MartinRaz
Rare Poster
Gear: Switch Fone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where in Italy?

Postby MartinRaz » Tue May 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Family want's to go to Italy this summer.

I prefer either waves for SUP or wind for kitesurfing.
If kitesurfing anything goes - I have hydrofoil, twintip and wavebaord.

Two years ago, we went to Sardinia - REALLY beautiful place, but we bring caravan, so no ferry this time.

So where to go in Italy mainland - east or west?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Where in Italy?

Postby Toby » Tue May 22, 2018 3:26 pm

Calabria, in the South of Italy has excellent winds!
Not many people know this...but don't go to the more known west side, go to the east side, around Crotone.

Winds get regular up to 30 knots...several spots to choose from, depending on the forecasts.
Get in touch with locals, they will know exactly when and where the wind will blow...because you might wait on a beach and have 5 knots, while all locals are on the other beach with 30 knots ;-)

Check spots on here, I have been there personally: http://se.kiteforum.com/spots

Enjoy!

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where in Italy?

Postby piccio » Wed May 23, 2018 2:19 pm

calabria west,puglia east side .calabria more rocky,puglia more sand and longer beaches,anyway you can move with caravan and visit both as you like.
I have caravan too ,I stay all summer in sardinia north.the only thing I can tell you for sure is ,do not go in august ,crowded everywhere, higher prices,traffic ,beaches full of bathers.due to terrorism around world most italians do not go abroad and prefer south of italy.possibly avoid end of july august.best time is june or september no later than 15.
do not expect waves on east side ,more on west side anycase rare and small. something bigger west side of sardinia with high mistral.....maybe two or three time a month.
ciao

Return to “Kitesurfing”