Ride Engine Rib Jab

Forum for kitesurfers
kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Ride Engine Rib Jab

Postby kitegirls » Sun May 20, 2018 4:24 am

Just got the 2018 Ride Engine harness and when I jump and transition the thing pokes me so hard in the ribs it feels like they could break. The left side pokes from the buckle and the right side is from some mystery spot. It doesn't appear to be the buckle on the right so I'm not sure. Ive never had this from any other harness. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Does anyone else have this issue?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Ride Engine Rib Jab

Postby BWD » Sun May 20, 2018 5:01 am

Had similar with various harnesses sometimes including a 2017 engine. Usually depends on what I’m wearing and perhaps if my weight is up or down a few pounds that season. Sadly it seems more of an issue when I drop a couple of pounds!
But if I put the engine on well It’s usually, at worst, more of a band of pressure at top edge that I can tolerate, not a single painful pressure point. And that doesn’t really happen if the wind is steady and I’m riding powered just right with a stable stance.
Maybe a different spreader could help, not sure since the engine I have is different/older. It has taken me a few sessions to get the harness dialed and deal
with it best with different wetsuits, rash guard, and slight variations in my body shape. Good harness overall for me though. They don’t fit everyone.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun May 20, 2018 7:33 am

I honestly feel that my ride engine harness is unsafe. First of all, like everyone that has one already knows, you really need to crank it super tight to make it work well. Then I have to relace the webbing through the buckle just so it doesn’t loosen up on me. That’s the unsafe part. Once I made a bad move almost knocking the wind out of me and in that frantic moment I couldn’t loosen the harness because of this and I couldn’t breath. That with having no knife and no really good spot to add your own makes a situation just ready for disaster. I’m planning on trying the new Magestic X this summer but I will
Never again buy Ride Engine. Just bad design.

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Mon May 21, 2018 11:21 am

Well... i love my RE 2015 harness a lot!
are you guys sure you picked up wright sizes?
all i can advise is - if you are on the boarder of the sizes go for a smaller one

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon May 21, 2018 1:36 pm

Just buy a seat harness. Waist harnesses are about fashion not function. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is not a waist harness on the planet that can match the comfort, support, and leverage of a seat...

Ianw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR8, Lieuwe Falcon & Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None - Cost me a fortune!!!
Has thanked: 0

Postby Ianw » Mon May 21, 2018 2:28 pm

zloilyoha wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:21 am
Well... i love my RE 2015 harness a lot!
are you guys sure you picked up wright sizes?
all i can advise is - if you are on the boarder of the sizes go for a smaller one
I agree and I love my RE Hex 2017 medium harness fixed 10 inch bar, waist size 34 ins. I have a bad back & being able to cinch it up tight unlike my previous harnesses has meant much better lower back support and a longer time on the water for me. It took about 3 sessions before the memory foam was completely comfortable.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon May 21, 2018 4:00 pm

Is the whole harness riding up?
Or the pad and bar?
Or just the bar rotating?
Gotta know the cause to fix it...

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Tue May 22, 2018 12:56 am

I tried the RE but for me the harness compressed the lower (floating) ribs. Most of the harnesses are an issue for me. I tried a lot of harnesses before finding the right one. I was lucky my local shop let me demo several of the most interesting ones including the majestic X. Good luck finding the right one, my choice was a rest over of an older model and is no longer available.

kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.

Postby kitegirls » Tue May 22, 2018 6:56 am

knotwindy wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:00 pm
Is the whole harness riding up?
Or the pad and bar?
Or just the bar rotating?
Gotta know the cause to fix it...
Harness is not riding at all. The left side pokes my ribs from the bar's strap attachment points and the right side is from some mystery spot. It doesn't appear to be the buckle on the right so I'm not sure. The buckle on the bar is rising a couple cm and possibly rotating a bit under pressure even when so tight I can barely breath. The bar's buckle design is very poor. They should not have made it protrude so much on top and/or placed the strap attachment points/ strap loops much lower. And like I said I have no idea where the right side pressure/poking is coming from. It doesn't appear to be the bar though. Something internal. Maybe the carbon? I saw on another topic someone says to tighten the crap out of the lower straps and leave the upper straps looser... Haven't got a chance to try that one yet.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue May 22, 2018 11:49 am

Suggestion: try a few different seat harness to see how you get on.

I use an Ion Echo which suits my shape and doesn't make my previously fractured left side ribs and damaged lower back hurt. In fact, my back feels better after a good session than before! I've tried several seat harnesses and before that several chest harnesses (which I find horribly restrictive).

Return to “Kitesurfing”