because i had no cartilage left; the doctor who did my SCT (and only did SCT) was more than happy to take my money, and gave me equally impressive success rates. the latter doctors told me if i have little or no cartilage there, there's nothing for SCT to regenerate from. So my advice would be to make sure you get an opinion from someone who knows about both...SCT and more standard procedures.

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Sun May 20, 2018 4:43 pm

As a kiteboarder with shoulder issues, aggravated by kiteboarding, and with a better half having her own set of shoulder issues, I was hoping for a bit of medical advise and sharing of information on shoulder injuries from others in similar situations, so... I pulsed my fellow kiteboarders on this forum. I've done the same thing on ski and yoga forum for knee issues, but I didn't get quite the same reaction. I had no intention to stir the pot...

For those who don't think this is appropriate for the forum, just don't read it. Perhaps engage with a different thread. I pulsed the forum admin and he didn't have a problem with it.

For those of you who have shared, thanks for doing so.
pete32257 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:14 am
Is this the goddam New England Journal of Nedicine?
I thought this was a kite fohum—holy shit— Peter J Pitocchi M.D.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:00 pm

I agree, I am fascinated to hear more about such treatment, well from recipients and medical professionals. Not others.
This is particularly relevant to sports injuries.

galewarning wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:43 pm
As a kiteboarder with shoulder issues, aggravated by kiteboarding, and with a better half having her own set of shoulder issues, I was hoping for a bit of medical advise and sharing of information on shoulder injuries from others in similar situations, so... I pulsed my fellow kiteboarders on this forum. I've done the same thing on ski and yoga forum for knee issues, but I didn't get quite the same reaction. I had no intention to stir the pot...

For those who don't think this is appropriate for the forum, just don't read it. Perhaps engage with a different thread. I pulsed the forum admin and he didn't have a problem with it.

For those of you who have shared, thanks for doing so.
pete32257 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:14 am
Is this the goddam New England Journal of Nedicine?
I thought this was a kite fohum—holy shit— Peter J Pitocchi M.D.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:30 pm

An experienced orthopedic surgeon said they wouldn’t recommend it for a particular knee injury because it could cause more scar tissue to grow.

I haven’t researched it but would be cautious given the advertising I have seen that seems to position it like a miracle cure and some of the some of those selling it that have promoted other scams in the past.

Their should be some good research out their that’s hopefully independently funded and unbiased.

If it works great - we really need good solutions and orthopedic claims are usually in the top 5 categories of total costs of most large group medical plans.

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Postby Guttorm » Mon May 21, 2018 10:59 am

If you have serious knee pain this is working wery well
https://youtu.be/wP1Vv5Bzw_Q
It looks lame, but you will feel a lot better in 2-3 weeks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”