Forum for kitesurfers
RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Stem Cell Treatment for Shoulder?

Postby RadDrDuke » Fri May 18, 2018 1:44 am

Wow what a thread.

I am an academic M.D. and do basic science research as well including with "stem cells", of which there are many types.

No-one is really harvesting "stem cells" from embryos anymore because it is time-consuming, quasi-unethical, and almost always unnecessary now that we know about the different cell lineages etc., so "pro-lifers" aren't involved at all anymore, although I would say that experimenting with embryos is NOT a good thing to begin wtih.
This talk of 5 publishers owning the industry is non-sense, the publishing company has no say in what gets published, the editor does, and he/she is in no way affiliated with Springer etc. I know many editors and publish lots of articles in peer-reviewed journals, it's not a scam or a conspiracy.

To address the actual point: there is not a lot of data but there IS decent data for stem cell therapy in moderate degenerative disease (osteoarthritis) without significant underlying defects ie. fully torn tendons/ligaments etc. Sometimes you need surgery with some screws and steel. Sometimes stem cells can postpone this. The key is finding an honest experienced doctor that can do it in a safe manner.

If it were my shoulder I would: get an MRI, consult a shoulder orthopod, consult a second, do full 6 months PT and shoulder injections, and then finally POSSIBLY think about stem cells but only if no true underlying structural defect exists.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JustAGirl » Fri May 18, 2018 11:29 am

Dr Duke, I piblish too, so keep it! Three words: Elsevier & Lancet politics; also, every major research clinic from UCLA, from which my research holds an award, to Charite, Berlin & Rockefeller China is under ONE umbrella... rest my case!

Glad you agree with the rest of what I said...

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Fri May 18, 2018 1:55 pm

@RadDrDuke,
My Better Half's had two MRIs in 18 months and three steroid injections [not guided] over about the same time. Injections seem to help a couple months and then the pattern of popping and a half-nights of sleep returns. Taking IBU all the time doesn't seem to help with the pain. She's given up with the lame PT protocol they gave her and she just works on maintaing range of motion and stays as active in sports as much as possible. I've had success with her medical group. I had a full thickness supraspinatus tear which was reattached, but my arthritis is minimal. It's been about 11 months and I'm happy. However, I'm not happy with the entire orthopod group. The doc who read my pre-op MRI noted that my long head biceps attachment was normal, but at first post-op visit surgeon [not same doc who read MRI], they told me I have no long head biceps. Oops, guess that tiny detail was overlooked...
We're getting 2nd and additional opinions. Giving docs the MRIs, without the MRI reads so they can form their own opinion. IMHO, something can be done, be it debridement/resurfacing, etc. to get past this tough-it-out and wait until you are older for a shoulder replacement phase. So, until the 2nd and additional opinions come thru, we're researching stem cell treatment [the reason I started this thread].
Re: stem-cell treatment - My take is that it can be effective if soft tissue isn't totally degenerated and the underlying structures are in decent shape, right? I remember my pre-op PT telling me to ask the surgeon, after the surgery, if my tissue was "like crab meat". It wasn't. Perhaps stem cells only work at repairing minimally damaged tissue/tendons.
RadDrDuke wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:44 am
...snip...
If it were my shoulder I would: get an MRI, consult a shoulder orthopod, consult a second, do full 6 months PT and shoulder injections, and then finally POSSIBLY think about stem cells but only if no true underlying structural defect exists.

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Fri May 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Drifting a bit further off topic, but thought I'd share another reason for our less than 100% confidence in the ortho group we're dealing with. Photo - After getting my sutures out and after taking my first real shower, I was standing in the mirror checking out my three incisions. At least they got two out of three steri strips right...
Steri-wrong.jpg
Steri-wrong.jpg (87.76 KiB) Viewed 5223 times
Last edited by galewarning on Sat May 19, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Fri May 18, 2018 3:55 pm

JustAGirl wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:03 am
Dimitri is friends w Obama, sorry, not likely to take anything from him, because O politicized everything, down to your pee
I remember when this forum was about kiting, not about bashing kiters. Obama kites, so I guess that makes you a bad person for enjoying the same sport.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada

Postby JustAGirl » Fri May 18, 2018 4:26 pm

OMG, I’m gonna cry...

You need to have at least ONE physician who knows you and your history well and whom you can trust. Medical decisions depend on interpersonal relations and we can’t really help you here. You can gain library knowledge, tons of opinions & advice, there are so many options, but in the end it’s between you, your family and your doctor.

Please don’t generalize & extrapolate from what I said! A bad leader doing some sport doesn’t make the sport bad, maybe just temporarily leaderless & retarded... 🙄

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri May 18, 2018 4:55 pm

This is a good thread (if we keep the politics and name calling out of it).

Yes, ultimately get professional opinions, but it's also nice to hear opinions from other kiters. Most doctors do not understand kiting. I know when I described it to my ortho he still thinks I'm hanging on to an out of control kite without a harness. Doesn't fully appreciate the dynamics. Additionally, most doctors are biased to their own solutions and against alternative medical options. Thus we have to weigh all this conflicting data in our head and we're not trained medical professionals. At least on this forum you might get a kiting doctor to respond, which is really helpful.

That said, I like my doc and he gave me his honest assessment of what joints he has seen positive data on stem cell treatment and which ones he has not. Now, if I had as good a memory as him, I would share that with you... :lol:

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:24 pm

After 3 knee injuries from snowboarding I have no cartilage left in my knee and I plan on having stem cell therapy performed after the summer kite season. My doctor (who also works on the Seahawks) says he’s seen improvements in 75% of patients two years on after treatment. Can any doctors weigh in on using stem cells to regrow carriage in knees?

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri May 18, 2018 9:30 pm

t3rse wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:55 pm
JustAGirl wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:03 am
Dimitri is friends w Obama, sorry, not likely to take anything from him, because O politicized everything, down to your pee
I remember when this forum was about kiting, not about bashing kiters. Obama kites, so I guess that makes you a bad person for enjoying the same sport.
I have read many jabs at Trump from lefties on this forum and simply ignore them. Justagirls was short and harmless, let it go.
Plus she has the best avatar on here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by matth on Sat May 19, 2018 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

pete32257
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Matanzas inlet
Huguenot Park
Style: intermediate
Gear: mostly airush lithium

Postby pete32257 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:14 am

Is this the goddam New England Journal of Nedicine?

I thought this was a kite fohum—holy shit— Peter J Pitocchi M.D.

Return to “Kitesurfing”