Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Forum for kitesurfers
Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:02 pm

Iriejohn- I will let you do your own research on that subject if it truly interests you.
I will only say this, in order to perk your interest more:

Fish of basically all species, fresh or salt water, it has been found, contain mercury. The higher up the food chain, the worse it is because of accumulation. For example, large tunas, shark etc, contain some of the highest levels.
The debate is about where it comes from (coal fired power plants releasing these metals into the atmosphere is the real answer). Some will try to tell you it has been there all along and it has nothing to do with coal or any other fossil fuel. Most of the people saying that, profit directly in some way by the sale or use of fossil fuel. Most of the people saying that it is from pollution and is fossil fuel related, do not stand to gain anything, except maybe safer food someday if this trend is reversed.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:09 pm

You are driven by hate of fossil fuels. If it's not climate it's air pollution. Whatever it takes. I don't have problem with nuclear but your comrades dooooo.
Read this book and you will sleep a little better at night.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:18 pm

And you are driven by a love of fossil fuels Marl.
We will just have to agree to disagree.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:21 pm

This topic might needs a boost so Toby finally closes it. How about:
- buying CO2 credits to offset using hot water for baths
- buying CO2 credits to offset live births which are still happening en masse and eventually significantly contribute to the pollution
- buying CO2 credits to offset using electricity
- buying CO2 credits to offset using drinking water
- buying CO2 credits to offset consumption in general
- buying CO2 credits to offset internet fearmongering

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:55 pm
Pemba wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:08 am
The CO2 influences/absorbs sunlight maybe ? Like shade ? I don't think that between you and me we will be closing any cases.
Close, but the science is in the details, not the big picture.

Sunlight comes through the atmosphere at a shorter wavelength (UV), passing right through "greenhouse" gasses. But when it hits the earth, it is changed to a longer wavelength (more toward the IR) that is actually reflected/scattered (not allowed to pass through) "greenhouse gasses".

So CO2 does not absorb the sunlight, at least not to the degree that absorbs what is changed to and then reflected back up from the ground.

This is the founding principle of the greenhouse effect - changing wave lengths upon reflection or absorption/re-emission.
Ok, well I have to admit that I wasn't really so convinced by my own argument/suposition (If CO2 absorbed so much energy of the sun where would all that energy go ? Some chemical reaction requiring lots of energy or something ? Just reflection then ? dubious..). So M&M raises a question I can't answer.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:17 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:03 pm

Would you provide links that provide proof that "almost every fish [is] dangerous to eat for pregnant women"?

Thanks.
Bam! I can. There is some danger in every single exposure to a toxin. Ooops, let me make that more clear. There is some STATISTICAL danger in every single exposure to a toxin. That danger to the amount could be "lottery chances", but still exists. A good way to understand this is to find out what LD50 vs LD100 vs LD20 means as far as toxins goes.

Greenturtle's statement is not false. But common understanding of that statement is very likely to be misinterpreted with respect to it's value.
That is not proof that "almost every fish [is] dangerous to eat for pregnant women".

Bam my arse.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:15 pm

Greenturtle wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:02 pm
Iriejohn- I will let you do your own research on that subject if it truly interests you.
I will only say this, in order to perk your interest more:

Fish of basically all species, fresh or salt water, it has been found, contain mercury. The higher up the food chain, the worse it is because of accumulation. For example, large tunas, shark etc, contain some of the highest levels.
The debate is about where it comes from (coal fired power plants releasing these metals into the atmosphere is the real answer). Some will try to tell you it has been there all along and it has nothing to do with coal or any other fossil fuel. Most of the people saying that, profit directly in some way by the sale or use of fossil fuel. Most of the people saying that it is from pollution and is fossil fuel related, do not stand to gain anything, except maybe safer food someday if this trend is reversed.
Name a food that does not potentially contains toxins.

FYI - I used to be in the animal, pet, and fish food business.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Fish. Before we burned mountains of coal.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Sorry I couldn’t resist. I do know that there are a few natural toxins in certain fish as well...that can usually be easily avoided.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SaltWaterDog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Watching this thread evolve is fun. Personally, I find the carbon offset thing stupid and it’s no secret that it has no real scientific legitimacy. The notion that offsets can sum to zero just as not taking that flight to your kite destination sums to zero is laughable. All you’re doing with offsets is spurring economic development (not necessarily a bad thing) in the short term and completely neglecting repercussions for emissions in the long term. I consider offsets a “feel good” half assed solution and nothing more.

I’m fully on board with the whole climate change panic but I wish (especially American) lefties would wake up and stop promulgating the armageddon narrative. It’s easy enough to make a business case for acting on climate change and green sector jobs so there’s no point in scaremongering. So please drop the “don’t have kids!” arguments and the like. They don’t work and you just look tone deaf.

With respect to some of the climate change denial comments on here all I can say is “thank you!”. America has left the initiative to Europe, China and India to develop, patent and sell the only tech that matters to the rest of the world. And if you don’t believe the Chinese and Indians are committed to this you should go spend some time in <fill in Asian metropolis of your choosing> to be convinced.

Take the damn vacation, what matters most is what you do day to day to reduce your footprint.

Return to “Kitesurfing”