Local Beach: Kessenich, Brouwersdam, Vrouwenpolder, de Slufter
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: freeride
Gear: Core XR8 2023 sizes 7, 9 and 12
Lieuwe Falcon 135x40
Brand Affiliation: None

North Trust bar 2018

Postby AndyClaessen » Sat May 19, 2018 6:11 pm

This week I was using my new Dice 9m2 with my brand new Trust bar 2018 with 22meters lines (4-line setup) for the first time. After +/- 1 hour jumping session, the yellow 'strong middle line' snapped suddenly. The kite started to loop and I had to quick release it to avoid looping further. Before switching to North Kiteboarding, I was always flying Core GTS kites and Core bars that didn't have this very strange issue, especially when brand new.
What is furthermore strange is that this snapped yellow line is 17cm shorter then the line on my second Trust bar with 24 meters that I have for my new Dice 12m2. The 'strong middle line' is normally 6 meter total length on any bar/line combination. I cannot imagine that this 17cm is gone due to the snap.
TrustBar_snappedyellowline.JPG
Apparently, I can order this 'strong middle line' on the North Kiteboarding spare parts website. Of course I informed also the shop where I bought all my new gear to get a new line under warranty.

I 'm wondering if others had a similar issue with this 'strong middle line' as it is called in the North manual. Furthermore I appreciate it if somebody could share an instruction how to easily replace this line with a new one? I want to do it myself after this incident, definitely to double check that all lines are in good shape.

Many thanks in advance

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: North Trust bar 2018

Postby matth » Sat May 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Definitely not a common issue. I have been riding North for a few years and so do many of my friends, with very few problems.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat May 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Pretty clean cut! Pics don't reveal a wear area, though right above the bar could be where you twist in loops. Most of my line breaks were much more elongated and showed some "tearing" across the braid.

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Sat May 19, 2018 8:23 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2385229&p=845408&si ... 15#p845408

Known issue and still annoyed north haven’t bumped up the line

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon May 21, 2018 2:24 pm

I'd stay away from using North lines (even free) and spend a few bucks on hi quality aftermarket Spectra (Amsteel, Liros etc.). It will take you 15 minutes to learn how to splice it (Google) and 1 hour to measure, cut and splice and install. Once you have used good quality spectra you won't go back to leading brand crap.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.

Postby SaltWaterDog » Mon May 21, 2018 3:26 pm

100% what sarc said!

fabsix
Rare Poster
Gear: Kite

Postby fabsix » Tue May 22, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi,

I do not trust North/Teufelberger lines either, since the grey centerline snapped on my clickbar 2017 after max 5 sessions of use. I was very lucky that the line did not snap during the apex of a jump.

Samething happened to a friend of mine. So I believe it is unfortunately a common thing.

Have fun and kite safe.

Fab

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Wed May 23, 2018 3:16 pm

Did this happen on safety or did the kite slack and then reinflate in a gust? I just had this issue over the winter snowkiting. Mine snapped on safety and can't say for sure if it was my fault or not. I was using it on a pivot and had a funky not normal bridle wrap around a wing tip (devil gusts and rotor where also a factor as i was on a mountain). trying to get out of it was to throw safety twice the second time snapped it. between a possible deathloop situation and overloading as the safety was let go must have overloaded it and slacked and snapped is the only thing i could come up. Never had a problem since replaceing the lines.

Super easy to replace just take some pictures if you get in a pickle and undo one line at a time. the replaement centers are way cheaper then an entire lineset heck a new closeout bar is cheaper then the original lineset. Your steering lines will rarely if ever see the full loading that the centers will.

There is some mild tuneing when getting the replacement mostly getting the lines to match North made it really simple to adjust for this. We've always believed that lines stretch as they age when infact lines actually shrink as they age therfore the new set maybe longer then your outside lines when u get it setup.

Return to “Kitesurfing”