Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Longboarding/Noserider with a kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Longboarding/Noserider with a kite?

Postby adamj2281 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:02 pm

I've thought about this for awhile when the wind is a bit light and there's a decent little knee to waist high wave coming in, has anyone ridden a longboard or maybe thought about designing a modified kiteboard that would work for longboard style on a wave?

I'm just thinking it could be kinda fun to walk the nose with a kite in hand, any thoughts?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Longboarding/Noserider with a kite?

Postby tautologies » Wed May 23, 2018 6:36 pm

adamj2281 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:02 pm
I've thought about this for awhile when the wind is a bit light and there's a decent little knee to waist high wave coming in, has anyone ridden a longboard or maybe thought about designing a modified kiteboard that would work for longboard style on a wave?

I'm just thinking it could be kinda fun to walk the nose with a kite in hand, any thoughts?
It works fun. To what extent you get to the nose well...its super easy on an LB...I wold take a look at Boardriding Maui Paipo or Naish Alaia. They are way smaller, and much more fun than LBs. Same goes for waves really...but that said, if you insist on making an LB...I would strong suggest rocket wings... :thumb: :thumb:

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Wed May 23, 2018 6:57 pm

Some photos of noseriding Kiteboards ,

scroll down the page.

http://www.gongkite.com/spip.php?page=n ... _principal

also lots of interesting Foil shots.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu May 24, 2018 12:27 am

I've ridden both SUP and longboard with a kite and it's pretty important that the water is relatively flat to make it fun. If it's choppy you just kind of slap the nose of the board against waves and you can't maneuver the board well enough to avoid the waves.

If you have a decent ground swell coming in a long board might be fun if the wind/wave angle is good. If it's onshore though it wont work as since you are on a long board that probably means 10 knots or less of wind so once you start moving in the wind direction in that light of wind the kite will need constant looping or it will drop and if you are looping the kite you aren't really riding the wave.

Now if you have cross shore winds or offshore winds (and a bay on the ocean side for safety) it can work well. Normally though the sea breeze will be dead onshore.

Here is a video of me trying to ride an 8 foot Wave Storm in onshore chop:
https://youtu.be/1DZa-oK50ws?t=260

If I was choosing a board to do it on I would probably go with Lib-Tech pickup stick 7-6, only 53L of volume though:
http://www.lib-tech.com/surfboards/pickup-stick-7-6/

Return to “Kitesurfing”