Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Forum for kitesurfers
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby grigorib » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:54 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:37 pm
grigorib wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:53 pm
hmm, major adult videos webservices doesn't return anything significant for "EU oil" or "Boeing oil" keyword search....
Nope, that subject is too controversial for the mainstream media. But it is there, and you can see it between the lines, if you can think for yourself.

Population reduction, happening naturally in the EU with native Europeans, has the potential to DESTROY demand for energy and oil. ...
WWIII might be helpful then? Not the "clean nuclear" energy but population reduction would be so significant we might be back to very natural living for next 200-500 years at least.

On a smaller scale everyone can contribute though too. Don't make kids to start with. Don't consume electricity and tap water. Grow your own food, walk instead of using any transportation (making a bicycle is energy consumption too), don't buy anything. Look at CO2 emission levels in Africa - pretty clean and basic, just as quality of living. You have the choice, don't let your relatives and government tell you otherwise....

I know everyone's used to freedoms which is also a result of production means used by society but scaling down to slavery, raw water and eating roots is an acceptable for many. Also you won't need all the natural resources you're sitting on, so there'll be a taker, as usual...

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:12 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:43 pm
Oooh, gotta love the above assortment of conspiracy theories. lol

I certainly do not agree with most of what JustAGirl says. Nor would I say all the actors are complicit in the "conspiracy theory" you have alluded to. There is a high degree of likely hood that my assessment of "big oil's" is skewed toward believing they are active in the situation. As a group, big oil industry leaders may be much more passive on this subject, and very much are publicly - for good "PR" reasons. But I can guarantee that they are aware of the impending (but still years out) demographic change and it's potential for increased profits and volume.

So if you want to expand your level of logical reasoning, consider this: Many actors interests IN FAVOR of a policy can be can be in favor of that policy for DIFFERENT reasons. But the "conspiring" actors, who stand to benefit (at the expense of others) from a policy's implementation or continuation, are not going to oppose those in favor of what they are in favor of, just because they are in favor of it for a different reason. Stop here, go back and read that again, and try to understand the previous statement before you move on as it is pivotal to the next part. And if you are still unclear:

Group A: Those who stand to benefit at the expense of others (from policy X), will not profess that their motivation for support is for personal gain.
Group B: Those who DO NOT stand to benefit at the expense of others (from the same policy X), will profess their benevolence as that benevolence is palatable and more likely to get support (for policy X).

Because Group A would have a huge PR problem if their true motivations were confessed, Group A will be best served by publicly stating it's motivations are the same as Group B.

Thus you can have a "conspiracy" with many millions of supporters, though only a very few actors will truly benefit.

Look up "useful idiot" and you see which group you think that term would be the best fit for, A or B?

If you can understand the above, you will at least have a grasp on why the situation is much more complicated than just being a "conspiracy theory".

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:25 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:12 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:43 pm
Oooh, gotta love the above assortment of conspiracy theories. lol
Matteo V wrote:Stop here, go back and read that again, and try to understand the previous statement before you move on as it is pivotal to the next part. And if you are still unclear:
Tell us Matteo, what was your Masters and/or what are your credentials that make you feel entitled to be so patronising?
Last edited by iriejohn on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:26 pm

grigorib wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:54 pm
WWIII might be helpful then? Not the "clean nuclear" energy but population reduction would be so significant we might be back to very natural living for next 200-500 years at least.
Obviously in jest, I hope.

WWIII may not leave a clean place (relative to now) to worry about "saving".

The greatest obstacle to humanity going forward is likely this: How do we have a free and advancing society, while at the same time facing (and supporting) a population decline? Should an economist be reading this, is that even possible?

Given our current system based on growth (banking, corporate interests, social benefits), what would have to change? How do you change the monetary system to become compatible with a shrinking population (right now it is not). How can corporations deal with reductions in profits and growth forever? How can you support an increasing socialized society when tax revenues are declining? These problems going into the future are much more difficult (but a bit cleaner) than the "easy out" of WWIII.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:12 pm

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:06 am

Matteo I think you’re a bigger fool than Marlborough Girl. That’s not a little thing.
Talk about a bubble of idiocy.
You need to go back to school to learn how to write because clearly you think you’re good at it when dude, you’re not.
You babble like a baboon on crack.
Keep it simple man.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:29 am

chemosavi wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:06 am
Matteo I think you’re a bigger fool than Marlborough Girl. That’s not a little thing.
Talk about a bubble of idiocy.
You need to go back to school to learn how to write because clearly you think you’re good at it when dude, you’re not.
You babble like a baboon on crack.
Keep it simple man.

Criticism taken! I do envy those like you who can put their thoughts simply. My favorite orator of all time is Allen B. West. His ability to speak clearly, be straight forward, and convey thoughts in a simple manner that anyone can understand, is unparalleled in my opinion.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:09 am

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:25 pm
Tell us Matteo, what was your Masters and/or what are your credentials that make you feel entitled to be so patronising?
I'll try to simply further. I don't care about credentials. That's it.

But I am sorry you feel patronized. My intent is not to evoke emotion, but rather make you think about something complex in a step-by-step manner. If you don't want to do that, then don't do that. Should "not thinking critically" be your choice, you have lots of company in the human race.

A few years back, I came across this saying (attributed to many, in different forms):

"Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people."

Should you stoop to attacking the person (ad hominem), it shows an inability to attack the argument. Should you want to engage in a conversation about an idea, just remember - I have stated many times that I attack the argument not the person. Should you fail to present evidence contrary to an argument, and thus resort to attacking the person...... well most people can see through that attack on the presenter of the argument as a sign that the argument is strong and cannot be attacked (at least not by that person resorting to ad hominem). A person with little credibility CAN make a credible argument. A person with lots of credibility CAN make a poor argument. To not argue against someone, who has better credentials than me, would allow poor arguments to flourish. To not allow someone with less credentials to challenge me, would be allowing my own poor arguments go unchallenged. In the end, a challenge either reinforces an argument, or shows that it is not as strong as the one presenting it thinks. Credentials are incapable of that.

Here are some examples to think about:

1. A parrot is taught to say "the sky is blue". I would agree with that statement, even though a parrot had said it. And I would not attack the parrot's statement because it came from a parrot.
2. If a second parrot is trained to say "the sky is green", I would not agree with that statement, but would not also blame that statement being false on it coming from a bird. The reason why the statement is false is obvious and provable. I would not just say "stupid parrot".
3. Many times in my life, I have been right when a more educated and more credentialed person was wrong.
4. Many times in my life, I have been wrong when a less educated and less credentialed person was right.

Credentials are a great way of sorting out who should take responsibility for a decision that needs to be made quickly. This is analogous to tautologies comment about having a heart attack and just going with the nearest heart surgeon to save you.

However, even highly credentialed doctors can be better, worse, or completely incompetent. In a situation where there time for a discussion, the argument stands on it's own, and the credentials of the presenter are best left off the table. Should I present my credentials, I would be going against what I have said is self evident in this matter.
Last edited by Matteo V on Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:14 am

👍 on Allen West. Amazing individual. Intelligent and of the highest integrity.

And another few 👍’s on Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams since you’re mentioning people who know how to clearly articulate a point (and who also use their brains for thinking and save their feelings for actually feeling).

It’s so easy to mix things up and use our feelings for thinking (and it can make us feel better about ourselves), but I think it’s important to be able to separate the two things.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:18 am

loco4viento wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:14 am
It’s so easy to mix things up and use our feelings for thinking (and it can make us feel better about ourselves), but I think it’s important to be able to separate the two things.
Yes, but not everyone has the emotional intelligence to separate those things. That must be acknowledged in order to make sense of human behavior.

And that acknowledgment goes a long way in accepting others shortcomings without those shortcomings washing off on yourself.

Return to “Kitesurfing”