Favorite Beaches: Egypt, Marsa Alam, Boracay
Style: All
Gear: none
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite Windange with Core Kites 70kg?

Postby Riptzen » Tue May 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Hello There,

i want to buy my own Kitesurfing Equipment but im not sure about the Kite Sizes.
Im 176cm tall and +-70KG and i dont have any favoring Spots except i prefer warm water.

I was kiting in these Spots so far:
Portugal, Alvor,

Philippines, Boracay (very nice)

Egypt, Marsa Alam (<-- best Spot so far for me)

Greece, Kos

I want to buy Core kites for example the XR 1 or XR 2 and i heard the common Kite Range is 7-9-12. And of course those sizes are harder to find used. I can get Kites in a really good condition and price in Size 8 and 11.
Now, my question is if 8 and 11 (and maybe 13,5 later)would be enough for my 70kg? or should i stick aswell with 7-9-12. My Board size is 139cm. What do you recommend with Core Kites?
I would like to kitesurf in different spots like Spain (Tarifa, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura), Zanzibar, Egypt, Cape Town, Dahkla, Phillippines and also in the Caribean region and i prefer Freeriding, Oldschool-Tricks and Wave Riding..
What do you recommend with Core Kites?

Thank you in Advance for your Help!

roninXpl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sopot, Poland
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, NHP Carbon Split, Airush Ultra II 12m, FS Speed2 13m.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite Windange with Core Kites 70kg?

Postby roninXpl » Tue May 15, 2018 4:22 pm

My quiver is XR5 11-9 + XR4 7m. Although 11 and 8 would be better. I'm also 70kg net.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.

Postby SaltWaterDog » Tue May 15, 2018 4:33 pm

If you’ve got a light freeride board the 8-11-13.5 combo is totally fine. You’ll get good low end capabilities from the 13.5 for sure. I’m 88kg and use 12-9-6 in the regular sizes but it depends a lot on the average conditions where you’re kiting regularly. All the spots you mention are known for having good wind depending on which local spots you pick. The 8 and 9 are awesome in +25kts conditions and all the XR models do well at the top end with the amount of depower available. Core is tough to find used but if you can get your hands on old XR4’s you won’t regret it.

If you’re still open to other suggestions, take a look at Eleveight. It’s a new brand (so no used market yet) but I haven’t heard a single negative thing about their RS and FS models (or any of their gear) and prices are attractive.

If you can find a good deal on used Ozone kites then consider those as well but these days there really isn’t a crap brand out there. Most will give you a reliable and durable setup.

Riptzen
Rare Poster

Postby Riptzen » Tue May 15, 2018 5:31 pm

I have a Concept X Split Kiteboard Ruler Pro Splitboard and it says that its 20% lighter then other boards..
Im still a beginner thats why i dont want to buy a new Kite..And as far i checked the prices in Germany (for used kites and 2-5 years old) Cabrinha, North, slingshot are the most expensive. For example i can get Core Riot xr2 in 11 for 300€ in good condition and cabrinha switchblade from 2014 with repaired holes cost 490€ and North is even more expensive. Thats why i was choosing core.
So then i can get 8 - 11 - and later 13,5 and im not gonna regret it?

thank you all for your help!

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster

Postby SaltWaterDog » Tue May 15, 2018 7:02 pm

Sounds like a good deal if you don’t find any defects. Remember to check the trailing edge of the canopy. If it feels like silk that means you will likely experience rips soon. The more crunchy, crispy and consistent the canopy feels, the longer it will last. And if the leading edge material looks worn out in any way just walk away. The rest will be relatively easy fixes whether you order parts from Core or DIY.

You sound like you want to kite as much as possible. If that’s the case and if it’s easy for you to get out on the water regularly, I would suggest not putting together a used quiver. Perhaps buy one XR2 (or any cheap option you find) in a 11, 12 or above size and beat the crap out of that kite while you improve and save up some more for new kites or wait for a great deal on a XR4, for example. People who get addicted to kiting tend to improve really fast and there’s nothing nicer than putting together a new quiver that you know you won’t be destroying because you’ve gained experience. Hard to give solid advice on a forum but if it were me starting from scratch, I would get a decent used kite with great range and beat it to death while I look for other great deals or save up for new kites. If you wanted to get new XR5’s for example, you could do most conditions with a 12-9 quiver (would cover you from about 12-32kts). 3 kites is ideal whether you want your third kite to be a small size or a LW kite, but a 2 kite quiver with any kite that has big range will offer you a lot. You won’t regret the 8-11 option, I think, but your size and the wind range of the XR means that a 9-12 setup would do just fine for you as well.

Never tried a ConceptX board but don’t take all the marketing guarantees too seriously but sounds like they prioritise freeride attributes.

ALWAYS demo before you buy especially used kites and if the seller won’t agree to a demo you should walk away.

Riptzen
Rare Poster

Postby Riptzen » Tue May 15, 2018 7:19 pm

Thank you very much for your Tips. I really appreciate it!

tkachuk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 75 kilos
Local Beach: Squamish, Nitinat (formerly: Cherry Beach, Allanwood, Presquil)
Favorite Beaches: Presquil (Ontario), Long Bay Turks, Silver Sands Barbados, OBX, Key Biscayne Florida
Style: boosting, carving my jibes, waves on TT
Gear: CORE, Shinn

Postby tkachuk » Tue May 15, 2018 11:21 pm

I am same weight at ~165lbs and a an intermediate kiter. 6, 8, 11 and 15m CORE XR4/5s cover me for most conditions except real light wind (I use a sizeable soft kite for <12 knots). Be careful with buying used XR4s, the stitching at the leading edge near spars, in RARE instances can be defective and split in half. Do not buy used XR4s with repairs done on one side near a spar close to the LE, the other side will eventually blow out too. Blew the first side out on my crinkly, obsessively well-looked after, two year old 11m XR4 in Barbados a month ago just by dropping the kite on the water after a bad jump and last week, after a costly repair, the other side split in half LE to TE plus herniated the spar bladder while gently aborting a downloop transition during a downwinder in obx. And no, despite buying 4 new CORE kites at full retail price, I did not get a refund on my 11m. Just sayin,if you buy enough kites, I guess eventually you get a defective one.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster

Postby SaltWaterDog » Wed May 16, 2018 12:12 am

Ugh. That sucks man. Hadn’t heard there was a problem with used XR’s. Thanks for the info.

Return to “Kitesurfing”