Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2-way waterproof radio /headsets?

Forum for kitesurfers
galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

2-way waterproof radio /headsets?

Postby galewarning » Fri May 25, 2018 2:02 pm

I currently use a pair of FRS handsets in drybags to teach with. A small one on the helmet and a larger unit for the instructor. This solution is cheap, but a bit bulky [for the unit attached to the helmet] and there's always the chance that the drybag doesn't live up to its name. The student can't respond, but at least the student can hear the instructor.
Other than the BbTALKIN, anyone know of any other waterproof Bluetooth radios? I keep waiting for something inexpensive and waterproof to come out of the motorcycle touring market...
TIA,
-B

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Re: 2-way waterproof radio /headsets?

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat May 26, 2018 4:39 pm

Maybe try hacking the radio, maybe crack open the case and taking out the electronics and consider the best arrangements on or in the helmet and then figure out how to secure them an waterproof them. I’ve had good luck using silicon sealer from the hardware store to as a glue and waterproof material that might work. A GoPro case with some hacking might work, also heatshrink wire wrap tubing, or maybe go to the hardware store and ask them what might work for what you want to do since they have a lot of new products, I would think the antenna will need to stick up to get decent reception which I think is limited to line of sight.

I was in an REI store recently and I think they had some push to talk buttons that could be attached to radios which might work for the student to transmit.

Search for FRS hacking to get ideas, Google: hacking frs radio

itsthekitetime
Rare Poster
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby itsthekitetime » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi! Any progress on the search for affordable/ practical radios? I'm also curious - I'd like to be able to communicate with friends out on the water (not for teaching purposes). I don't see many people using radios on the water, other than teachers/ students... Thanks! :D

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:45 pm

Any progress on the subject? There's a bunch of floating/waterproof 2-way models on Amazon, I'm wondering how these workout for kiting, especially in salt water.

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Until I find smaller radios... I'm still using my bagged FRS radios. Would also be nice if they were any RFS radio options which were truly rated IPX7 or 8. Think I'm going to modify a helmet(s) [aka carve away some of the plastic] in order to make a better niche for the radio to be strapped into. Right now, my setup looks like... a bagged radio strapped to a helmet, a bit unwieldy.
And just to clarify, I'm doing this as 1-way communication: one radio is handheld and used to talk to the other helmet mounted radio. The helmeted person can only listen, not communicate back. Two way comms would be awesome, but I'm not there yet...
-B

wazzaah
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Terschelling
Style: Wave
Gear: F-One
Brand Affiliation: Kitesurfschool Terschelling, Kitestart.nl
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby wazzaah » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Been using the BB Talkin system now for 2 years without any problems for teaching. Small, 2-way and up to 4 people can be connected. Great for the board riding lessons.

Azzieo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Local Beach: Belmont Shore
Leo Carillo
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Azzieo » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:08 am

I signed up for this Milo on Kickstarter.. sounds like it has some great features, and promise 1 mile range from device to device... Will see what comes out of it..

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:20 am

Be good to see a review of the Milo devices when they arrive. I saw the videos but it doesn't look like they were showing prototypes at that point so figured they might still be a long way off from delivery (been waiting 3 years so far for an ebike kite that I backed which is 2 1/2 years over its due date but at least its still going ahead)

Hopefully they learn from the problems that Woo/Trace/Xensr had with water ingress and start off with robust waterproofing as a primary feature.

Edit: I see they have a number of prototypes actually on the site now. Looks promising.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:36 pm

Anyone heard anything about an update from Milo on their progress with it? It looks really cool, but seems to be about a year and a half past their release date…

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:37 am

I went to the kickstarter page and I notice that all the progress updates are hidden and for backers only. Seems a bit suspicious to me. If you have a plan in place for delivery why wouldn't you want to advertise how much progress you are making to potential purchasers?

Return to “Kitesurfing”