Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

Harness replacement webbing

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat May 26, 2018 11:07 pm

Anyone know of any online shop in Europe selling Cabrinha replacement webbing ? I have a naish harness and the webbing is looking very worn, the replacment Naish webbing it too thin and flimsy. I previously bought some heavy duty Cabrinha webbing but struggling to find any online.

Thanks

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Harness replacement webbing

Postby grigorib » Sun May 27, 2018 12:05 am

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:07 pm
Anyone know of any online shop in Europe selling Cabrinha replacement webbing ? I have a naish harness and the webbing is looking very worn, the replacment Naish webbing it too thin and flimsy. I previously bought some heavy duty Cabrinha webbing but struggling to find any online.

Thanks
My advice - take it to a local shoe/bag repair shop. They have the materials and can stitch anything together. They do great job repairing harnesses.
Last edited by grigorib on Mon May 28, 2018 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:23 am

Grigorib gives good advice. You could take it to a kite repair as well. Or a sail repair place.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun May 27, 2018 10:46 am

This is the Cabrinha webbing I am after... quite pricey though!

https://www.npsurf.com/collections/repl ... ckle-strap

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sun May 27, 2018 1:40 pm

I have more than fair share of experience in breaking harnesses because I crash hard.
Any hardware store will have better nylon webbing than you can get from a kite manufacturer at a fraction of the cost. Get it.
Don't go to shoe repairers for the fix. All of my harnesses repaired by shoe shops broke again because they don't have nearly strong enough thread. Also the last shoe repairer I used broke 3 of his own needles to fix my harness. Not worth it.
To repair pretty much any part of the harness use rivets. Stainless steel is best but even cheapo rivets hold up really well. Get them from a clothes DYI shop. You'll need a punch to make the holes and a hammer to drive the rivet in. Much faster cheaper and much much stronger than sewing. I have repaired 2 harnesses using this kind of rivets and they lasted years. Pro tip: hot glue works really well to hold everything in place while you whack away with the hammer and the hole punch.

https://sew4home.com/tips-resources/sew ... g-projects

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon May 28, 2018 12:53 am

For years sailors have used this tool to sew quick repairs on heavy sails.
It handles harness webbing easily. Any marine store has it, or try Amazon. It comes with heavy thread.. and instructions for those that don't know how to sew (like me).

:wink: CG
awl.JPG

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Mon May 28, 2018 7:33 am

I can vouch for cglazier's answer, the speedy stitcher. My last repair was original Neil Pryde windsurfing harness webbing I've had since 1998 (it had a decade to rest)
I used my speedy stitcher and some 550kg breaking strain roof rack/truck deck tie down webbing.
The thread I use is thick waxed nylon, stronger than the original.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 am

The webbing on my Ion Apex got worn as well.
It lasted about 50 days of use.
I wish it lasted longer, or at least it didn't need professional sewing to replace it.
Attachments
WP_20180621_001.jpg

StillLovinIt
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NorCal
Gear: multiple brands

Postby StillLovinIt » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:52 pm

Do the kitesurfing harness manufacturers use nylon webbing or do they use polyester webbing?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:04 pm

There is nothing special about that webbing you can buy it at the hardware store. Then you take either an industrial sewing machine or an awl and sew it together or get someone to do it for you. You might want to source the webbing yourself before you take it to a shoe shop or sailmaker. I usually just use an awl and sew it together myself.

doesn't matter too much if it's nylon or polyester, the webbing used has a strength of a ton or so at that thickness, all that matters is when it gets worn down too much it can fail.

Once it is properly repaired it should be stronger than brand new as typically the harness makers typicall use some v96 polyester thread or the equivalent to make it initially and the repair will have much stronger thread that will wear longer.

Most of the wear from the harness comes from the spreader hook rising up and falling down and then the webbing wears at the sides of the spreader bar. I get that a lot because I like to wear my harness pretty loose. I think the ride engine webbing lasts a bit longer because of the way they have it attached to the spreader hook, it doesn't move around as much. I think if you wear your harness really tight the webbing doesn't wear as much but I don't like a tight harness.

polyester has better uv resistance, but I usually get nylon webbing anyway.

Return to “Kitesurfing”