Forum for kitesurfers
SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Stem Cell Treatment for Shoulder?

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue May 15, 2018 3:19 am

SaltWaterDog wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:38 am
This is the last I’ll post on here since the thread has zero to do with kitesurfing.

Pro-lifers are the single most influential reason why research has lagged behind in the US and why (if you want to full plethora of stem treatments made available) you have to look elsewhere. Go compare legislation from different countries.
You sound like you are driven by hate more than facts. People have different beliefs. Get over it

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SaltWaterDog » Tue May 15, 2018 3:22 am

SalmonSlayer wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:19 am
SaltWaterDog wrote:
This is the last I’ll post on here since the thread has zero to do with kitesurfing.

Pro-lifers are the single most influential reason why research has lagged behind in the US and why (if you want to full plethora of stem treatments made available) you have to look elsewhere. Go compare legislation from different countries.
You sound like you are driven by hate more than facts. People have different beliefs. Get over it
Conflating facts and beliefs. What a mind reader you are. Beliefs are fine but facts inform public policy.

Incidentally, beliefs are the number one reason why cannabinoid research is so barren, just to give you another (non-religious) example. 95% of studies done on marijuana look for harm not benefits. That’s what beliefs do, but please, do go on presuming on my intentions. Now I really am done.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Tue May 15, 2018 4:49 am

LOL - you might well turn into a rabbit afterwards ...

Just forget it. I do medical devices and my wife works on stem cells. Their time will certainly come but they are certainly not there.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 15, 2018 8:53 am

dimitri had it on his knees.. he posts here sometimes

i know some rugby players downunder claim it continued career ending knee injuries.. the big clubs invested in it.. shoulders... no idea..

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada

Postby JustAGirl » Tue May 15, 2018 11:03 am

BWD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:52 am
...and there are lots of technologies now that are better and not so relevant to the 1990s-2000s fetal stem cell issues and political dramas. The approaches that use the patients’ own stem cells instead of some others are more appealing for many reasons. But applications are still somewhat limited, for all stem cell therapies...
Thanks BWD, one reasonable response... this is a troll thread, looking for political confrontation, not information ... Dimitri is friends w Obama, sorry, not likely to take anything from him, because O politicized everything, down to your pee... bottom line is: highly politicized overregulation kills solutions that can help people; nose to the ground & humility help

goutzi2000
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brooklyn
Gear: Ozone Enduros 9, 12, Ozone Zephyr, Elev8 7, switch 9, 12, various best.

Postby goutzi2000 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:35 pm

I had stem cell therapy 3 months ago in the left shoulder. I had a kitesurfing accident 3 years ago were I tore the pec and the labrum. After the surgery the follow up MRI showed osteoarthritis which is normal for such kind of traumas.

Lately the pain came back and I went for another MRI which it showed further progression of the osteoarthritis.
I went to the first doctor who told me to take pain killers and at some point in the future I will need shoulder replacement.

I didn't want to have another operation so I tries stem cell.

So far so good. No pain and full flexibility. By saying this though doesn't mean that I can attribute the results exclusively on sc. It could be the physio or just the rest of the shoulder. I have another MRI on September which by then either new cartilage should have grown or at least the deterioration should have stop. I will keep you posted if you are interested in.

I started kitesurfing after 2 months after the sc. The pain of the procedure was tolerable.

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Tue May 15, 2018 1:58 pm

SaltWaterDog wrote:
Yes and no... My better half is learning to kite and her shoulder issue is a big hurdle. When conventional mainstream medicine fails, desperation tends to broaden your perspective. The red flag for us is pain which prevents sleep. Thanks to everyone for sharing your feedback. I didn't mean to start a sh*t fest.
I'll ask the admin to move this thread to the Fitness/Exercise forum...
-B

edit: Looks like the Fitness/Exercise forum is going away, so this thread will have to be tolerated.

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Wed May 16, 2018 1:56 pm

goutzi2000 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:35 pm
I had stem cell therapy 3 months ago in the left shoulder. ...snip...
PM sent. Thanks for the thread response.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada

Postby JustAGirl » Wed May 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Hope you are feeling better, gotzl! Take it slow!

I understand the anxieties & the disproportionate faith we have in medicine, but no one can escape the big question „what if the big accident happens?“, the dreaded „game over“... med tech can only go so far & I don’t really trust hospitals; they‘ll keep you plugged into machines forever or as long as your bank account allows it. Look at Schumacher! Some register for euthanasia in Switzerland. Would you? ... everyone‘s got a plan B

I also invest in other things to fall back on should my body deny me the pleasures of my sports, like culture, relationships, curiosity, intellectual pleasures, wonderment, all the things that require a big, childish open heart... that will surely get you in trouble ✌️

Just don’t fall for over-hyped, over-priced treatments & think WITH your doctor; neither doc nor gov is in your skin; you are!

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu May 17, 2018 8:01 pm

goutzi2000 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:35 pm
I had stem cell therapy 3 months ago in the left shoulder. I had a kitesurfing accident 3 years ago were I tore the pec and the labrum. After the surgery the follow up MRI showed osteoarthritis which is normal for such kind of traumas.

Lately the pain came back and I went for another MRI which it showed further progression of the osteoarthritis.
I went to the first doctor who told me to take pain killers and at some point in the future I will need shoulder replacement.

I didn't want to have another operation so I tries stem cell.

So far so good. No pain and full flexibility. By saying this though doesn't mean that I can attribute the results exclusively on sc. It could be the physio or just the rest of the shoulder. I have another MRI on September which by then either new cartilage should have grown or at least the deterioration should have stop. I will keep you posted if you are interested in.

I started kitesurfing after 2 months after the sc. The pain of the procedure was tolerable.
Good input, thanks.

I considered it for my knee a while back, specially after Dmitri underwent treatment and semed to report success (haven't heard any updates in a while, though)

I contacted the company he went to and they sent me the full post treatment recommendations. Lots of pretty high dollar daily supplements recommended which were all good for promoting cartilage health. Additionally you go through PT and they recommend a follow-up PRP or second stem cell injection in a year. It seems like it would be pretty hard to tell what is really giving the benefit? I wonder if you gave someone a placebo injection and then had them take all the supplements and do the PT, would they get the same results?

I think it offers a lot of benefit and promise with continued R&D. It was just odd to me when I looked at the long list of recommendations for post-surgery, which I could just start doing now I guess. And skip the pricey injections. :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”