Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Forum for kitesurfers
Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Just as one example of the reasons behind my, personal, hate of fossil fuel, apart from the climate debate, but related to the topic of what causes it, coal mining:
158A1C8E-D389-4177-B484-0870D233E80F.png
This is a map of streams and rivers in my home state of Pennsylvania, which also happens to be home of anthracite- the finest and hardest coal in the world.
See what mining coal has done. The rivers in red are roughly the same acidity as coca-cola, and have no fish (or insects really) at all. The green shown are also acidic, but some few species of fish have clung on, barely. Streams in Pennsylvania that have not been effected by coal mining are full of trout.

Anyone that thinks they can convince me that coal is ok to extract (and even burn)- Take a look at what happened already in my homeland and think again.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SaltWaterDog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:09 pm

I don’t disagree with you, @Greenturtle but I think more would be accomplished by dangling healthier well paying jobs (like solar panel installation for example) in front of your average coal miner, if you want to get him on your side and end coal mining. Telling him he’s responsible for destroying your home doesn’t strike me as a way to go about it.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:33 pm

I do not blame the miners one bit. I have friends who are miners.
The demand for coal is insatiable. If those guys didn’t mine it someone else would. I cannot personally offer anyone a different job. I am only one citizen.
My only goal in posting the above map is to increase awareness of yet another horrible consequence in the long list of detrimental impacts of fossil fuels.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:48 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:06 pm
Bam my arse.
Hey, I won't judge. To each his own.

But my point flew right over you head. A low risk IS a risk. And every fish carries a risk. How low of a risk would you consider dangerous for your unborn granddaughter/grandson? Should your daughter or daughter-in-law eat lots of fish out of the North Sea while pregnant? If so, at what odds (that LD thingy) would you reverse that decision.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster

Postby SaltWaterDog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:00 pm

Greenturtle wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:33 pm
I do not blame the miners one bit. I have friends who are miners.
The demand for coal is insatiable. If those guys didn’t mine it someone else would. I cannot personally offer anyone a different job. I am only one citizen.
My only goal in posting the above map is to increase awareness of yet another horrible consequence in the long list of detrimental impacts of fossil fuels.
I wasn’t suggesting you personally take responsibility, but your frustration, right as it is, is fuel for the hippie narrative that turns off conservatives and climate change skeptics. That’s why I harp on about switching to a more tangible narrative like green sector jobs. Concluding that thirst for coal is insatiable is incorrect. Coal industry is stagnant and green sector jobs are only growing. It is a failure of politics that climate change hasn’t been adopted by conservatives.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Greenturtle wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:18 pm
And you are driven by a love of fossil fuels Marl.
We will just have to agree to disagree.
I love cheap reliable and abundant energy that allows people to have good life. There is another book for you.

If this is too much for you to swallow try reading a book written in 1800's so you can get a sense of life without. Dostoevsky ie. if you like psychology. There is also a way for people who feel so strong about these issues. Go off the grid. People actually do it. Poverty is another thing you could try, and it should be easy enough project to accomplish.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:16 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:48 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:06 pm
Bam my arse.
Hey, I won't judge. To each his own.

But my point flew right over you head. A low risk IS a risk. And every fish carries a risk. How low of a risk would you consider dangerous for your unborn granddaughter/grandson? Should your daughter or daughter-in-law eat lots of fish out of the North Sea while pregnant? If so, at what odds (that LD thingy) would you reverse that decision.
All foods carry risks.

As I said earlier to another poster:
Name a food that does not potentially contain toxins.
A low risk IS a risk, isnt it? :lol:

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:10 am

marlboroughman wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:17 pm
Greenturtle wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:18 pm
And you are driven by a love of fossil fuels Marl.
We will just have to agree to disagree.
I love cheap reliable and abundant energy that allows people to have good life. There is another book for you.

If this is too much for you to swallow try reading a book written in 1800's so you can get a sense of life without. Dostoevsky ie. if you like psychology. There is also a way for people who feel so strong about these issues. Go off the grid. People actually do it. Poverty is another thing you could try, and it should be easy enough project to accomplish.
Coal is only cheap if you do not place any value whatsoever on the environment. It pollutes huge in every category as I keep pointing out.

And we dont need any of that old stored up energy any more anyway Marl, now we have technology that can harness the daily massive dose of brand new energy we receive every day all day long! Its so awesome! The potential is there! We can have our cake and eat it too! All we have to do is make the initial investments and its ours for the taking.

Incidentally, I have lived off the grid 3 months each year for my whole life. I hope to increase that in my later years as I find that to be the definition of the good life for me. It’s surely not enjoyable for everyone.

You enjoy a combustion free wind powered sport that costs a little extra money to participate in. You are sooooooo close. Just take the next step. Ride the wind man. Plug the heck into that sh!t! Be willing to pay a little extra for cleaner power and ride the freakin wave of success all the way in brother.

Don’t settle for pollution.
Ride the wave. Catch the breeze! F*k do them both at the same time!!!

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:31 am

I am all for it under one condition - except for public road to the plant they get nothing. I would drop some of my own retirement savings on something like fusion which is base power, when the time is right.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster

Postby SaltWaterDog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:47 am

Plenty of good reasons to invest in solar and power storage today. In the next 5 to 10 years we’re going to see a massive shift once Mr. & Mrs. Suburbia realise they won’t just be able to unplug but will actually make money selling power back to the grid. Solar and battery combined will do a lot and costs are already trending down in a hurry. Waiting for the fusion holy grail to solve all clean energy problems is a bit of a pipe dream. Here in DK we average about 42% on wind power and quite often the entire country runs on wind when weather permits. Solar cell tech is also becoming so efficient that it now has real application in not so sunny parts of the world.

Return to “Kitesurfing”