Favorite Beaches: Brazil, Sussex, Lanzarote
Style: Low intermediate, aim: wave/freeride
Gear: North Rebel, North twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Neo vs Cabrinha Drifter for wave/freeride

Postby technicaltitch » Mon May 14, 2018 6:34 pm

Hi all, wondering if anyone has any views on Neo vs Drifter?

I'm a low intermediate, will kite most in 10-20 knots, am 63kgs male, and hope to get away with a single kite.

I am working on going strapless next, always enjoy waves above anything, do a bit of freeride and almost no freestyle. I want something rock solid construction, as I live in Ethiopia so kitesurf only when I take some days off and go abroad, and spares aren't available.

The Neo and the Drifter both seem pretty suitable. The Neo is described as more grunt (you should use a size lower than usual - not sure if this is taken into account in the reviews), and a more progressive depower. The Drifter is described as more twitchy, nimble and aggressive. (The Ozone Reo also gets rave reviews in this space, but seems a little too wave-dedicated.)

I've been flying a 2007 North Rebel since I started kiting. The only modern kite I've flown was a Naish Park, which I instantly adored for its lack of sudden thumps of power especially as the kite inflates after a drift, the comparative lightness of the power when steering it through the centre of the power zone, and its sensitivity/one hand quick steerability. As soon as I flew it I realized my trusty old 2007 Rebel should have been retired years ago.

On build quality, wind range, and versatility for wave/freeride I was pretty sold on the Neo. However I've just heard the Neo is even more grunty than the Rebel. The only decent comparison I've come across (by MACkiteboarders) is the above, but the guy later mentions in the comments that he found the Drifter more fun.

Be very grateful for any thoughts on whether the Drifter is more nimble and fun, or whether I'm going in the wrong direction going from Rebel to Neo hoping for smoother power, thanks.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Re: North Neo vs Cabrinha Drifter for wave/freeride

Postby knotwindy » Tue May 15, 2018 4:26 am

Either of those two kites will be better for waves and free ride than your old Rebel so which is cheaper? Also, since you mentioned Ozone and the Reo was to wave oriented you should consider the Enduro V2 on the wave setting. Very fun kite.

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Tue May 15, 2018 8:28 am

Ive ridden both quite a bit. The drifters power delivery is silky smooth if that is what you like, I think it is a superb wave / freeride kite.

I find the Neo to be too on/off in its power delivery, very uncomfortable in gusty conditions.

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Tue May 15, 2018 12:02 pm

It's mainly down to personal preferences and also your weight and skill level. I find this video really good in describing the characteristics of the two kites https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNgxwMQVp1Y

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Sat May 19, 2018 6:07 pm

I have ridden all of those wave kites and I think the reo is the best. But it sounds like you want something freeride so don't get any of them. Get a 12m freeride kite for those winds.

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BJkitesurf » Sat May 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Sun May 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Come on! These are the most ridiculous and useless movies ever made.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Sun May 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Plus one on that !!!

Most every section , is surfing in side shore or cross off winds, where so called "Drift" is not even needed,

I think and It's only my opinion, that we have been sucked into this whole Wave Kite / Drift marketing . an average "Freeride" kite is adequate for 99% of us.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun May 20, 2018 4:59 pm

I ha been riding bws for years and lately ocean rodeo roam. Waves when there are any and foiling when not. Ilike to go straight ddownwind in the swells so max drift is appreciated. I just got a liquid force wow. Fun kite but the slightly less drift is noticeable. Wants to fly forward more actively, not as happy to sit back waiting for instructions. To use this kite for what I want to do I'll need to get proficient looping it for the marginal wind moments.

Friend loves the neo, graduated from rebel. I'll ask him about grunt but I am pretty sure neo way less. Rebel had too high bar pressure for his elbows I think.

Drifter gets great reviews. 50 percent off sale right now...http://www.mackiteboarding.com/2017-cab ... ding-kite/

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Mon May 21, 2018 11:06 am

jonysan wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 3:38 pm
Plus one on that !!!

Most every section , is surfing in side shore or cross off winds, where so called "Drift" is not even needed,

I think and It's only my opinion, that we have been sucked into this whole Wave Kite / Drift marketing . an average "Freeride" kite is adequate for 99% of us.
I think to really park and drift takes specific conditions in regards to the wave and wind.

The other thing it seems a lot of free ride kites have gone three strut and are more surf oriented, like the Naish pivot, core Nexus.

If you wanted to stay North you might consider the new three strut evo.

Return to “Kitesurfing”