Forum for kitesurfers
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ready to start again but first I need to buy my gearea

Postby downunder » Sun May 20, 2018 2:23 pm

I'm 60kg.

My biggest bet would be a 13m kite. Something that can take bashing, like Cab xbow.

Before that was strugling with a 9m kite for a year! You need quite some wind for that, and u know, I rarely use my 9 anyway. Handful times in a year, if that.

The 11 is my 95% of choosing, up to 25-28 kn, riding 120 board so super powered.

The board takes years to find, its super personal since in reality its the strapa which makes the most. Im using only NTT on all boards. Suits my foot.

Straps you can pick for life. Boards can be changed, straps can stay.

Also have vibram 5fingers, really love the new Signa model.

D.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Re: Ready to start again but first I need to buy my gear

Postby TomW » Sun May 20, 2018 3:10 pm

You should get a 12 and 9 kite, same brand and model and one bar. Don't get a "wave" kite or a "c "kite". I'd say stick to well known brands and mainstream all around kite. 12-18 knots use the 12, 18-24 use the 9. First 6 months don't go out in more wind unless you have steady, non turbulent and open launch and landing space with responsible and helpful kiters at your launch.

maxriderkite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Leucate, Barcares
Favorite Beaches: La Franqui
Style: Freeride
Gear: Fone, Switch
Been thanked: 0

Postby maxriderkite » Sun May 20, 2018 7:58 pm

Thank you very much guys, very cool all your advice!

I'm very interested in starting with a 12m or 13m kite like from Switch, Core or Ozone.

But I think I'll start first with a 10m kite size because the spot/region, Leucate, I will be living has a very strong gusty wind (tramontana). When the average wind is +25-30 knots rather than -20knots. There's also lighter wind (Marin) but like 1-2 days per month.
I'm pretty sure if I buy a 12-13m I'll never be able to use it...

So I think I made my choice and will go for a 10m Switch Element6 kite (or maybe Core XR). And later buy a new 7m or 12m depending on how it goes and my experience on-site.

I've been reading a lot in this forum and the Element 6 seems to be a very good and reliable kite. Sure, I could buy cheaper kites but for +2years I've been working non-stop, didn't have a life, and couldn't do any kiteboarding. Now I have the time (and money) I just want to enjoy it 200% (safely of course) and join a club there to make sure to progress correctly with other kiters.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun May 20, 2018 8:20 pm

maxriderkite wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:58 pm
.....for +2years I've been working non-stop, didn't have a life, and couldn't do any kiteboarding. Now I have the time (and money) I just want to enjoy it 200%.....
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Gotta' love that you are so stoked. Wish I could maintain that level of excitement all the time!

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Sun May 20, 2018 8:38 pm

For gusty offshore wind i Leucate I would have depower and windrange as the most important things when I chose a kite.
You have to rely on your gear to be able coming back to the beach! It can get really windy really quick..

A bar with a long throw and good depower system with is also a good thing. I would go for a racebar (ozone) that have that.

The people who say should have that size and that brand/model should first have a look at "defi wind" or "defi kite" to understand the wind you are dealing with.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SaltWaterDog » Sun May 20, 2018 9:15 pm

maxriderkite wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:58 pm
Thank you very much guys, very cool all your advice!

I'm very interested in starting with a 12m or 13m kite like from Switch, Core or Ozone.

But I think I'll start first with a 10m kite size because the spot/region, Leucate, I will be living has a very strong gusty wind (tramontana). When the average wind is +25-30 knots rather than -20knots. There's also lighter wind (Marin) but like 1-2 days per month.
I'm pretty sure if I buy a 12-13m I'll never be able to use it...

So I think I made my choice and will go for a 10m Switch Element6 kite (or maybe Core XR). And later buy a new 7m or 12m depending on how it goes and my experience on-site.

I've been reading a lot in this forum and the Element 6 seems to be a very good and reliable kite. Sure, I could buy cheaper kites but for +2years I've been working non-stop, didn't have a life, and couldn't do any kiteboarding. Now I have the time (and money) I just want to enjoy it 200% (safely of course) and join a club there to make sure to progress correctly with other kiters.
I hear you. Either Switch, Core or Ozone will do well for you. I’ll speak for the XR since it’s the one I own. In Denmark we get some great wind all year round and fall is amazing when it comes to gusty days where you can test out the top end of your kite. I’m on 12-9-6 in the regular sizes and I rarely get to use my 6 because the XR is at its best at the top end. When I feel like it’s time to pack in my 9m (max 32kts) I’m usually pretty tired already and just call it a day. If you decide to go for Core, just be aware that the QR is unique (twist release not push/pull) and some people are not fans. I have no complaints but then I’m used to it. If you like boosting the XR is one of the best along with the Edge and Rebel kites. Whatever you pick, as mentioned several times already, go for good depower. So a kite like the XR will also allow you to be oversized to get the max out of conditions. Personally, I think you should go for minimum 11m and max 13(.5), no matter what you chose, given the info about yourself that you’ve posted.

Return to “Kitesurfing”