Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: EDGARTOWN
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Another which kite? post

Postby lizards » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:18 am

Hello folks,

I've taken a lesson and been flying my trainer kite, going to buy a kite soon. Currently trying to choose between a new 2012 switchblade with bar for $700 or a used 2014 rebel with bar for $500. It seems like both would make solid kites, but is it worth paying $200 more for a slightly older cabrinha because its brand new? Has the technology changed that much since then? I can think of a reasonable argument either way so I'd like your input.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Naish, Epic, F-one, Shinn
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well and fun to fly

Re: Another which kite? post

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:38 am

With older kites your main concern should be valves becoming unglued.. new or not.. get the rebel.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Style: ride in circles & figure 8s
Gear: 5 to 7 year old kites & 4 to 8 year surfboards
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby PullStrings » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:17 am

Rebel

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:34 am

I would shy away from both.

The Rebel is a 5th line in that year. Having the loaded 5th line bar is super safe, but a pain if you don't know how to set the "loaded 5th" line to shape the kite. And at this age, it could be way out of tune.

The Switchblade was a pretty solid kite on a 4line bar. But the CL release was a nightmare to put back together that year. Think box of Legos and Duplos mixed together. You can tell which is which, but you are always tempted to try to use a Duplo to save a bunch of Legos but it never works out.

And from the Duplo website "The fun never stops with these colorful LEGO® DUPLO® bricks! Just change that to 'The fun never stops trying to put together an old Cabrinha release while your kite is rolling around in the waves'.

They had contest putting together the Cabrinha release back in the day. Watch this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3QUCGko300

Notice the second kid has a spare Cabby release that he has to always have in his hands even after he has finished putting the first one together.

I also heard about a guy that had the Cabrinha release come alive on him and turn into a little transformer, then took a leak on the guy's kite (robot oil) and then ran down the beach and got away from the kiter. That is the only time I ever lent a bar to someone - the guy that told me this happened to him while I was up at my car getting a smaller kite. I did not see this happen, but I believed the guy since there was some oil looking stuff on his kite.

Honestly, this makes me want to buy a Cabby release from that year and try to figure it out. Plus, maybe I could train the little transformer guy to not pee on my kite, but still launch it safely and wait around till I get back and need a land.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:01 am

First thing I did when I saw a 2012 bar was pull the QR and put it back together. It wasn't as easy as the early ones (nothing is!) but it's not as bad as people have made out. But you can thank the "ew I don't like swivels and I must have front line safety" fashion victims for the new wonky bar designs...

I'd go Rebel too cos it's cheaper and newer, although you gotta wonder why.

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9

Postby lindseym » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:45 am

That was a primo year for the Switchblade but I would definitely go for the Rebel. That year and model are solid for the Reb and North made some massive advancements in bar technology by that point and its much closer to what you would see today. The Cab bar back then was not all that great in comparison. You will definitely want to tune and check the lines to make sure that everything is in check. If its not too much, I would even consider contacting Kiteboarding.com to get a quote on putting new lines onto the bar. This will make a huge difference in the overall performance. Good luck and let us know what you end up going with.

apollo4000
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber Sands
Favorite Beaches: Camber Sands, Greatstone, Minnis Bay, The Bluff, Marazion, Alcudia
Style: trying hard
Gear: Blade, North, Nomad, Shinn, Ocean Rodeo, Nobile, Airush, Slingshot, Crazyfly
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:30 am

I’ve had 2010 SB and 2016 Rebels - both 2 years off the kites you’re being offered so take into account. I preferred the R vs SB. I love the stability of the 5line in gusts so if gusts are frequent where you ride then it’s worth considering. Both kites are supported by quality brands. My gut says go for the more recent model but condition is important. Take a more experienced kiter to check it out if you can.

Then choose the Rebel lol.

Sun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Gear: 15m Chrono V2
12m Hyperlink
12m TS V5, 9m TS V6, 7m TS V6
10m Roca V2
6m Alana (2016)
CF Bulldozer
Nobile XTR
Nobile Zen Split Foil
Zeeko Spitfire, Normal & XLW

Postby Sun » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Depending on what sizes you are looking at, you can get new gear for not much more, just FYI.

Like a 10m 2017 Naish Slash and 2016 Liquid Force bar for $950.

https://www.realwatersports.com/collect ... 9269358633
https://www.realwatersports.com/collect ... ar-46-56cm

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Sun wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:43 pm
Depending on what sizes you are looking at, you can get new gear for not much more, just FYI.
This. ^^

I'd pass on the older gear and buy something new. There are some great deals on 2017 kites now, and you won't be disappointed in a brand spanking new kite and bar. If you're planning on taking another lesson (or two - sounds like you're not up and riding yet??), do that before buying your first kite. Both the SB and Rebel are great kites, but the ones you're considering are old enough to be a pain if valves are detaching or bladders have slow leaks. As a beginner, you won't want to deal with that stuff. Have fun. :thumb:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:12 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:12 pm
Sun wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:43 pm
This. ^^

I'd pass on the older gear and buy something new. There are some great deals on 2017 kites now, and you won't be disappointed in a brand spanking new kite and bar.
This. ^^^

There are still plenty of new 2017 kites around and the 2019 stuff is due out soon so it doesn't take much to figure out that prices of new 2017 kites are going to take yet another hit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”