Favorite Beaches: La Franqui
Style: Freeride
Gear: Fone, Switch
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Ready to start again but first I need to buy my gear

Postby maxriderkite » Sat May 19, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi guys!

I’m finally ready to start again kiteboarding and I need your experience/advice, please.

I’m actually a beginner (kiteboarding for more than 4 years but the sessions I had can be counted on my fingers…) However, for once in my life I finally have plenty of time to do kiteboarding every week (or day) during more than 4 months :)

So I’m planning to buy a new gear to make good progress quickly but safely!

I’ve been looking around and maybe planning to buy (on www.flysurf.com):
- Pack Kite F-ONE Bandit 2017 9M + Board F-ONE TRAX HRD Lite Tech 2017 + F-ONE Monolith 2017
+ Kite NAISH RIDE 2017 7M

But I don't know if it's a good choice for a predictive, fast progress and safe kite. (I still have a very old F-ONE Volt 7M and a NOBILE NBL 2011).

I used to do kiteboarding in a flat spot (lake) when most of the time there is quite strong (+20knots) and gusty wind but sometimes there can be less strong and regular wind, in this case, I go to the sea. I will be around Leucate, France.

Given that I’m light (around 65 kg and 1m78), maybe 6M or 5M kite size could be better but I would have to pay +150€ for a smaller New Naish Ride 5M or 6M (I couldn’t find 5-6M for the 2017 model)

So my questions are:
- Is the first choice above (FONE pack + Naish kite) a good choice for what I’m looking for?
- If I’m willing to pay for a new kite (maximum 1300€ with a bar) is there a brand/kite you would advise me to look for according to what I said?
- Is it worth paying more for the new NAISH Ride but smaller size because I’m light?
- Also is the F-ONE Monolith 2017 compatible with the NAISH RIDE and most kites?

I may have some stupid questions but I'm quite confused to be honest. It's been more than 2 years I haven't done kiteboarding, unfortunately...

Thanks a lot!

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Re: Ready to start again but first I need to buy my gear

Postby FLandOBX » Sat May 19, 2018 12:27 pm

Hey, maxrider. Glad you're getting back into the sport.

I'll defer to others for opinions on the kites you've listed (I don't use either F-One or Naish), but I'm wondering if you could save money on your board to apply to new kites. If the Nobile 2011 is your old board, can you use it while you progress? Nobile has always made awesome kiteboards.

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Sat May 19, 2018 12:53 pm

F-one bandit is good for gusty winds. It has very good depower and big wind range. I would say its good choice for beginner.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Has thanked: 0

Postby SaltWaterDog » Sat May 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Your first kite should never be new, imho.

Especially a used Bandit would be great. There are generally lots of them (F-One is one of the largest manufacturers), they are cheap because their build quality isn’t exceptional like some other brands so it’s a great first kite to beat the shit out of while you gain some experience. If you can get out regularly and given your size, you would get a lot out of a 10 or 11m delta/bow kite with lots of depower.

There isn’t really a crap brand out there but the ones I would recommend for new kites would be Eleveight, Core and Ozone. Those are the kites I’ve enjoyed using the most, anyways.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat May 19, 2018 4:38 pm

As far as sizing goes, your first kite should not be a 5 or 6m, as the winds you would need to ride those sizes in would be far too dangerous for a beginner.

I'm the same weight as you and a 12m is my go-to kite, from 12 to 20 knots. This is the wind speed you should be learning in, as the consequences are lower if something goes wrong.

If your new spot is consistently 18-20+, I'd grab a 9m or 10m (depending on what you can find a good deal on if price is important to you), which would cover you from about 17-19 knots up to 25-27 knots. I use a 7m if it's like 28kn minimum with a twintip, though you could maybe ride it in a little less as a beginner.

As a beginner I'd keep it under 25 knots with a 12m or 9m until you're more experienced.

If you can't find good deals on a kite you like, you could check out some of the brands that ship direct from the warehouse - they're not sold in shops, so the cost is often considerably less for a brand new kite.
www.switchkites.com
www.bestkiteboarding.com
http://takoon-family.com/en/

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sat May 19, 2018 7:07 pm

Or if you want to go economic and are in France.. Stormkitesurfing.net
7 & 9 freeride kite 3 struts 1025€ together..

bar storm = 325€
totem universal bar = 280€

wind chaser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: California
Style: Free-Surf-Foil
Gear: Slingshot, Best, Duotone

Postby wind chaser » Sun May 20, 2018 12:13 am

You might want to do your research on The f one bandit:
viewtopic.php?t=2395251
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8tAS4dCwzY

maxriderkite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Leucate, Barcares
Favorite Beaches: La Franqui
Gear: Fone, Switch

Postby maxriderkite » Sun May 20, 2018 10:18 am

@FLandOBX you're definitely right, I will keep my Nobile board. I wanted to start again from scratch with a brand new gear but no need to buy another board for now.

@Turbaani I was very attracted by the Bandit but now @wind chaser clearly stopped me in my decision with the safety system... and I don't want to buy a 2018 bandit it's way too expensive.

@SaltWaterDog you're right it would be better to progress and do my first mistakes with second-hand kites, I will take a look a Core and Ozone (XR and Catalyst I suppose).

@Peert Nice the website Stormkitesurfing.net I'll take a look at it, are these kites as reliable and safe as major brands?

@dylan okay got it, I didn't think this way but starting with bigger kites and lighter wind is clearly safer and smarter. In this case, I'll look for kites from 10 to 12m and keep my 7m kite for now. The issue is that my spot is rather +25knots than -20knots but it was stupid from me to go for this wind speed to start again, thanks for making my life safer!

So I forget about Bandit, buy a 2016 or 2017 kite and will probably take a look at Airush Lithium, North Evo, Switch, Naish, Ozone, or Core.
Thank you all for your inputs, you made my life so easier and safer! I just need know to find a good deal/kite to go back on the water.
If anyone wants to add something, I'm still open to new suggestions and avice!

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sun May 20, 2018 10:30 am

maxriderkite wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:18 am

@Peert Nice the website Stormkitesurfing.net I'll take a look at it, are these kites as reliable and safe as major brands?
Yes build quality on par with all the rest.
Reliability and safety is also all the same.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Has thanked: 0

Postby SaltWaterDog » Sun May 20, 2018 1:58 pm

maxriderkite wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:18 am
@wind chaser clearly stopped me in my decision with the safety system... and I don't want to buy a 2018 bandit it's way too expensive.

@SaltWaterDog you're right it would be better to progress and do my first mistakes with second-hand kites, I will take a look a Core and Ozone (XR and Catalyst I suppose).
Catalyst, Enduro, Edge, XR, Nexus, GTS, Eleveight PS, RS & FS are all great kites but as I see it you have two approaches:

1.) pick a beginner/all-round oriented kite and progress on a softer learning curve.

2.) pick a kite for the type of riding you’re interested in and possibly face a tougher learning curve. With this approach you should consider a few one-on-one lessons (never buy group lessons they are a waste of money and time) or find a more experienced person who will give you some support for the first few sessions.

It all depends on the goals you set for yourself and the more you know you want to do, the better you’ll be able to pick a kite that suits you.

Ive always used the XR because it has great stability, range and depower and while it’s not the most agile kite for things like freestyle, it still remains one of the best all-round kites out there.

Bandit & F-One: until recently F-One was not known for a great safety system, this is true. I believe they were flagging out on both centre lines as recently as 3 years ago but I haven’t followed along much. So yes, be sure you pick a setup with a reliable safety system. Bandit has great flight characteristics so it is a good beginners kite.

You have an advantage being light so a 11m or 12m with range and depower can be your “do it all” kite for starters. And you’ve got a good board that you like so simply picking a solid second hand kite means you can start sooner putting together a new quiver.
Last edited by SaltWaterDog on Sun May 20, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”