Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Azores, Guincho In Early July

Postby RickI » Sat May 19, 2018 3:41 am

I am getting the impression that winds are on the lighter side in the Azores, specifically Sao Miguel and Pino Island in early July? By contrast Guincho near Lisbon on the mainland is supposed to have good wind and waves in early July? All this is barring some bizarre tropical weather banging into either area changing things around. Trying to decide whether to bring kite gear along for a somewhat short trip. Thanks!

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: Azores, Guincho In Early July

Postby Dirk » Sat May 19, 2018 8:42 am

Early July is top season for Guincho, but there is no 100% guarantee if there is wind for a couple of days. Conditions can range from mellow to nuking, choppy to 2-4m waves. If it is too rough you can go to Costa Caparica. If there is no wind go surfing. Bring a 3/2 or 4/3 full suit, water is cold.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sat May 19, 2018 10:02 am

you can also drive up north to Viana do castello thermic wind in this period...just in case.
cheers
dude

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sat May 19, 2018 3:14 pm

I was wondering what sort of wetsuit to bring, thanks for the insight. Are the afternoon thermic winds fairly reliable in Viana do castello? If so, what is the typical wind range around July? As there is a wide range in potential wind, light to honking, are kite rentals available in some of these coastal areas in Portugal? To confirm, wind prospects in a normal July aren't that good in the Azores if anyone knows? Thank you for the information guys.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sat May 19, 2018 5:40 pm

http://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/spot/cabedelo_de_viana
Best Months:
April, May, June, July, August, September
Wind Type:
Thermal
Best Direction:
NW
Main Direction:
NW
Summer all days, winds from 12-35 knots. Usual direction is NW, it is also the best direction.

https://www.windsurf.co.uk/micro-guide- ... -portugal/

https://de.magicseaweed.com/Viana-do-Ca ... Guide/188/
Last edited by naishdude on Sat May 19, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Sat May 19, 2018 5:55 pm

Wind in Summer in Portugal is called Nortada. It blows from the Northwest and is the starting point of the trade wind system which also blows on the Canary Islands. Generally it is a light breeze all along the coast but gets accelerated by mountains and thermal effects especially in Guincho and I think in Viana as well. On a day when the Nortada is strong all along the coast you will be blown out of the water in Guincho.
Not sure about kite rentals.

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Sun May 20, 2018 1:01 am

Some years ago I kited in Gincho in July.
Not a spot for beginners. Expect strong and gusty NW winds from 20 to 40 knots, big waves and strong currents. Oh.. and rocks!
If you drive south some kilometres you'll find Lagoa D'Albufeira. Lighter winds and a big lagoon with flat water.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sun May 20, 2018 2:29 am

Excellent information folks, many thanks! Sounds like on a strong day Gincho may be near blown out. The waves go over 4 m in strong conditions on the outside I imagine? It is good to have options beyond Gincho although I prefer waves to flat water. The good thing about small kites is that they pack down to a fairly small size, so I should be able to fit two sizes in the bag. I got a split board a couple of years ago which makes a big difference in traveling.

Al_Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave SST 9m, 7m, 5m
Airush Converse 6'1'', FW EVO 5'3''
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Al_Kiter » Tue May 22, 2018 8:27 pm

The kite I use most in july in Guincho is my RPM 4.5m (weight 180lb) so packing shouldn't be a problem :lol: The waves, however are hardly ever overhead in the summer.

If the wind is nuking in guincho and it feels like too much to handle, drive south to Costa da Caparica. There are 3 beaches where kiting is allowed (Nova Vaga, Bela Vista and Fonte da Telha/windspirit) and the waves and wind will be mellower than Guincho.

The Azores is really not the best bet in the summer as there are no thermal wind spots. It's much better in the autumn and winter but very difficult to predict as the weather is really unstable. BUT, if you surf, then it's heaven on earth :thumb:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue May 22, 2018 9:44 pm

You are right something around 5 m packs down quite small. That will be a novelty, the last time I flew a 5 m (four line LEI) was in 2005! Kiteable winds are usually on the lighter side in Florida outside of much higher stuff in squalls and hurricanes of course. My high wind kite is a 9 m at 190 lbs. and doesn't see that much use in a year. Thanks for your confirmation on the Azores. I may still pack some kite gear for the mainland. Thanks guys.

Return to “Kitesurfing”